"On Pointe": new Disney film

I found a trailer for a new Disney film, "On Pointe", on my YouTube app the other day.  From what I could see before something went wrong, it looks like a documentary about the School of American Ballet.  Does anyone know any more about it?  I think it's due out (whatever that may mean at present) in a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, alison said:

I found a trailer for a new Disney film, "On Pointe", on my YouTube app the other day.  From what I could see before something went wrong, it looks like a documentary about the School of American Ballet.  Does anyone know any more about it?  I think it's due out (whatever that may mean at present) in a couple of weeks.

https://disneyplusoriginals.disney.com/show/on-pointe

• 3 weeks later...

I've just watched the first episode and enjoyed it - it's very much docu-drama, but they went through the audition process for the various levels of the school and will clearly follow a couple of dancers at each level throughout the series.  I know very little about Balenchine, so I found it very interesting.

We are at the tail end of a 6-month free Disney Plus subscription with O2 so that might be worth looking into for anyone with O2.

• Like 1

While I enjoyed On Pointe very much, the same subject (SAB and auditions/preparation of Nutcracker) was dealt with in a more satisfying manner - more naturally, not as “manipulated,” for lack of better word - in the 2003 documentary by Virginia Brooks titled The Nutcracker Family: Behind the Magic. I purchased the DVD. Not sure if it’s available on YouTube or other streaming service nowadays.

It’s really interesting to see the older film, after viewing the new Disney one. Of course, the Disney one is slicker and follows specific kids, enhancing human interest...but, to me, it seems a tad contrived. 

• Like 1

Guardian reviews generally draw a few eye-rolls from me, as does this, but she's right about the overall warmth (btw my eyes rolled again at the WSJ review demanding more tension, anxiety and drama). We're really enjoying this series, and admiring the talent, personableness and determination of the young dancers. We just watched the episode where the youngsters come together for the first time in rehearsal with the principals - and it was both amusing and touching to see how the children's wide-eyed adulation of Megan Fairchild made them forget to actually move rather than just gaze at her dancing... There are glimpses of what the parents also have to bring to the table for these kids to succeed, and it would be interesting to see more on how the wide range of domestic financial situations depicted may affect the dancers' opportunities. The style of presentation is very laid back, but it's edited in a way that gives opportunity to read between the lines with little pauses, looks between parents etc. Well worth a watch.

• Like 1