Royal Ballet - Within the Golden Hour mixed programme livestream - 13/11/2020

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SL will probably be the amongst the first things performed come the Spring - assuming minimal lockdowns and the like. A financial winner, great for company dancers' techniques, just about the whole company involved, etc. And as Alison says - it will be back to where we left off last Spring. My tea leaves are predicting that after letting us have a bit of Festive fun, the government will have us locked down again come Jan/Feb as Covid spikes again, so those months are going to be pretty dire, I fear. Come March/April, we'll be needing those Swan Ladies!

• Like 6

Am just so hoping that by May/June theatres might be pretty much back to normal...I’d even be first in queue for a new vaccine if thought it could help to get at least half decent audiences back in and could meet friends for a cuppa in the cafe. 
And of course to see these two for real! 

• Like 1

Have to say I'm getting rather cross with ROH in that they keep showing excerpts from the PAID for show on their YouTube channel, yet can't show it there in the first place. As people paid to see it, they should stop showing clips for free, it's not right especially not within the 30 day watch period. It'll make me think twice about purchasing anymore from them in future if I can wait a few days and see most of it on YouTube for free. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Don Q - I had the same thought, they are showing several minutes at a time, not just snippets.

Exactly!  Glad it's not just me - I have put a comment on their latest snippet of Swan Lake PDD.  At least it lets them see it is noticed.  So far we have seen 3 minutes + of Dying Swan, 8 minutes+ of the Swan Lake PDD, and 4+minutes of the WTGH pdd. Ok it's not that much but it they should at least wait until the 30 day watch period is over.  I can see Alison's point about marketing as well though...

But was this Swan Lake pas de deux the one which was performed at the theatre for the live-streaming? A couple of friends went to the Nov 4th show and I’m sure they said Hayward did do Swan Lake but it wasn’t with Corrales....in fact he wasn’t on stage at all that night. 
Im a bit confused ...was this a livestream..as in the first gala they had a few weeks back or was this just a sort of streamed recording? 
I wouldn’t risk a livestream anymore as didn’t work last time at least not on the night otherwise you are just watching a recording anyway? If this will all be eventually released I suppose you might as well wait if not seeing it live. 
But perhaps they will not release the whole event or not for some time. 
The recording I saw dropped into my Facebook feed. 

10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

But was this Swan Lake pas de deux the one which was performed at the theatre for the live-streaming? A couple of friends went to the Nov 4th show and I’m sure they said Hayward did do Swan Lake but it wasn’t with Corrales....in fact he wasn’t on stage at all that night. 

I believe this was the 13 November stream - the  WTGH program. The ROH is publishing excepts on YouTube and FaceBook

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Im a bit confused ...was this a livestream..as in the first gala they had a few weeks back or was this just a sort of streamed recording? 
I wouldn’t risk a livestream anymore as didn’t work last time at least not on the night otherwise you are just watching a recording anyway? If this will all be eventually released I suppose you might as well wait if not seeing it live. 
But perhaps they will not release the whole event or not for some time. 

This was a livestream, and has now been "released", as you call it.  It's available for the next 3 weeks, for £10 - money well spent in my opinion.  Or am I misunderstanding you?

• Like 1

I haven't had chance to post yet, but halfway through my second viewing of the WTGH programme and loving it all! Enjoying watching some of my established "favourite" dancers, but also discovering some dancers I have seen much less of in the past. The standout of those being Akane Takada, who I'll be making a point of booking to see when things return to normal!

Interesting to see the discussion on the YouTube clips. Personally I'd be very happy to see all the footage on YouTube at some point - for me the increase in quality would be more than worth it, even if it meant people who hadn't paid ending up seeing the same thing. I can very much understand the opposite viewpoint though!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, DanJL said:

…..for me the increase in quality would be more than worth it, even if it meant people who hadn't paid ending up seeing the same thing. 

Did you have quality problems with the stream? 

Maybe it's just my laptop but I get pretty regular sound interference and the picture isn't as clear as YouTube videos (at least the recorded videos, I find they are a little clearer than live broadcasts on YouTube). It's still very enjoyable to be able to see the recent shows though 🙂

• Like 1

I’d probably be happy to pay £10 for this but after the event as it were! Just not for the actual live event as that was so frustrating last time.  And there never was an explanation from ROH as to why so many people couldn’t access it on the gala night.  However I expect most people are paying to see it go out live. 
I agree that if they were to put too much out in the next 30 days for free that would be annoying if you’d paid £10 for it. But perhaps they are hoping to entice people like me who are not up to speed on this latest stream to buy it now!! 
I still don’t know what’s performed in this one yet but will have a look. 
If however they were to livestream the whole of Swan Lake with Hayward and Corrales ( assuming theatres were not fully open so difficult to get tickets etc) I’d be first in the queue!! Also Apple are bringing out their new iPad soon so with bit of luck may even get it actually live by then!! 

Thankyou Alison!   I just haven’t been on the ROH website for weeks now though am sure will get more interested when there’s a real possibility of attending in person again. 
It will be nice to see a full length ballet too. 

16 hours ago, alison said:

Wasn't the earlier performance with William Bracewell?

Yes it was, Alison.  I think he and Frankie dance really well together. I loved their R & J earlier and looking forward to the DVD.

• Like 2