White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

47 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Hi Ballerina girl. I think they do take into account finals though as well as our JA teacher said sometimes they find a physical issue (i guess from physio assessment) which might rule you out from MA....? X 

If they are JA’s then any physical issue will of most likely been flagged up at prior physio assessments at JA classes. I know several children who’ve not applied for white lodge but have been given MA places in previous years and we were always told it’s based directly from prelim auditions. No doubt if a major issue does get flagged up at finals then it will affect their MA result but most decisions will be based on prelims (or videos in this years case) xx 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd was a JA for 2 years and made WL and elmhurst finals - physio at both finals noticed a hip rotation issue in both meaning she’d never quite get 100% turnout on one side, which I found out afterwards was the decider against a place sadly. She was the only one in her class to get MAs however and other girls with no such physio feedback either didn’t get a place or got a MA wait list place - even one that got a place at Elmhurst - so read into that what you like! 🤷🏼‍♀️ You just can’t call it.  

Edited by Balletmum55
Clarity
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Balletmum55 said:

My dd was a JA for 2 years and made WL and elmhurst finals - physio at both finals noticed a hip rotation issue in both meaning she’d never quite get 100% turnout on one side, which I found out afterwards was the decider against a place sadly. She was the only one in her class to get MAs however and other girls with no such physio feedback either didn’t get a place or got a MA wait list place - even one that got a place at Elmhurst - so read into that what you like! 🤷🏼‍♀️ You just can’t call it.  

How is your daughter now with her hip? Is it fixable or just something she can dance with and not cause problems? 

I was also wondering about height? Is height a major factor? My daughter turned up last week to be the tallest of her year 9 girls at audition and i now think she might just get a no cause of that?!

1 hour ago, Newbie2 said:

How is your daughter now with her hip? Is it fixable or just something she can dance with and not cause problems? 

I was also wondering about height? Is height a major factor? My daughter turned up last week to be the tallest of her year 9 girls at audition and i now think she might just get a no cause of that?!

It causes no problems and is unnoticeable to the human eye. Her ballet teacher knew her turnout wasn’t quite as good on that side but didn’t know it was a physical issue as opposed to a strength issue.  It’s not fixable as it’s just the way her bones are made - not everyone can get full rotation even if they’re in full splits etc - it was only a few % but at finals for classical ballet it’s the difference between a place and no place when there are so many talented children. 

Im not sure whether it was taken into account for MAs or not or whether they update her file but she continued get places on the royal summer/spring intensive so perhaps only used for finals? 

In terms of height my dd was small but not tiny but her best friend there was tall. There was a huge range of sizes and shapes at JAs in terms of body shape, leg length, height (both talller and smaller than my dd) and overall look including lots of different strengths. 

At MAs the body shape and height of the girls tended to be more similar but there was a tiny girl and a very tall girl in an older year so I honestly don’t think you can call it. Good luck xxx 

• Like 2

On 26/03/2021 at 22:00, Newbie2 said:

My daughter said there were 3 for year 8 entry and 3 for year 9 entry- all girls (she went in at 1.30pm today). Not sure how many others there were in the morning.

yes we have to give our current school a term’s notice so need to know before end of April!! 

There were 6 for year 8 in my daughters group at 3pm.😬

• Like 1

We just got an email regarding year 9 entry - unfortunately my dd didnt get a place 🙁 

Keep telling myself there’s lot to look forward to with her dance school show and festivals coming up. She also got direct entry to summer school at White Lodge....hopefully meant to be 

good luck to everyone still waiting 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Newbie2 said:

We just got an email regarding year 9 entry - unfortunately my dd didnt get a place 🙁 

Keep telling myself there’s lot to look forward to with her dance school show and festivals coming up. She also got direct entry to summer school at White Lodge....hopefully meant to be 

Well done to her for getting so far. X 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Newbie2 said:

Did you also apply for MAs? X

23 minutes ago, Newbie2 said:

Sounds like she did amazing to get finals and they obviously really like her to offer summer school too! Well done x 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newbie2 said:

Well done to her for getting so far, and for getting onto the summer school 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancermom said:

Did you also apply for MAs? X

No we didn’t - probably should have but we didn’t think of it...she got direct entry to summer school this year and also to finals (through doing the online summer intensive in 2020) so didnt really think of that as an option

7 minutes ago, Newbie2 said:

No we didn’t - probably should have but we didn’t think of it...she got direct entry to summer school this year and also to finals (through doing the online summer intensive in 2020) so didnt really think of that as an option

They must have really liked her then. That’s amaZing to be seen on the online intensive well done to her! It’s hard for us and them when there’s so few spaces! I have heard that they can offer some places after summer school so you never know if she catches their eye again it might turn into a yes! X

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 20:07, Katycat said:

Totally agree! Am trying (& failing) to put it out of my head! My daughter also leaves for the Spring Intensive on Tuesday - I’d hope she’d know before but clearly not! Will be tough if I hear it’s a ‘no’ whilst she’s there 😬

How did your daughter get on with the audition ? Have you heard? Hope she’s enjoying the spring intensive too x

12 minutes ago, Ballerina_girl said:

Surely we must be getting closer to finding out MA results now feels like it’s been forever 🤣

Yes I was hoping this week but maybe we’ll have to wait until after the school zoom auditions that are on the 19th. So maybe later next week?? X 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ballerina_girl said:

Surely we must be getting closer to finding out MA results now feels like it’s been forever 🤣

Well, we’ve had another view of our preliminary video so perhaps some decisions are being made? Or not??😂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

Oh that’s interesting! When was that? Did your DC go to finals? Xx 

Would have to check to be exact but late last week I think? No she didn’t go to finals so we are not expecting to get MA’s, I was surprised it had been looked at again

5 minutes ago, Sally-Anne said:

Would have to check to be exact but late last week I think? No she didn’t go to finals so we are not expecting to get MA’s, I was surprised it had been looked at again

She could definitely get a mids place without going to finals. It’s got to be a really good sign that the video has been looked at again. Fingers crossed. From what I’ve heard a few of the Jas from London have a place at WL so that would open up a few spaces on the London mids anyway xx 

2 hours ago, Sally-Anne said:

Well, we’ve had another view of our preliminary video so perhaps some decisions are being made? Or not??😂

That sounds promising if they have watched it again, I haven’t checked ours for views incase I messed up the settings, although if they are watching it again as late as last week doesn’t sound like results will be this week. 

8 minutes ago, Ballerina_girl said:

That sounds promising if they have watched it again, I haven’t checked ours for views incase I messed up the settings, although if they are watching it again as late as last week doesn’t sound like results will be this week. 

I wouldn’t read too much into it, it was just a surprise that it had been viewed again at all. Could be someone opened it by accident or anything really!

5 minutes ago, Sally-Anne said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it, it was just a surprise that it had been viewed again at all. Could be someone opened it by accident or anything really!

hopefully it is a positive for you, but as you say best not to read into it, I’ve learnt not to get hopes up, my DD was at the final and the no was disappointing so trying not to get hopes up with this. There’s a lot that got places at WL from the south so I’m expecting more movement down south and not our way really. So keeping hopes low! 

5 minutes ago, Medora said:

Thanks @Returnofthejedi good to know! What is the likelihood that existing JA’s continue to MA? Can they more or less expect it? I would imagine they have a much better chance than a complete outsider of a comparable level, as they have known their JA’s since years 

There are far fewer places for MAs than JAs. It was a small fraction of the JAs in DD’s class that were offered places. Almost all were on the waiting list, but only one actually got a place from it. It’s good to manage expectations before results come out. Fingers crossed for everyone.