Sadler's Wells Global Gala, 5th December 2020, 7.30 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but I just received an email from Sadlers Wells announcing a free virtual Global Gala on 5 December.  The email itself mentioned some of the participants (Osipova & Acosta included). Registration link:

https://www.sadlerswells.com/receive-updates-about-sadlers-wells-global-gala/

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More information on Global Gala from Sadler's Wells on Dec 5

The Sadler’s Wells Global Gala will be broadcast online and whether you join us for five minutes or for the whole hour, all are very welcome. Expect to see performances, sketches and messages from our global family, all in support of the theatre. All funds raised will be matched and will contribute to the full reopening of our theatres and the return of our artists and audiences.

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2020/sadlers-wells-global-gala/

From the webpage - unsurprisingly, a huge roster of names:

After an exceptional year we are delighted to bring together talented artists and ambassadors from around the world in a varied programme which celebrates the beauty and joy of dance.

The Sadler’s Wells Global Gala will be broadcast online and whether you join us for five minutes or for the whole hour, all are very welcome. Expect to see performances, sketches and messages from our global family, all in support of the theatre. All funds raised will be matched and will contribute to the full reopening of our theatres and the return of our artists and audiences.

The Global Gala will include appearances from:

Carlos Acosta
Nafisah Baba
Brenda Emmanus
William Forsythe
Antony Gormley
Sylvie Guillem
Akram Khan
Soweto Kinch
Jason Kittelberger
Ophelia Lovibond
Magical Bones
Russell Maliphant with National Youth Dance Company
Lukas McFarlane
Natalia Osipova
Fiona Shaw
Hofesh Shechter
Sting

We hope you will be able to join us for this unique occasion. You can register below to receive updates and be the first to hear about our exciting line up, or make a donation to the Gala.

• alison changed the title to Sadler's Wells Global Gala, 5th December 2020, 7.30 pm

U2FkbGVyJ3MgV2VsbHMgUHJlc3MgUmVsZWFzZSBIZWFkZXIuanBn

Friday 27 November 

Full line-up announced for Sadler’s Wells Global Gala - a virtual fundraiser celebrating the UK’s leading dance house  

Sadler’s Wells Global Gala is a very special one-off event, supported by Bottega Veneta, celebrating the UK’s leading dance house and its international dance community 

The event features appearances from world-leading dancers and choreographers including Carlos Acosta, Sylvie Guillem, Akram Khan and Natalia Osipov 

As this challenging and unprecedented year draws to a close, Sadler's Wells brings together a group of some of its most talented artists, collaborators, and fans from all over the world, for its first ever virtual fundraising gala.  

Taking place on Saturday 5 December at 7:30 pm GMT, this specially curated online showcase will feature bespoke performances, sketches, and messages from Sadler's Wells global family of artists and friends. Audiences can register for more information about the event here.  

After a difficult year for artists, audiences, and organisations around the world, the Global Gala is set to celebrate the joy and beauty of dance, whilst raising funds that will support the future full reopening of Sadler's Wells, following the longest period of closure in its 300-year history. The Gala will reflect on this extraordinary year and speak to why it's especially important to keep celebrating and promoting dance at this time. 

Thanks to support from Italian fashion house Bottega Veneta and its creative director Daniel Lee, the hour-long programme is free to access online via Sadler’s Wells YouTube channel, and will include opportunities for audiences to donate. All funds raised through the event will be matched and will contribute to the full reopening of our theatres and the return of artists and audiences to our spaces.  

The evening features appearances from a diverse and international group of world-leading dancers and choreographers, from household names to breakthrough talent across ballet, contemporary and hip-hop dance stylesArtists appearing include Carlos Acosta, Nafisah Baba, William Forsythe, Sylvie Guillem, Akram Khan, Jason Kittelberger, Magical Bones, Lukas McFarlane, Natalia Osipova, Alesandra Seutin, Hofesh Shechter, and James Whiteside, alongside companies including Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan, Russell Maliphant with National Youth Dance Company, and Soweto Skeleton Movers. 

The evening also features appearances and messages of support from Sadler's Wells ambassadors and friends including acclaimed sculptor Antony Gormley, broadcaster Brenda Emmanus, actor Ophelia Lovibond, composer and saxophonist Soweto Kinch, award-winning actor and director Fiona Shaw, and 17-time Grammy Award-winning artist, Sting.  

Performances featured in the event include a specially commissioned performance of the duet, Fields Of Gold, from Sadler’s Wells Associate Artist Kate Prince’s Message In A Bottle, performed by two of the original company Nafisah Baba and Lukas McFarlaneMessage In A Bottlea Sadler’s Wells and Universal Music UK production, sadly had to close its run at The Peacock theatre earlier this year due to the coronavirus lockdown. Fields Of Gold will appear with a special introduction from Sting. The filming of Fields Of Gold was made possible by support from Barclays. 

The programme also features Once With, a short new work choreographed especially for the Global Gala by internationally acclaimed Jason Kittelberger. This new duet will be danced by Jason Kittelberger and one of the world’s greatest ballerinas and Royal Ballet principal, Natalia Osipova to Jean Sibelius’s 13 Pieces for PianoOp.76: No.2 - Etude arranged for cello and classical guitar.  

The Sadler’s Wells Global Gala is made possible with support from headline partner, Bottega Veneta. Throughout 2020, Sadler’s Wells and Bottega Veneta have cemented their partnership to sustain creativity in its purest expressionwith the two creative organisations continuing to collaborate and find ways to support one another, as we navigate these unprecedented times. 

Alistair Spalding, Artistic Director and Chief Executive of Sadler’s Wells said'2020 has been a challenging year to say the least. In normal circumstances, Sadler's Wells welcomes over half a million people to our spaces each year, and our artists and audiences are what keep our world turning. For most of 2020, that hasn't been possible.  

Nonetheless, we remain committed to our mission and continue to strive to make and share dance that inspires us all in new and innovative ways. We wanted to find a moment to come together to celebrate the good things that have been able to happen this year, and the creativity that has been possible, while at the same time, generating support that will help Sadler's Wells fully reopen in 2021. At this time, I think it's more important than ever that we find ways to celebrate and enjoy dance, and we hope that many of you will join us on the 5 December to do just that.’ 

Sadler’s Wells Global Gala takes place on Saturday 5 December, from 7.30pm - 8.30pm GMT, on Sadler’s Wells YouTube channel 

Audiences can find out more and register their interest at http://sadlerswells.com/globalgalaevent  

#SWGlobalGala 

ENDS 

NOTES TO EDITORS  

Sadler’s Wells Global Gala  
Saturday 5 December7.30pm - 8.30pm GMT 
2.30pm – 3.30pm EST11.30am – 12.30pm PST, 6.30pm – 7.30pm CET 
Sadler’s Wells YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/sadlerswells  
Audiences can find out more and register their interest at http://sadlerswells.com/globalgalaevent 
Free for all to access 

Sadler’s Wells Global Gala is supported by Bottega Veneta  

Fields Of Gold filming supported by Barclays 

#SWGlobalGala 

About Sadler’s Wells  

Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation, committed to producing, commissioning and presenting new works and to bringing the best domestic and international dance to UK and worldwide audiences. Under the Artistic Directorship of Alistair Spalding, the theatre’s acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap.  

Audiences of over half a million come to Sadler’s Wells’ three London theatres each year, with many more enjoying its touring productions at venues across the UK and around the world and accessing its content through its Digital Stage. Sadler's Wells commissions, produces and presents more dance than any other theatre in the world, embracing the popular and the unknown. Since 2005, it has helped to bring over 180 new dance works to the stage, many of them involving its 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and four Associate Companies – the most exciting talents working in dance today.  

Sadler’s Wells own productions have toured to some of the most prestigious theatres and festivals around the world, such as the Sydney Opera House, the Lincoln Center’s White Light Festival in New York, and the National Centre for Performing Arts in Beijing.  

Sadler’s Wells also nurtures the next generation of talent through a range of artist development initiatives including its New Wave Associates programmes, its Wild Card initiative and the National Youth Dance Company. A further 30,000 individuals take part in its learning and engagement programmes each year.  

During the Covid-19 crisis, Sadler’s Wells has continued to connect with global audiences through its Digital Stage, an online programme of performances and workshops for people to watch at home. Since 27 March 2020, the programme has been enjoyed by audiences all over the world, generating over 5 million video views globally.  

On 29 October 2020, live dance returned to Sadler’s Wells with Birmingham Royal Ballet, in a special Autumn 2020 season of performances for socially distanced audiences. Performances include Christmas dates and feature Sadler’s Wells associate companies and artists, including Breakin’ Convention and Ballo Arthur Pita. More information about this autumn season and our Digital Stage can be found at https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/list. 

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation and currently receives approximately 10% of its revenue from Arts Council England. www.sadlerswells.com 

Sadler’s Wells social media handles:  

Facebook: @SadlersWells 
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells 
Instagram: @sadlers_wells 
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre 

About Bottega Veneta 

Bottega Veneta – inspiring individuality with innovative new modes of craftsmanship since 1966. Under the direction of Daniel Lee, creativity lies at the heart of our designs for women, men and home. Born in Vicenza, the house is rooted in Italian culture yet maintains a truly global outlook. An inclusive brand with exclusive products, Bottega Veneta is as much of a feeling as it is an aesthetic. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alison said:

Remembered this when I got in about 6.30 - then forgot about it for a couple of hours :(

It's still up on Youtube to watch - I forgot too then skimmed through just watching the dancing segments.  Osipova was very good, despite the most unflattering costume I've seen in a while.

• Like 1

In the midst of the show, someone mentioned that it would remain online until 5 January, I believe.

The new Osipova/Kittleberger duet to Sibelius was quite touching but I most loved the “Fields of Gold” duet that was introduced by Sting...Nafisah Baba & Lukas McFarlane dancing.

There were a couple of funny moments, such as William Forsythe catching snowflakes in a bucket or Sylvie Guillem picking olives, high up in a tree on her farm.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed this gala, surprisingly!  It is probably the quirkiest show I have ever seen but it was most enjoyable.  Despite it all being modern dance the music and they way it was presented in short works suited my tolerance level for modern stuff.  For me the highlight was the "Buzzard and Kestrel" premiere from William Forsythe with Tiler Peck as the female lead, and she was wonderful.  Osipova's piece was nice too I liked the music but agree her dress was awful!  The most fun pieces were The Wine Dance and the piece with the Soweto dancers.  Hofesch Schechter was just bonkers!  I enjoyed the rather hip hop piece with Matthew Ball as well.  I didn't know where Guillem featured but now I know I will go and look at it again.  I have never seen her dance so I may as well see her picking olives!  All in all a great watch IMHO!

• Like 5

Yes, on YT for a month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIolgHlH_Ss

"All donations are being matched, so anything you are able to give will be doubled. You can donate online on the Sadler’s Wells website or if you are in the UK you can text to donate. https://www.sadlerswells.com/globalgala UK: Text GLOBALGALA 5 to 70500 to donate £5, GLOBALGALA 10 to donate £10 or GLOBALGALA 20 to donate £20. 100% of your donation goes to Sadler’s Wells. Always get the bill payer’s permission. Texts cost your donation plus 1 standard network rate message. To enquire about making a gift or pledge in USD or EUR email development@sadlerswells.com and a member of the team will be in touch."

• Like 1

Okay, Akram Khan doing Brazilian jujitsu - that's something I never thought I would see!  Really liked the Forsythe piece, with Tiler Peck and the other two dancers who I don't think were credited, or if they were, I missed it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alison said:

Okay, Akram Khan doing Brazilian jujitsu - that's something I never thought I would see!  Really liked the Forsythe piece, with Tiler Peck and the other two dancers who I don't think were credited, or if they were, I missed it.

Alison, one of the two men - the one with the longer, dark shaggy hair - is Roman Mejia, one of NYCB’s great new sensations! The other is Lex Ishimoto...new name for me...a freelancer in a variety of dance forms...from California.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1