BRB Lazuli Sky Mixed Bill - Birmingham Rep and Sadler's Wells Oct 2020

Just got back from my first live ballet since March, a wonderfully eclectic mixed bill at the Birmingham Rep theatre with a socially distanced audience of, I'm guessing, around 200. Here's a picture of the curtain call for the first piece, Vicente Nebrada's ultra-romantic Our Waltzes. So great to be back!

IMG_3076.jpeg

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

In reality, it's too early - as it's for Sunday's Observer.  They're developing a habit here of early publication online for the Sunday paper - the NY Times tends to do it too.  But for now, we'll run it tomorrow.

Sorry!

My goodness, no need to be sorry - and if I hit the wrong tone, then I apologise.  I had merely intended to draw attention to this new habit that has emerged over the past month concerning the Guardian/Observer.

And now I think about it, the Times/Sunday Times have been at it too.  I guess that it simply confirms that many of the Sunday supplements are put to bed in midweek.

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to BRB Lazuli Sky Mixed Bill - Birmingham Rep and Sadler's Wells Oct 2020
9 hours ago, alison said:

Farringdon is a 15-minute or so walk away, but navigating through the maze of streets can be tricky.

not if you've done it as often as me! lol

Actually, its probably easier just to go along the main Farringdon Road, and hook a right at Exmouth Market up Rosebury Ave

31 minutes ago, alison said:

Would someone like to report back on the actual performances, for those of us who were unable to attend?  You know, give us something to feed off for the next 4(?) weeks?  Please?

I’m going to watch the streaming later. Couldn’t get to SWells, so next best option.

Rather emotional, having been at last night’s performance. It was lovely to be back at Sadlers Wells, seeing BRB, and I’m so glad that all the planned performances of Lazuli Sky were able to take place. A little sad at implication of the further restrictions announced, but I won’t go any further down that road. I very much enjoyed the whole programme. I thought ‘Our Waltzes’ was gorgeous - joyful, innocent, emotional. I liked it as an opener for that reason - it was as if the dancers were telling us ‘We’re back, and we’re so happy to be back’. Momoko Hirata and Cesar Morales, ebullient and sparkling, stood out for me; I was also drawn to the tenderness of Tyrone Singleton and Samara Downs’ dancing.  ‘Liebestod’ was danced by Tzu-Chao Chou, replacing the injured Yasuo Atsuji. This was a punchy, muscular, exciting performance, if very brief. ‘Lazuli Sky’ was a superb climax, full of adrenaline and beauty, tension and power, gorgeously lit and staged. The whole ensemble were excellent but special mention to Tom Rogers and Yu Kurihara. I’d definitely like to see it again, as there was so much to take in. Huge kudos to Carlos Acosta, Will Tuckett and all involved in this very special programme. 

• Like 9

Well I didn't make it to SW but they have kindly refunded me, I have just signed on to the streaming and what good picture and sound quality, look forward to seeing it in comfort! I just wanted to say how pleased I am that Carlos Acosta was able to get this show on the stage at Birmingham and SW, he was the first person to respond to the situation and deserves lots of credit and love :)

• Like 7

Well, here we are again - just as with the RB's Gala.  Ticket purchased, ticketco.tv dialled up on our Panasonic smart TV (as per instructions), the 5-letter code inserted ...... and "media cannot be loaded etc etc." 

Edit later to add:  Continual momentary stop/starts on my Desktop.  We've had enough after the first 2 numbers and, in the circumstances, I will refrain from comment on what we saw.

I doubt I'll be bothering with further streaming of this sort.

So sorry about your bad experience, Ian. 

Well, I suppose that my husband and I got lucky with our BRB streaming experience this time...watching from the Washington, DC, outskirts.

A spectacular, life-affirming show! Wow - where to begin? Will take the three works in order, starting with my absolute fave, as it was the gem of my ballet-viewing youth in San Juan, Puerto Rico, with Nebrada’s Ballet de Caracas on tour. His masterpiece and a jewel of Latin American ballet - Nuestros Valses (Our Waltzes), to romantic piano music by Latin composers (to my ears, so reminiscent of my Puerto Rican danzas). I particularly treasure the virtuosic “Red pdd” - here spectacularly rendered by Momoko Hirata & Cesar Morales, although all five couples performed commendably.

The brief but powerful solo Liebestodt (Panov/Wagner), seemed to distill a man’s life into five minutes of sculptural brilliance. “Bravo!” to dancer Brandon Lawrence!

Lastly, the world premiere piece - a visual feast of movement, design and sound: Will Tuckett’s Lazuli Sky, to a John Adams score. The ballet for 12 dancers presented exquisite movements against gorgeous projections with smart costumes, particularly in the middle segment, in which the six ladies wore white crinoline-capes maneuvered into constantly-changing formations...like our ever-changing lives nowadays.

A totally satisfying evening of dance but one that, for me, will forever be remembered for the tremendous gift to We Latino balletomanes who grew up with  Nuestros Valses - now magnificently captured on film - the ballet of my heart. Carlos Acosta - Mil gracias por traernos este tesoro! And Gracias, Birmingham Royal Ballet, for this special program! 💗 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 8

Has anyone had problems accessing Lazuli? Although I paid for a ticket on 20 October I can't find an email confirming the purchase anywhere on my computer and the BRB system doesn't recognise my email address, the way the ROH does when I access a RB streaming so I can't watch it, at least without buying another ticket.

Sheila:  My pretty downbeat experience was recorded some posts above, but I did get a confirmation and a code to insert.  But be aware that it came from "TicketCo AS" (the outfit apparently streaming the show) and not from BRB, so have another look at your Inbox.

• Like 1

Apologies, I tried a different search and finally got it. Lovely to see everyone dancing so well, not least Momoko, and Cesar, a true classical dancer. They were wonderful in Giselle last year- seems so much longer! Good to see and hear Jonathan Higgins, the pianist, one of the unsung heroes of BRB. And Brandon was in his element. Nice to see Tom Rogers given a bigger role than usual.

• Like 3

No streaming problems at all. Just installed,the app, entered the code given on the email and it played without a hitch. Particularly enjoyed Lazuli, Waltzes was not, for me, so enjoyable. Probably because the format was so like DAAG, and it just didn't do anything for me. 

I watched the Lazuli Sky streaming on my laptop (as I couldn't work out how to view it via my Now TV stick).  What can I say!

I loved the whole programme and would love to see it again on a live stage.  Alan Titchmarsh looked quite emotional as he said a few words of introduction before introducing Carlos Acosta who made a stirring and motivational speech.  I was quite choked up by the end.

Our Waltzes was, for me, a delight.  It was pretty and delicate and one of those ballets that, although abstract, you could make up little stories for yourself.  It was danced fabulously by a starry array of dancers from the upper echelons of the company and, although unfair to choose, Momoko and Cesar were the standouts for me.

Liebestod was a deeply emotional solo danced with power and sincerity by Brandon.  Just wow!!

Lazuli Sky was just wonderful.  As Sheila said higher up the thread it was fantastic to see Tom Rogers in a leading role and he really made the most of it.  I thought the standard of filming for this piece was outstanding and I loved the overhead views of the origami crinolines and the dancers swirling across the stage.  The piece itself had quite a large cast, mostly socially distanced swirling around the stage but with some gorgeous pairings.  The duet for Tom and (I think) Yu Kurihara was sublime.  

Thank you Birmingham Royal Ballet!

• Like 7

Wonderful, Jan! 

I was thinking about many folks’ (legitimate) comments about Our Waltzes being too similar to Robbins’ DAAG. Yeah, dancers dance to romantic piano music. But weren’t so many of these sorts of works prevalent in the 1970s (DAAG coming in ‘69)? Even the Trocks with Yes, Virginia, Another Piano Ballet. Even Robbins himself (In the Night, etc.)

Yet, to me, the settings and atmosphere are different - one seemingly outdoors in an Eastern European village...people who work the land; the other, in a ballroom in an aristocratic home in Caracas...at one of those the-dansants or debutante balls that were prevalent among “polite society”  back then.

Also, how would I or anyone else in the audience in any venue visited by Ballet Intl de Caracas in 1979 have ever heard of DAAG or Robbins in that pre-internet era? I read about it 10 years later in microfilm of the NYTimes in my university library. As a teen in an auditorium in little Caribbean island, Nebrada’s Waltzes was unique bliss! It still is, for me, compared to all works  in that genre that I’ve since seen.

p.s. Nebrada worked at the Harkness Ballet in NYC in 1969 so, of course, would’ve been fully aware of DAAG.

• Like 4