Dance studios listed as having to close during November lockdown

Millicent

My DD is meant to have an exam coming up. It's practically impossible to do anything other than barre work and non-travelling allegro at home.

I did think it was interesting that on World Ballet Day one of the RBS teachers said that the company had actually improved their technique over lockdown. Perhaps the necessity of going back to basics/barre work in small spaces does have some advantages...trying to be positive! 

• Like 5

My DS has come back from injury twice  - each time he has said starting again from basics has improved his technique.  Things he didn't "get" during training suddenly made sense.   Things he couldn't be bothered with (he was always a turns and tricks boy) take on new importance when your career depends on them! 

Musical DD found the same - when you aren't worried about umpteen rehearsals, you have time, emotionally as well as physically(?)  to really look at your technique.  I'm sure your DD will find the barre work pays dividends when the whole studio opens up to her again.

• Like 5

Reminds me of when I was (group-)learning the clarinet.  I always wanted to go back and concentrate on the basics, but never got the chance because of the group setting.  I never did get around to arranging individual lessons, though, although I knew it would have been the best thing to do in the long run :(

Just when I'd been hoping to get off Zoom, too :(

17 minutes ago, Pirouette21 said:

Does this rule include vocational schools as well?

Hopefully not as all the vocational schools also teach academics and academics are to continue!  However, what that will mean for associate classes at a vocational school now I don't know.  I guess we have to wait to see what the early part of the week brings as, yet again, it appears the government were caught on the hop and really haven't thought through all the necessary permutations. 

I have been sent a link to petition by my younger DD's local dance school and will try to add the link here as some of you lovely forum people may like to sign it too.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-government-to-agree-that-dance-is-an-educational-art-form-not-just-a-hobby?recruiter=72855610&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=G>Search>SAP>UK>NonBrand>BMM&recruited_by_id=555a7930-6282-11e3-83f3-93e9c2b829f7&utm_content=fht-25591308-en-gb%3A3

• Like 3

To be fair all sports, choirs and many other activities are not necessarily just a hobby for those who choose to do them and they are all having to close too. Obviously it’s not good news but it is pretty much everything above the basics which is shutting☹️ 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alison said:

Reminds me of when I was (group-)learning the clarinet.  I always wanted to go back and concentrate on the basics, but never got the chance because of the group setting.  I never did get around to arranging individual lessons, though, although I knew it would have been the best thing to do in the long run :(

Just when I'd been hoping to get off Zoom, too :(

Sounds to me Alison that now could just be the time to take up your clarinet again! (assuming it was ever cast aside?)

Am liking reading people’s upbeat takes on this situation as am struggling to see beyond the gloom & doom....so thank you forum community! 

8 hours ago, alison said:

Can't possibly, I'm afraid - and not only because the instrument is in storage.  I'd get some very angry neighbours if I tried it where I'm currently living.

My son, who lives in an apartment in Switzerland, has the same problem. He was told to go and practice in the local woods. Although he hasn't taken that advice, he does occasionally come across people who have, when he's out walking.

13 minutes ago, Lemongirl said:

I heard MPs will be voting today.  So it hasn't been officially confirmed yet?  Think Boris made the announcement on Saturday because of the press leak.

According to the Telegraph "The Prime Minister is expected in the Commons from 3:30pm, and a vote will follow on Wednesday. "

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I know over 18s aren't allowed in dance classes in Tier 3, but does anyone know if private lessons are allowed for adults? 

I'm doing Advanced 2 with a cohort of under 18s and don't want to fall behind; it could be months before I'm allowed back in the studio...

59 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Hi all, I know over 18s aren't allowed in dance classes in Tier 3, but does anyone know if private lessons are allowed for adults? 

I'm doing Advanced 2 with a cohort of under 18s and don't want to fall behind; it could be months before I'm allowed back in the studio...

apparently  yes   per  two  examiners  i know 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RHowarth said:

From what I’ve heard from my dance school and from the exam board, in tier 3 adults can do exams but not attend training for them? 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
Tier 2 allows classes within households and support bubbles only, so that would suggest to me that private lessons can go ahead in that tier. 

In tier 1 adults can attend class as long as the maximum class size is 6 students. 
looks like we will be missing out on syllabus classes in the studio for quite some time yet 😢

10 hours ago, Peony said:

Tier 2 allows group exercise classes doesn’t it?

“organised indoor sport, physical activity and exercise classes will only be permitted if it is possible for people to avoid mixing with people they do not live with (or share a support bubble with). There are exceptions for indoor disability sport, sport for educational purposes and supervised sport and physical activity for under-18s, which can take place with larger groups mixing”

Depends on your definition of “mixing with” I guess? 🤷🏼‍♀️

36 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

We had the same pallaver when the rule of 6 was brought in didn't we?

But, reading the RAD guidance, they seem to have interpreted it that adult classes can only take place in tier 2 with your own household (!). 

tier 2 and adult classes   is  as we have seen  social distancing and  area of studio based class size limits , no partnering unless   bubbled 

rule of 6  and bubbles are irrelevant to a professional  environment  ( in fact one of the battles in my work place has been gettign across to people that  to maintain the  level of (lack of) restriction for everyone  on site   that means  everyone follows the rules ref social distancing . ( also  about  enforcement although typically  it;s actually  the first line Management who are getting  caught up in failure to follow the rules but  that is pattern we see with breaks,  prohibited areas and the like anyway  )

the RAD guidance  has IMO grossly misread  the rules  for tiers 1 and 2 and unfortunately, this indicates  the degree of distain  that  some of the RAD hierarchy hae for adults who are not   professionals despite the  strides a few  board members and examiners  have made ...  (  the video  on the RAD site about exams is very telling on the split in mindset )

It's almost as though  they see   Adult dancers  and  registered teachers as cash cows  and not as part of the community  (  see also youmust buy a physical copy of media  for the music/ dvds for  every device  and the the only electronic  media for music is the mobile app in which each syllabus costs 20 -30  gbp ) 

the RAD  do run the risk that  if they continue to pay lip service  to  such things and the other  awarding bodies  become pragmatic   and less  ' the look on the children's faces on exam day '   twinset and pearls  mindset...   they also don't have the power  they may think they have to prevent teachers  from working    

you'll have to excuse my  rant here but  i've been reading up on  getting organisations through  the various equality audits   out there  and  they look at both theory and practice  and the RAD talks a good game in the  specifications  and rules   but the practice is lagging  

• Like 1

If your definition of ‘mixing with’ is being in the same room then exercise classes would essentially be banned! So yes as a logical process I agree as they’ve specifically mentioned them as allowed in tier 2 without mixing, it means with social distancing. It wouldn’t be a group exercise class if only with your household.

I can’t see any of the guidance which would apply to a private lesson. You’re not meeting ‘socially’ Not on the latest update anyway. If it’s not prohibited then you can go ahead??

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Peony said:

If your definition of ‘mixing with’ is being in the same room then exercise classes would essentially be banned! So yes as a logical process I agree as they’ve specifically mentioned them as allowed in tier 2 without mixing, it means with social distancing. It wouldn’t be a group exercise class if only with your household.

I can’t see any of the guidance which would apply to a private lesson. You’re not meeting ‘socially’ Not on the latest update anyway. If it’s not prohibited then you can go ahead??

exactly this  

certainly  under tiered restrictions the operational policies of  most studios has bene to ask peopel to  come  to class  adequately   pre-changed that you don;t need changing rooms etc  and    restrictions have been placed on  how toilet faiclities are used to ensure social distancing  (   which should be the case   unless  all your  toilets are current 'gold standard'  for unisex  provision  in which there is no need  for docial distancing in use as the  toilet  and   handwash are full enclosed  for each  stall/ unit 

• Like 1