RB - mixed bill (gala format, plus Elite Syncopations) - ONE NIGHT ONLY!

6 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I prefer the earlier Act 1 pdd but it's always the second one that gets danced at Gala's.

I'm not going but think my favourite pdd would be the Magri/Ball Corsaire :)

Definitely echo that. Magri/Ball were both incredible. Obviously very much suited Ball, Found Magri to be absolute perfection and wowed by the seemingly endless but perfect fouettés. 

The atmosphere was wonderful- such love from the audience even before KOH stepped on stage and was a very special evening. More to follow when someone sets up a performance thread.

Delighted there will be another live stream. Would love to see some of the other cast members who didn’t appear tonight (O’Sullivan/Sambe Tchaikovsky PLEASE!).

• Like 8

Well, what a delicious evening of samplers that was. The night before Lockdown II starts, the RB combine the 'gala' elements from this week's rep (ending in Elite Syncopations) with pieces that were due next week, with 'Within the Golden Hour' as an end piece, as everything after tonight succumbed to the lockdown bogeyman (The shows due next week, one is to be streamed soon - once its been filmed - so something extra to look forward to) - and give us all a hearty treat before the gloom descends.

Lots of gala type party pieces, all marvelously performed. Highlights for me (amongst a night of highlights):

Akane Takada in Rhapsody - utterly breathtaking (more than ably partnered by Alexander Cambell). She also mangled our hearts in her brief appearance in Woolf Works, with the ever astounding Ed Watson, and Calvin Richardson. As an aside, the 1st and 3rd parts of WW are just astonishing - love them!

Francesca Hayward and William Bracewell in the act 2 Swan Lake pdd - now there's a partnership to watch out for when Swan Lake returns (as we know it will - sometime). No doubt, there will be a lot of partnerships to watch out for, but on this evidence, this is one of those not to miss

Laura Morera as Manon (with her des Grieux Federico Bonelli) in the bedroom pdd (the one that starts with the feather throw). Just wow!

In Our Wishes (by Cathy Marston) intrigues me more every time I see it. And after watching the bit of extra coaching in World Ballet Day, could see that bit extra coming out from Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke (Fumi definitely had the best dress of the night!)

Whilst Elite Syncopations not one of my favourites, it would be churlish to whinge - especially with so many dazzling performances (amongst the leads and the shenanigans in the background). Again, Laura Morera slinked her way through whatever sections she danced, and probably the most accomplished 'comedy duo' in Melissa Hamilton and Paul Kay, made even this slightly jaded watcher laugh out loud. Just nailed it!

What a great start to the season - so sad that at the moment, it marks the end (for now) of the season too. At least the dancers raised our spirits for a few hours, so for that, I can't thank them enough. The very warm reception at the start of proceedings, went some way to showing them that, I hope they picked up on it

• Like 17

I can't really say much about the dancing tonight, because from my seat in the further reaches of the Upper Slips I only got glimpses of it here and there (though lovely view of the orchestra and of the wings!). On the other hand, what I did see was so beautiful, and so thrilling, that it hardly mattered that I could see so little. On the one hand I felt that I'd come back home; on the other, it was as if I was at my first ever performance. The music sounded so loud, and the stage lights were so dazzling, and the dancing was so brilliant, that it was like a distilled revelation of the power of theatre, music and ballet. This is what it's about, and this is what we've been missing. I could see a beautiful arm here, a delicate hand there, a leg extended in arabesque, a face contorted by pain, or love, or grief; imagine the excitement when I saw a whole person, or even a couple dancing together!! I was practically horizontal at times in my efforts to see as much as possible. 😄 Treat followed treat, and I wallowed in happiness.

I can't really say what the highlights were for me, but I remember Muntagirov in Tchaikovsky pas de deux apparently flying into my field of vision (couldn't see him take off) and only landing when he reached the far side of the stage; Mayara Magri's fouettés wowing the audience in Le Corsaire whilst I could only see her foot flicking like fire as it came round each time; Edward Watson's incredible expressiveness whilst simply standing still on stage in Woolf Works; and the whole company having very stylish fun in Elite Syncopations. A truly great evening. After curtain down we could hear the company cheering and applauding on the stage, so I hope they knew how much they had delighted their audience. May it not be too long before they can do so again.

• Like 20

It is really hard to know where to start, this was such a wonderful and special evening. Despite obviously wearing a mask, the first thing I noticed after making it through the efficient bag/temp/ticket was just how good it felt to be back in the building. Heading up the stairs, the Paul Hamlyn Hall and Crush Room were of course empty, and sadly so. The tell tale sign of the times were the one way stickers on the stairs etc.

I took my daughter with me tonight as my usual companion firstly wouldn’t have been allowed under current regulations, aside from which she has now emigrated. I can’t think of a more thrilling night to take my daughter to the Opera House than this strange opening-yet-closing-night celebration. The atmosphere was just full of love for the Royal Ballet with keen applause as the start of the performance was announced as well as at the entrance of KOH, supportive applause as he introduced the proceedings and confirmed a live stream next week.

I am not going to go through every single performer or performance as all were wonderful and special to see, it was like a chocolate box of treats (but one where you are happy to eat every single filling!) responded to with warmth and rapturous applause by the audience. The outstanding performance of the gala half of the evening had to be Magri/Ball with their Corsaire pdd. Magri excelled with the virtuous elements of her solos, particularly the endless fouettes which were delivered with absolute confidence. Ball wowed with his leaps and turns as you would expect.

After seeing on World Ballet Day the challenge that is the Tchaikovsky pdd even for ballet gods, it was wonderful to see the full performance in costume and enjoy the pure joy of dance that both Nunez and Muntagirov deliver. Nunez May have lacked the confidence to make that second leap into a fish dive, but it didn’t matter one bit - and frankly made her just a bit more human! 

Just the range of talent all on one stage- potentially my last chance to see Edward Watson live on stage, outstanding as always; rising talent Joseph Sissens delighting us with Blessed Spirits; Calvert’s beautiful Dying Swan (keen to know who coached this); Kaneko and Clarke new Marston piece; Hayward and Bracewell’s Swan Lake; Campbell/Takada’s Rhapsody and of course the wonderfully lyrical Laura Morera as Manon in the bedroom pdd with Bonelli, my favourite de Grieux. It was lovely to see dancers lower in the ranks being given opportunities to dance too (Storm Jensen, Debreuil, Donnelly). Anyone missed, it’s just because my head is swimming at past midnight! 

The Elite finale was just a pleasure and interesting to see close up how they have squeezed in a larger cast to maximise involvement for the company.

What a night to be present at and part of, to see all of this amazing talent through the ranks of the Royal Ballet, to hear live music again. Feeling quite spoilt and have shared a thank you donation with the ROH for giving us an extra hour of content!

Hoping that it is little over 4 weeks before we will be allowed to head back again into this glorious theatre. 

• Like 22

Lovely reviews Bridiem and Blossom . Thank you.

It was, of course, a joy to see EVERYONE on stage and the delight of the Director and the dancers was palpable.

Very lucky to have had a ticket and very privileged to have seen some wonderful dancing.

Almost invidious to mention anyone specifically but the dancing which I personally found most affecting came from Takada, Kaneko , Morera (in Elite), Watson and Muntagirov. And that small selection serves to show how versatile is the RB and how very extraordinary is the dancers’ range of artistry. There was a really nice mix of principals, (first) soloists and the more junior ranks too.

• Like 11

I'd almost forgotten what it's like to see a live performance and now, here I am at home, after midnight, still buzzing after what was a fantastic night at the ROH.  It was a Gala, not a performance. I loved it when Kevin O'Hare came on at the start and said - enjoy these 2 hours, and we will be back, because that summed it up.  So lucky that I had chosen to book a ticket for tonight, rather than later in the run.  I felt that I had to savour every single minute as precious, because who knows when I will get there again. Soon I hope, but who knows.  I will keep those 2 hours in my head and go back to them when times get tough.

I had experienced angst as to whether it was safe to go. I've been doing serous lockdown since March. In the end, I drove up rather than take the train as I normally do.  Parked in the National Theatre and walked across from there. All was perfectly safe, the seating in the theatre  was superbly arranged. I was in Row T of the Orch Stalls - no one in front, no-one to the side and no-one behind. It was perfect.  Well done, Royal Opera House.  

And every minute was precious. The dancers all gave their all and there was rapturous applause for everyone, plus the orchestra of course.  I must mention Vadim, because how does he do it?  We saw several virtuoso performances tonight but his leaps and rotations were out of this world. I've been privileged to see him on many occasions but this was extraordinary.  Seemingly effortless, noiseless and hanging in the air.  World class, unique?? Certainly a glorious and heart warming experience.     

• Like 12

What great reviews, well done everyone.  What amazing talent we are blessed with and what a job Mr. O’Hare has on his plate.  Tonight, ( really every night they dance ) Nela and Vadream the perfect partnership, loved Francesca’s Swan Lake, something to savour.  Morera’s Manon, not seen her dance this  so added to my list of must does. Top of the list for me has been Ms Magri’s Carousel and tonight’s Corsair, Ball partnered her beautifully, but did she fill her boots tonight, fantastic.

Made me realise how much I have missed this place, got to get rid of this virus.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, capybara said:

Almost invidious to mention anyone specifically but the dancing which I personally found most affecting came from Takada, Kaneko , Morera (in Elite), Watson and Muntagirov. 

Second Morera in Elite. It's not the same without her in that role! Also feel the same about Hamilton. 

Still walking on air from last night. Ready to lock down now!

• Like 3

One night only, perhaps. But as Frankie Valli famously sang back in the day: “Oh what a night!”
One to treasure for so many reasons: that stroke of luck in choosing to book for the first and, sadly, only night in this run; the sense of privilege in just being there on this remarkable night in such uncertain times; and then, most of all, for the beauty, poignancy, joyousness and, in turn, sassiness that touched the performances of every one of those remarkable dancers who graced the stage with their extraordinary talent.

it seems churlish and, indeed, scarcely possible to single anyone out but, like Dave, the heart-stopping moments for me came from the joy of rediscovering the Hayward/Bracewell partnership (they really do bring out the very best in each other and Hayward still has that rare gift of making something so familiar feel as though it is being seen for the very first time); the luxuriant and nuanced Manon of Laura Morera, perfectly matched by Bonelli’s handsome, ardent Des Grieux (and, by the way, Moera was, of course, a stand out in a perfectly cast Elite Syncopations for which Hamilton and Kay otherwise stole the show); and the subtlety and delicacy that coloured both of Takada’s flawless contributions.

As partnerships go, Ball and Magri are also developing into something really special and what a confident and engaging performance from Magri, not to mention the relish with which she threw out those joyful, pitch-perfect fouettes.

And then there was Marianella and Vadim ... Impossible to say anything that hasn’t been said before so I won’t even try. Apart from asking, as an aside, is there anyone apart from Vadim who not only delivers a seemingly perfect performance every time he is onstage but somehow, extraordinarily, manages to top that throwaway perfection the very next time?

So an evening to savour. One that could have been touched with sadness but was somehow shot through with joy in the moment and hope for the future.

it was life-affirming, life-enhancing. I shall not enjoy the long wait until the next live performance but last night has made it easier to bear.

With profound thanks to KO’H, the orchestra, conductor, soloists and every one of those wonderful dancers for sharing their precious and unique gifts with us once more and roll on the next time! Royal Ballet we miss you!

• Like 19

28 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

And, BridieM, what a gorgeous review from what seems to have been a place with a very restricted view. So glad you were able to see some of the dancing and hoping the parts you missed will be streamed. 

Thanks very much, Scheherezade! And thanks to you, and others, for their lovely and rather more rounded reviews. (I can probably claim my seat as the worst in the house last night! I hadn't realised how little of the 'action' is front centre stage... But Who Cares? as they say.) And yes, I really hope that at least some of last night's pieces will be streamed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Apart from anything else, it was lovely to hear all the dancers celebrating behind the curtain at the end! (great review above from Dave by the way).

Thanks Richard - had to put something down, but barely scratched the surface really.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Thanks Richard - had to put something down, but barely scratched the surface really.

But I think that you, Dave, and others have done two important things.

You have made the performances live in print so that readers can share in the experience; and

Your appreciation has helped to show that an evening of divertissements has an occasional place in the RB’s rep.

• Like 13

Yes, big thanks to all reporters!

Someone above mentioned that this performance was filmed. Would it be for a future pay-to-view streaming opportunity? I would gladly pay a reasonable amount to see this, even with the repetition of Elite Syncopations, which was on last month’s streamed program.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Someone above mentioned that this performance was filmed. 

Gary Avis on IG said it was not going to be filmed. Did anyone in attendance see any cameras?

Kevin said they are hoping to stream the performance next week on Friday but didn't specify which one.

I don't know if there were cameras last night as I was sitting in the amphitheatre!

Edited by cackles

13 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Apart from anything else, it was lovely to hear all the dancers celebrating behind the curtain at the end! (great review above from Dave by the way).

Actually Instagram reveals that they were all applauding Grace Blundell after her last performance for the RB.  Best wishes for her future path!

• Like 5

No, last night not filmed, as 'Elite' was streamed in the 'return' gala, so to speak. The stream/filming next, is on Friday next week (13th) of the performance that would have happened that night. Some say it will be streamed that night (probably after a short deIay), though I also heard it may be streamed later (though no doubt will be available for a few weeks after it is intially shown). We will find out soon which it is, I  have no doubt

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bridiem said:

I can't really say much about the dancing tonight, because from my seat in the further reaches of the Upper Slips I only got glimpses of it here and there (though lovely view of the orchestra and of the wings!). On the other hand, what I did see was so beautiful, and so thrilling, that it hardly mattered that I could see so little. On the one hand I felt that I'd come back home; on the other, it was as if I was at my first ever performance. The music sounded so loud, and the stage lights were so dazzling, and the dancing was so brilliant, that it was like a distilled revelation of the power of theatre, music and ballet. This is what it's about, and this is what we've been missing. I could see a beautiful arm here, a delicate hand there, a leg extended in arabesque, a face contorted by pain, or love, or grief; imagine the excitement when I saw a whole person, or even a couple dancing together!! I was practically horizontal at times in my efforts to see as much as possible. 😄 Treat followed treat, and I wallowed in happiness.

I can't really say what the highlights were for me, but I remember Muntagirov in Tchaikovsky pas de deux apparently flying into my field of vision (couldn't see him take off) and only landing when he reached the far side of the stage; Mayara Magri's fouettés wowing the audience in Le Corsaire whilst I could only see her foot flicking like fire as it came round each time; Edward Watson's incredible expressiveness whilst simply standing still on stage in Woolf Works; and the whole company having very stylish fun in Elite Syncopations. A truly great evening. After curtain down we could hear the company cheering and applauding on the stage, so I hope they knew how much they had delighted their audience. May it not be too long before they can do so again.

Bridiem you have described perfectly the feelings I had at my first performance at the ROH, including the view and the loudness of the music (I was sitting in what was stalls circle B1 and was almost IN the orchestra) :)

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone for your reports ... so wonderful to have a glimpse through your eyes.  Thank you.  It is especially appreciated as I had tickets to the WTGH programme and class on stage.  

Edited by FionaE

It was indeed a very special evening....I hadn't been expecting to go last night, let alone to see an extended performance, and it seemed rather like a dream that I was back there at all! 

Pretty surreal, especially with the Covid measures in place, but the  staff were very helpful and it all seemed well organised.

Highlights for me were similar to those posted by capabara above,  involving Takada (in Rhapsody, but also in Woolf Works), Kaneko, Morera  (in Manon), Watson (so moving)  and Muntagirov (what can you say!).  I would also add Magri and  Ball, splendid in probably the only part of Le Corsaire I find engaging, and Claire Calvert  in The Dying Swan - a piece I have often heard but never seen live before. 

I loved it all,  but the outstanding moment of the night for me came (rather unfortunately in a way) at the very beginning. Takada and Campbell opened with  5 minutes (all too brief) of absolute Ashton ballet heaven. (What a choreographer)! Akane seems to be so on form at present, in her beautiful technique, and unique interpretation of whatever she dances - pure class!  I was gasping into my mask at some of the moments from this PDD...such as the times that she effortlessly floated into Alex's arms in a sitting position. Lifted into the air,  she seemed to be catching  each note of the beautiful music in her hands....

I can't wait for the RB to be properly back and performing  the whole of Rhapsody and  the rest of their amazing repertoire.   

• Like 13