RB - mixed bill (gala format, plus Elite Syncopations) - ONE NIGHT ONLY!

18 hours ago, bridiem said:

I can't really say much about the dancing tonight, because from my seat in the further reaches of the Upper Slips I only got glimpses of it here and there (though lovely view of the orchestra and of the wings!). 

Was the Times critic sitting next to you?

" Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli brought out the diaphanous romance of Frederick Ashton’s Rhapsody pas de deux."

Could have sworn it was Campbell. 

Hello everyone, it's my first time contributing to the forum but felt moved to add a few comments after last night - what an extraordinary occasion.

Kevin O'Hare welcomed the audience at the start, saying it was a bittersweet moment to be back on stage, having an opening night that was also the closing night. The performance itself was extraordinarily good - I can't remember enjoying a mixed bill / gala this much for a long time. It was partly the joy of seeing a live performance again, but also down to the judicious choice of the program, which showcased everything the RB does, from classical to contemporary. I don't have much beyond what's already been said about the performances already, other than to add how much I enjoyed "In Our Wishes" (Marston) with Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke - amazing commitment and intensity from Fumi in particular.

Outside the auditorium, the experience was a bit weird but the ROH had obviously taken great precautions - everyone wearing facemasks of course, and we were channelled in from the entrance directly to our seats in the amphitheatre. The different parts of the ROH appeared to have been partitioned off so we wouldn't be mingling in the lobby or the bars. The Floral Hall was completely empty and seemed to be shrouded with plastic screens. The bars were closed and no alcohol or food was served during the interval. It may sound grim but the front of house staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, and there was a tremendous feeling of togetherness - particularly enjoyed hearing the company cheering off-stage directly after the performance; I'm sure that they will come back fighting!

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, oncnp said:

" Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli brought out the diaphanous romance of Frederick Ashton’s Rhapsody pas de deux."

It was Campbell - Bonelli was in the Manon pas de deux with Laura Morera

• Like 1

Just now, James R said:

It was Campbell - Bonelli was in the Manon pas de deux with Laura Morera

I left a comment. Hopefully she'll fix it. 

10 minutes ago, oncnp said:

😄 Tut tut. Clearly Campbell even from my lofty eyrie!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, James R said:

Hello everyone, it's my first time contributing to the forum but felt moved to add a few comments after last night - what an extraordinary occasion.

Kevin O'Hare welcomed the audience at the start, saying it was a bittersweet moment to be back on stage, having an opening night that was also the closing night. The performance itself was extraordinarily good - I can't remember enjoying a mixed bill / gala this much for a long time. It was partly the joy of seeing a live performance again, but also down to the judicious choice of the program, which showcased everything the RB does, from classical to contemporary. I don't have much beyond what's already been said about the performances already, other than to add how much I enjoyed "In Our Wishes" (Marston) with Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke - amazing commitment and intensity from Fumi in particular.

Outside the auditorium, the experience was a bit weird but the ROH had obviously taken great precautions - everyone wearing facemasks of course, and we were channelled in from the entrance directly to our seats in the amphitheatre. The different parts of the ROH appeared to have been partitioned off so we wouldn't be mingling in the lobby or the bars. The Floral Hall was completely empty and seemed to be shrouded with plastic screens. The bars were closed and no alcohol or food was served during the interval. It may sound grim but the front of house staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, and there was a tremendous feeling of togetherness - particularly enjoyed hearing the company cheering off-stage directly after the performance; I'm sure that they will come back fighting!

Welcome to the forum James - and thank you also for your review. Very jealous!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, James R said:

Outside the auditorium, the experience was a bit weird but the ROH had obviously taken great precautions - everyone wearing facemasks of course, and we were channelled in from the entrance directly to our seats in the amphitheatre.

Yes, it was a bit weird, but so wonderful just to be in the building again. I forgot to say that as I went in the (new) entrance on Bow Street I saw Kevin O'Hare not far off talking to someone, and I instinctively gave him a cheerful wave, and I was so touched when he gave me an enthusiastic wave back. I did talk to him briefly at an event earlier this year, but something tells me that that conversation might have been rather more memorable for me than for him... so basically he would have had no idea who I was, but it didn't stop him from reacting in a really friendly way! He looked as excited as I felt. So that was a lovely start to the evening.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Lynette H said:

Sarah Lamb came on stage for Elite still wearing her blue mask....it took her a couple of minutes to realise and then discreetly dispose of it. What strange times.....

For a second, I thought Sarah's mask was on purpose. Sort of a simpatico nod to the 'costume' we were all wearing in the audience 😆 😷 😆

One of my accolades for the night is that the dancing made me totally forget I was wearing a mask. A new measurement of being transported to a happier place. Big fan of the gala format as a way to see many different dancers. And glimpses at ballets like Rhapsody which I have yet to see. Would have loved more pieces that included the corps, but I know that is much harder to bubble wrap. Le Corsaire was my personal fave. Hoping this somehow sneaks into the show they stream next week. Matthew Ball and Mayara Magri have such joy dancing together and the upbeat energy of this pas de deux is the escapism I need these days

• Like 12

Here a few photos.

Usher on my side changed twice during first part of the evening and he forbade me to take photos during applause.  He even went over to the official photographer to tell her off, ha ha ha. So, I only got one shot of Swan Lake, and Corsaire through Dance of the Blessed Spirit weren't captured due to this über-usher. 

Instagram - PDDs

Instagram - Elite Syncopations

• Like 7

The Dance Tabs review by Jann Parry confirms that the show this coming Friday will be live - streamed. 😁

However, since she thinks that Francesca Hayward was due to dance Swan Lake with William Bracewell and does not recall that he has already danced Siegfried with the RB (wonderfully), she might not be the most reliable of informants.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Tessie said:

Love the curtain call photos. 

Any further comments on how this cast of Elite Syncopations compared with the live streamed one, for those of us not able to attend? 

Only that my ideal cast would have been a mix of the two!

It’s not a ballet which inspires me to think deeply about interpretation. It’s a romp to play along with if I’m in the mood  but, when it’s part of a run, I can easily feel that I’ve had too much of a good thing.

One streamed and one live performance was just fine.

• Like 8

On 07/11/2020 at 23:06, capybara said:

The Dance Tabs review by Jann Parry confirms that the show this coming Friday will be live - streamed. 😁

However, since she thinks that Francesca Hayward was due to dance Swan Lake with William Bracewell and does not recall that he has already danced Siegfried with the RB (wonderfully), she might not be the most reliable of informants.

And it seems to be £10 which is much better I thought £16 last time was a bit dear for a stream especially when it didn't work very well and you're on a budget!)

2 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

And it seems to be £10 which is much better I thought £16 last time was a bit dear for a stream especially when it didn't work very well and you're on a budget!)

Curious...How much was the BRB Lazuli Sky program?  And other streams folks have purchased?

The only other one I've purchased was the Sarasota Ballet which was $35, much shorter and did have streaming problems whereas the ROH has always worked perfectly. 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Curious...How much was the BRB Lazuli Sky program?  And other streams folks have purchased?

I think the BRB Lazuli Sky was £10. 

ENB have several streamed (previously recorded) performances for hire. Can't remember the prices of all of them but they vary according to length and subject.

I bought their Le Corsaire with Vadim and Alina Cojacaru which was £7.99 and also the doc. about ENBS visit to Paris Opera House to perform it which cost £4.99. The main snag with ENB is you only get three days to watch them which seems a bit mean when you're paying. You think they could manage a week at least. 

• Like 1