Dance studios listed as having to close during November lockdown

Millicent

There’s a bit of confusion here in Brighton at the moment regarding the new Tier 2 

Its the words “not mixing with others not in your household or bubble

I assumed they meant socially mixing. 
so if the group activity is socially distanced etc ( as classes were worked out to be “covid secure”  before this lockdown) 

then it should be okay.

It can’t seriously mean that you can only do a group class with members of your family (Good luck with that for ballet classes ...It’s ludicrous 😂😂

However some people down here are saying just that ...and the same for yoga as well! 
They are also putting out this idea that in Tier one the rule is that there can only be six people in the class which is what everybody thought when rule of six first came in and that proved to be untrue. 
The only absolutely clear ruling is for Tier 3 where all group indoor classes for adults are banned ...with a few small exceptions. 
So next week as far as I know Danceworks is opening for classes on Dec 2 nd and other places I know of are intending to open. 
But not sure what will happen in Brighton I thought somebody in the local Council who never does any exercise had got their knickers in a twist about the rules but from what I’ve read here this comes from the RAD?? 
Well won’t the rules have to be the same across the Tier 2’s? 
So they certainly do need clarifying. 
In Brighton the yoga class I attend has been told No by a centre in Lewes ....before Lockdown we were a “covid secure” 8.

However in Brighton another yoga centre has already started advertising classes to book as before lockdown!! 
Im feeling a bit ratty about the whole thing really as it won’t be fair if some classes can continue and others not on different interpretations of the rules. 

I have to add that I said to some members of our Sat ballet class ...as we’d had this message only family bubbles etc allowed for classes.....”don’t worry I will look into it ...somebody has put out their own interpretation of the rules and it smacks of somebody who knows nothing about Dance classes”  🙄 

• Like 1

Oh so it hasn’t been published yet then? I thought it was just on the Gov website. 
It will be annoying though if all the covid restrictions in place are now just ignored and places have to stay closed. 
It would be okay if they had discovered that lots of cases were breaking out in Dance studios and gyms etc so new advice was being followed because of that but there is no evidence of this at the moment so why does anything need to change in Tier one and Tier 2 areas....especially as huge areas under Tier 2 have very few cases. 
Brighton has 66 cases per 100,000 now just a little higher than Cornwall and some areas of Sussex even less. 
Still the powers that be must know what they are doing I suppose 🤔 

At least the swimming pool is reopening in Brighton. It was closed all over the summer and has spent a fortune on new ventilation and was only open for a very short time before this lockdown before it had to close again. So can get a few swims in at least while yoga and dance sort themselves out. 

The prohibition on ‘mixing’ in exercise classes was there before the lockdown wasn’t it? I wonder whether some places and teachers just do t want the hassle of opening, especially as they would probably break for Christmas in a couple of weeks!

• Like 1

Well I’d have no bother with Dance schools saying this as they will only have about 2 weeks until end of term anyway that would be perfectly understandable but not if they were to skew the rules so people get confused!! 
Especially as there is every reason to think areas in Tier 2 could stay that way till April!! 
Anyway none of this really affects younger pupils under 18 does it? 
It’s only Adult dancers who could be affected if rules are not understood properly. 
Let’s wait for the legislation to be published then and hope it’s clearer than mud! 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Oh so it hasn’t been published yet then? I thought it was just on the Gov website. 

The information published on the .gov website is a summary of the rules in plain English, because legislation is written in 'legal' English which isn't very readable.

This is the legislation relating to the current National restrictions.  From what I can see the legislation relating to the rules coming in on 2nd December hasn't been published yet (this is my understanding but I'm not a lawyer so may be wrong!)  

What seems to be happening is that they announce the new rules in a press conference, then more detail on the .gov website, then detailed legislation is passed through parliament.  The legislation has much more detail and definitions, so once this is available it will make it easier for the likes of local councils to interpret the rules.

• Like 2

Yes it all seems to hinge on the definition of "mixing with". IMO this would be applicable on a case-by-case basis according to the way each specific dance school operates. The main danger in ballet classes is when doing exercises travelling across the floor in groups - especially when each "group" is queuing up for their turn and the groups/lines risk intermingling as they rotate. Also whether or not you can prevent people coming together & chatting to each other before and after class or between exercises on "drink breaks". Needless to say, hands-on corrections by the teacher are also complete "no-no".

I have to say that I think the RAD are completely wrong about what they are saying, which totally conflicts with all the other dance organisations.

Well before lockdown most places offering dance classes were not allowed to operate unless had worked out “covid secure” spaces with social distancing and restricted numbers according to size of space and different ways of operating within the studio itself. Changing rooms have been banned since September as far as I know and have experienced and you can’t hang around before and after class in the studio. ALL this has already been sorted! 
We will have to see what happens but the same rules should apply to all studios. 

Just to add lots of commiserations to those dancers in Tier 3 areas and for more than Dance reasons. 
It’s a good job the Zoom classes have been such a success so hopefully most of you will at least have some access to those classes meanwhile. We will all have perfect turnout and beautiful arabesques by the time this is all over lol

• Like 1

Danceworks was super-aggressive the first time out - they didn't shut down with everyone else and waited to be told to do so. I always had the impression that if London had been reduced to a dystopian wasteland stalked by huge bats you'd still be able to take class there while waiting for the zombies to show up, but this was considerably less fun for real.

• Like 6

Ha ha that made me laugh TYR 😂
I guess us dancers would be in that final group defending at the door still planning a hairy escape route lol. 

Seriously though I would be wary of Danceworks until Pandemic subsides because would be worried about the ventilation there in some of the studios anyway. 
Same with Pineapple. 
There are a couple of places down here which seemed reasonably safe so was prepared to take class once a week with them . ...well one you can only attend fortnightly anyway as you are put into a class “bubble” ...huge room but 10 max. 
Still waiting to hear whether these will reopen or not. 
Yoga teacher has been told Brighton class can go ahead as before lockdown but Lewes class still staying closed at mo. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I know these things are really complicated and I do have some sympathy for government. But, on the other hand, I don't think the government has done a good job in terms of clarity of information and communication. They give out information bit by bit and do not explain it clearly. Perhaps they should set out some FAQs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Millicent said:

I don't think the government has done a good job in terms of clarity of information and communication. They give out information bit by bit and do not explain it clearly.

I guess we're probably all used to that by now :(