Prix de Lausanne 2021

Pas de Quatre

Okay, 

Well 216, 218 and 219 did not come as any surprise for me, nor the fact that there are so many young men in the final too  as it is a particularly strong cohort of 'boys' this year.

These young dancers from Portugal have been important pathfinders for other young boys across the Iberian pennisular and have had the benefit of driving each other on in friendly and supportive competition in class since the beginning of their training. Likewise the young ladies of the Conservatorio have had the benefit of partnered dance and pas de deux work since ten years old or younger. So I would have liked to have seen Laura and Maia Rose pass to the finals too, but hey ho, they performed very well in a very very strong field and I am sure offers will follow regardless. 

As an aside, I would sincerely recomend the summer intensives at this school to anyone, travel bans depending. It is really accessible. Local families can and will  accomodate for a few weeks, even months if someone wants to spend a term or a year there. It is an international crowd studying, teaching and coaching, with masses of stage practice and full classical ballets professionally prepared and performed, and an accomodating state school used to students passing through.

But back to Prix, will be watching Luca and Liya and I think it was Jooyoung who caught my eye in her contemporay, though I was  trying to concentrate on something else at the time, so I got a bit lost. 

Loved the contemporary variations, though Time got a bit monotonous. Can't wait till tomorrow. Well done to all the competitors, their teachers and long suffering families. Bring on the boys. Let's celebrate these young men and let them lead the way for more to enter this art and yes I will be sitting there, sniffing, watching through teary eyes, pretending its just an eyelash.

• Like 4

I agree, I had Maia Rose on my list as well. But yes, I find that a lot of students are very close in their very good level, so I'm sure it was hard to pick. Also, I am pleased to see so many very good male students this year. I already mentioned Luca, also Gulio Diligente and Rui Cesar Cruz (giant leaps!) catched my eyes. Good luck to all of the finalists!

As for "no Americans among the finalists: #231 Ashley Coupal is from Canada (which is on the North American continent 😉) and she dances at the Orlando Ballet School. Maybe this is kind of comfort.🤗

Edited by Sabine0308

Have just received the possibility to vote for one of the finalists!!

So difficult. No idea who to choose but two of the men come to the fore...still undecided at this point. 
I liked Maia Rose as well and Ashley Coupal 

And one of the Korean ladies I think ...will need to check name. 

Very happy with the results for #226 Luca (3 prizes, among them scholarship no. 2) and Winner No. 218 Casalinho, and the 2 winners for contemporary - well deserved.  I'm okay with the other prizes with one exception: the Nureyev prize went to #118 Maciano????? I'm not an expert but really...compare his dancing to Shale Wagman's performances 2018 and tell me who did deserve this "prize for exceptional artistry". 🙄

Also a bit disappointed that Gulio Diligente (Italy) didn't get a scholarship but well. 

• Like 1

Well , it was no surprise to us that Antonio Casalinho won. He has been marked at as  I said since 7 or 8 as one of the greats. He has won DWC and is their ambassador, YAGP and virtually everything across Europe that he can fit in round his school studies, Beijing, Varna... Prix was just another. All that remains is Moscow and the Rudolf Nureyev. It is a shame that Kiko 219 did not make the final prizes, but he, Guilio 216 and so many of the others will have attracted attention regardless. 

But it should be said that Antonio Casalinho and Francisco  Gomes have been dancing together since they were 6 or 7 and there has been very little to choose between them for all that time. Antonio if you would ask me , always had the edge in Classical, but Kiko could definitely hold his own in contemporary so this healthy competition was the glue that held them together as friends constantly driving each other forwards , and their teachers were smart in keeping them on different projects and yet centrered in class and group work. They had excellent company from some older young men who have entered companies directly and pupils like Guilio who arrived a few years ago, and they all benefitted from superb partners in the girls, too many to number but Laura Viola( Prix) and Maia Rose are just two, and of course Matilde Rodrigues who was accepted directly for the BRB  this last season.  Watch this space for more pupils at Prix from this school in the future.

Back to the others, gosh that must have been hard for the judges. So glad Luca picked up his prizes, and the Brazilian lad. I wanted the other there too. Yes I too liked Ashley Coupal, but I still thought IMHO that the contrast between Esmeralda and the contemporary moves of Jooyoung had the edge over her colleague  Seojeong, but just by a hair's breadth, but I am not a  teacher, dancer nor judge, so its just a feeling, my feeling. I reassessed my opinion of Rain upon seeing the boys do it.I think the girls made it too delicate, too classical. Could be me. A Variation for Diogo I loved with its elements of character, which is another area of important concern in the Portuguese school. They have the most fabulous Russian character/ folklore teacher who is adored by my DD, since they first met, and all her pupils. Check out YAGP or DWC films to see her work. This is an area still highly valued in Portuguese vocational schools and adds to the curriculum for company jobs. And Grinding the Teeth , well as a dentist, I will have to check Antonio's now , so well and thoroughly did he perform it.

My DD commented that she did not like the format compared to normal as in her words' it is easier to do rerecord' if not perfect , and I would have preferred to see the finalists perform live at least one of the choreographies if not both, not a rerun of the original recording for greater accuracy in performance technique.  My DD had had many friends go for the competition and the choreogrpahic project so she has followed it for years. We did get to see the usual habitat of the dancers, some with considerably better facilities than others, especially where certain countries are completely shut out of studios and theatre spaces and therefore working in less safe environments or smaller spaces, but never-the -less I am sure the judges took this into account. Let's hope its back to normal next year.

It just remains to be seen the offers that these youngsters now receive, and back to encouraging our DC's and supporting our teachers.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the format of the is video edition of the prix.  I thought the individual videos of class work were quite revealing, as were the solid but in a different way to live performance.  Some managed to ‘perform and project’ even in video format. 

In the finals I thought Luca Abdul-Nour’s performance videos were superior to Antonio Casalinho’s and wondered if the jury were influenced by Antonio’s known prior performances.  I personally believe it is impossible to be objective once you ‘know’ a dancer from previous performances.  

On 05/02/2021 at 20:26, tutugirl said:

Not a single American in the final .

I am quite disappointed with myself , having only picked 8 out of the 20 finalists !

My favourites are the Japanese girl 135 and the Portuguese boy number 218.

I’ve been fortunate enough to watch Antonio over the years and even at the tender age of 11 it wasn’t difficult to realise that he was one to follow. Whilst my DD crossed paths with him on several occasions over the years at competitors, she’s always said he was always so genuine and humble. Amazing young man and do so talented, I’m not surprised he was awarded Gold. Such a down to earth and genuine character who enjoys a laugh like the next teenager  🤩

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, balletbean said:

I’ve been fortunate enough to watch Antonio over the years and even at the tender age of 11 it wasn’t difficult to realise that he was one to follow. Whilst my DD crossed paths with him on several occasions over the years at competitors, she’s always said he was always so genuine and humble. Amazing young man and do so talented, I’m not surprised he was awarded Gold. Such a down to earth and genuine character who enjoys a laugh like the next teenager  🤩

He is exactly that Balletbean! Always giving of his time to anyone who wants to talk , have a selfie, and quick to congratulate others, and as big as team player in group choreographies as he is as a soloist. He is inspirational to many young bys starting, and has had an important infIuence on the Portuguese parents who don't understand bys dancing  He will be an asset to any company in the truest sense of the word.He doesn't seek the spotlight , it finds him. Really lovely young man whose feet are on the ground when not flying through the air.  

And Abdel's responses to his prizes showed him to be built in the same mould, Fiona, didn't you think? Certainly a lovely dancer with a great future and I agree it is difficult to be objective sometimes. 

• Like 2

Yes @Lusodancerit does seem that Luca was genuinely surprised by his success at the Prix and humble in his responses.   It’s such a turning point for them all ... cannot wait to hear which companies they choose.   I am sure they all have multiple offers!

The next thing will be coping with professional life on the bottom of the ladder with multiple PdL winners ahead of them in the companies they join.   It must be a huge adjustment.   I hope they have good support in making their choices and in how to cope. 🤞

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve only just seen that Tanya Pearson who runs a Ballet school/ Academy in Sydney Australia has died aged 84

She died on Feb 8th

I only knew because the Prix de Lausanne have mentioned her in an obituary today. 
She sent many dancers to the Prix every year and was very well known in Sydney. The daughter of a good friend who lives in Sydney trained at her Academy although has not taken up Dance as a career now. 
I don’t know why this obituary has only come through today but anyway thought I’d mention it here as followers of the Prix might recognise her name. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I just read in the 'Dancing Times' that Casalinho wanted to join the Royal Ballet, but unfortunately they were 'not hiring from the Prix de Lausanne'.  What a shame.

That is interesting.  At 17 is he too old for Royal Ballet School or did he want to join a company?