Stretch ladders for dancers

Lemongirl

EEEEEEEK!!!

I would NOT like the sound of any young dancer using these! Not only is there the potential for injury whilst using it, but if a young dancer has extreme amounts of passive flexibility they are much more prone to injury when they're dancing!

Let me guess - either someone on instagram has one? If their teacher has recommended one I'd be seriously concerned...

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Lemongirl said:

Thank you, she's not on Instagram but uses Snapchat and TikTok.  I have no idea where she heard about them from.

If you search the forum for “oversplits”, @Lemongirl, there are lots of threads on the subject, going back a few years.  They are discussed in this interesting thread about why the Australian Ballet stopped stretching:  

I know we’ve also had discussions about the dangers of passive stretching, stretching before completely warmed up, stretching at home and - on a slightly different tack - following dancers/young dancers on Social Media who post pictures and videos of themselves in oversplits and other contortions.  At best, it’s a bad example and can cause minor injury, at worst, it can cause severe, training-ending injuries.  I’ll see if I can find the thread I’m thinking of.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Canary said:

Remind all your dancers that flexibility alters due to hormones what comes naturally one term feels impossible the next. That is completely normal 

Yes - and that if you have joints that are too flexible, you also need strength around those joints.  

• Like 4

On 08/12/2020 at 20:42, Anna C said:

Yes - and that if you have joints that are too flexible, you also need strength around those joints.  

this in buckets ...  

there are  a few of us here who have a particular personal interest in this   despite being  rather older ...