RB Insight and rehearsal for Nutcracker (on YouTube)

I rather enjoyed tonight's insight - Nathalie Harrison introduced, qyuick interview with Kevin O'Hare, then Christopher Saunders rehearsed Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe in the pdd (from the Gpdd). Its almost fascinating watching how they tweak a cm here, and arm there, so that come performance time, it all looks so natural and 'effortless'. The second rehearsal part was then the Hans-Peter/Clara pdd with Leo Dixon and Romany Pajdak, which was a joy to watch, as Gary Avis refined each tiny nuance.

Its still up on YouTube if you want to catch it (and missed it this evening)

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Really enjoyed this evening's insight. Was it Ms Harrison's debut at presenting?

I think so - for the cameras. But I went to a 'live' event about two years ago where she made a presentation just as ably as she introduced the rehearsal tonight.

What an enjoyable couple of practice sessions to be treated to!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

Yes, I concur with all above comments and particularly enjoyed Nathalie Harrison’s contribution as compère. I am always struck by the positivity of the coaches at the Royal Ballet which surely brings out the best in the dancers. Great to see the career progression of Anna Rose and Marcelino from their former roles of Clara/ Hans-Peter. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed this very much. I thought that Anna-Rose O’Sullivan was showing a new maturity in her style (I mean that as a positive) and I concur with the approval for Leo Dixon. Very interesting to hear Christopher Saunders talking about some of the issues of partnering. Good to see the lovely Romany Pajdak. Has any other dancer made her debut as Clara having been the Nurse in Romeo and Juliet? I think she is a most lovely artist who has taken a long time to find any sort of prominence but I am not entirely sure that management quite knows what to do with her particular talents. For what it is worth, I think she’d be a wonderful Larisch and an interesting choice as Giselle.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Enjoyed this very much. I thought that Anna-Rose O’Sullivan was showing a new maturity in her style (I mean that as a positive) and I concur with the approval for Leo Dixon. Very interesting to hear Christopher Saunders talking about some of the issues of partnering. Good to see the lovely Romany Pajdak. Has any other dancer made her debut as Clara having been the Nurse in Romeo and Juliet? I think she is a most lovely artist who has taken a long time to find any sort of prominence but I am not entirely sure that management quite knows what to do with her particular talents. For what it is worth, I think she’d be a wonderful Larisch and an interesting choice as Giselle.

Spot on James, could not agree more. She performed beautifully in the gala recently and like others are sorry the casting was not available before booking opened as I would like to have seen her. There is a huge amount of talent in this company, how can they all be kept contented?  For clarity I am talking about Romany, Anna-Rose is already well established.

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I think she is a most lovely artist who has taken a long time to find any sort of prominence but I am not entirely sure that management quite knows what to do with her particular talents.

Well, at least they're finally doing something with them.  Better late than never.

18 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Lovely Insight to two Nutcracker pdds! Enjoyed all of the participants but have really taken to Leo Dixon...now on my radar. 😉 

Have to say that Leo Dixon has been 'on my radar for quite a while. :)

If anyone gets a spare ticket for his debut on 31st Dec or 1st Jan PLEASE let me know ( gushing fan) 

• Like 1

Yes I did look at that programme on Jan 1st just to see what the seats were but there were only about three seats left in the Amphi already! I just can’t sit at the back of the Amphi these days. 
I loved this rehearsal too ...all the little corrections ..it’s very nerve wracking getting a correction right first time as little habits can develop!!! .....and was impressed with Leo Dixon as well ....I think I’ve seen him at one of those senior RBS students performances but a wonderful opportunity for him and Romany of course and she will be a very convincing Clara as has a young feel about her. 

I do hope there will be one livestream...even if can only watch it the next day lol. 

4 hours ago, Mandy Kent said:

Have to say that Leo Dixon has been 'on my radar for quite a while. :)

If anyone gets a spare ticket for his debut on 31st Dec or 1st Jan PLEASE let me know ( gushing fan) 

Leo has been on my radar too (actually since his RBS/Aud Jebsen days) but I'm very fortunate as my 'pot luck' booking has netted a ticket for the 1st Jan for that super cast.

• Like 3

I thought it was interesting that Natalie was asking about the partnership between Marcelino and Anna Rose and basically saying it's the next big thing - I found that interesting that it came from within the company. Surely they are going to have to make her a principal soon even if it feels like there are others who should get there first.

• Like 1

Anna Rose had an extraordinary 12 months up to March 2020 with stunning debuts as Juliet, Aurora and Swanilda  as well as numerous ‘leads’ in mixed bills.

She could well have been in line for promotion at the end of the 2019/20 season (along with Fumi Kaneko and, perhaps, Mayara Magri). Maybe they (and we) could have a nice surprise after Nutcracker? (I know about the presentational issues when ROH jobs are being lost, but moving from being a First Soloist to the starting salary for a Principal does not cost the Earth) and these three dancers have made a really major contribution to the RB’s online offer during the pandemic.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

Abut moving from being a First Soloist to the starting salary for a Principal does not cost the Earth) 

Curious...how much?

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Anna Rose had an extraordinary 12 months up to March 2020 with stunning debuts as Juliet, Aurora and Swanilda  as well as numerous ‘leads’ in mixed bills.

Dancing Clara and debuting Sugar Plum Fairy in the same run is also pretty special!

• Like 1

Francesca Hayward having been the last to do it.  Mind you, a lot of Sugar Plums are too tall for consideration as a Clara.

I'm not sure whether the optics, financially, at least, of a promotion (or even two) in the current climate would be very good, though.

These insights are so special ...  hearing the dancers being interviewed, the interaction between dancers and coaches, the attention to details (that we’ll all be watching out for!), and then there’s the actual dancing too.  And very close up.  
Thank you RB!

Delighted to see a new presenter from amongst the company.  She was super.  Relaxed, knowledgeable and concise.  

Marci & Anna-Rose looked performance ready (to me) after only 2 rehearsals!   I agree with an earlier comment that AR looks to have a new confidence / poise / maturity about her.   I so wish I could see this cast live too ... though I am delighted with the casting I have (booked blind as most here did) of Kaneko/Bracewell with Maeda/Yudes on 29th Dec.   Fingers crossed that all these performances get to happen.

I was very impressed with Romany.  She is going to be truly lovely in this role.  And I felt for Leo who voiced the lack of partnering for 7 months which showed in the difficult and surprisingly quick movements in this gorgeous pdd.  I am sure they will improve vastly in the next few weeks of rehearsals.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

Delighted to see a new presenter from amongst the company.  She was super.  Relaxed, knowledgeable and concise. 

I completely agree (Nathalie Harrison, to save anyone hunting for it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Francesca Hayward having been the last to do it. 

Yes - and I was delighted that Francesca Hayward kept Clara at least in her first SPF run. She was also by then a Principal. I wonder when a First Soloist danced Clara and debuted as SPF in the same run?

27 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes, I think so.  Was that the year it was broadcast?  

I just checked the Radio Times archive for the date of broadcast and they have it as December 30, 2000.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/cfd8ed9746884d49b345be09ed0458fd

According to Alina Cojocaru's bio (which is still on the ROH website) she was promoted in April 2001

http://www.roh.org.uk/people/alina-cojocaru

Edited to add that, as BBB says, she did do both roles in the 2001/2 season (i.e. after she had been promoted to principal )

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, capybara said:

She could well have been in line for promotion at the end of the 2019/20 season (along with Fumi Kaneko and, perhaps, Mayara Magri). Maybe they (and we) could have a nice surprise after Nutcracker? (I know about the presentational issues when ROH jobs are being lost, but moving from being a First Soloist to the starting salary for a Principal does not cost the Earth) and these three dancers have made a really major contribution to the RB’s online offer during the pandemic.

Is it likely the RB would acquire even one new female principal, let alone three, without any of the current female principals retiring/leaving? The male first soloists must all be thinking about their promotional possibilities given Watson's imminent retirement has been announced but there hasn't, at least publically, been any intimation that any of the female principals are about to do the same. Admittedly they are down one for this season with Cuthberston's pregnancy but I don't recall the RB doing temporary maternity cover promotions in the recent past.