White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

12 minutes ago, Bunny said:

I think if they can and where they can it makes sense to put kids together from the same JA centres just so there are familiar faces on the day, but in some cases that won’t be possible and it is what it is. As long as they’re all going and have the opportunity to see the school and experience the audition, that’s the main thing! 

I don’t see why children from the same JA centre should be together to deliberately give them the advantage of familiarity over other children who are not JAs. I would be very surprised if that was a policy.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, rowan said:

I don’t see why children from the same JA centre should be together to deliberately give them the advantage of familiarity over other children who are not JAs. I would be very surprised if that was a policy.

I wouldn’t see it as an advantage. More of a kindness that can be afforded. Knowing the child across the room won’t make their turnout or flexibility or musicality any better but it might make them feel more comfortable and confident. 

I think that the finals it’s every man for himself so to speak and the fact that they’re JAs will probably be on their paperwork for the panel to see but other than that they will be treated exactly the same as every other candidate and would have been thrown into the pack and given dates and times the same way as every child. Xx 

12 minutes ago, stardust1 said:

At the girls final last year there were 3 groups of around 25 each over the two days.  There was no obvious logic to the groupings, it appeared to be random and definitely not based on age, home location or JA centre.  

Do you know if there was any correlation between group and result? Were more taken from one group? Or did they take 5 from each? Or completely random?  

4 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Do you know if there was any correlation between group and result? Were more taken from one group? Or did they take 5 from each? Or completely random?  

No correlation at all.   The girls were non the wiser when they left at the end of the day whether they’d got in or not.  They did recall a small group of 14/15 to have a second look at that was made up from girls across the groups but I believe only 1 or 2 from this got a place.  They’ve done this over recent years but I guess it won’t be happening this year.  
Most places are awarded after the main class so they definitely know what they are and aren’t looking for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bunny said:

I wouldn’t see it as an advantage. More of a kindness that can be afforded. Knowing the child across the room won’t make their turnout or flexibility or musicality any better but it might make them feel more comfortable and confident. 

But helping only some children to be made to feel more comfortable or confident than other applicants would be an advantage. Kindness won’t come into it much.

7 minutes ago, stardust1 said:

No correlation at all.   The girls were non the wiser when they left at the end of the day whether they’d got in or not.  They did recall a small group of 14/15 to have a second look at that was made up from girls across the groups but I believe only 1 or 2 from this got a place.  They’ve done this over recent years but I guess it won’t be happening this year.  
Most places are awarded after the main class so they definitely know what they are and aren’t looking for.

What did the 'second look' consist of? Another class or more physio stuff? xx

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Some girls had to have another physio check......some were taken back in to a ballet class and taught exercises to then repeat. 

2 of my dd ja friends got called back.....one got a no.....the other got waiting list and then a place from that 

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

From

how I understand it from ds associate teacher the 2nd look for girls was a call back on the 3rd day for those they were unsure of... the definite yes and no’s don’t get called back. Boys never needed call backs as so much fewer and varying standards. So much harder for girls for sure. 
physio check is done once at the final audition xx 

Just with regard to grouping with JA classes or not, my daughter hardly knows her JA class, as they mixed the groups around at the start of year 6, and ever since then, they’ve been mostly on Zoom. Many moons ago, I got to the WL final, and they kept children back who they liked, gradually narrowing it down, and those who got in found out on the day! I didn’t make the first cut, but did go to the summer school that year!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bluebird22 said:

Boys content was barre, tendu, plie, looking at facilities more than dance quality/ability

That’s a shame... so they do t care if the boy has musicality or not it can improvise? Strange associate teacher preps improve so much if it’s just about plié and barre work 🧐. I’ve been told by several other dance teacher friends that artistry is very important. They must have that “ something”

2 hours ago, stardust1 said:

At the girls final last year there were 3 groups of around 25 each over the two days.  There was no obvious logic to the groupings, it appeared to be random and definitely not based on age, home location or JA centre.  

My DD was there last year with 3 other girls from her JA centre and they were in the 3 different groups, which definitely seemed to correspond with their ages (2 were together in one group). 

40 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

That’s a shame... so they do t care if the boy has musicality or not it can improvise? Strange associate teacher preps improve so much if it’s just about plié and barre work 🧐. I’ve been told by several other dance teacher friends that artistry is very important. They must have that “ something”

They did improvisation at the WL prelim auditions last year but not at finals, which seemed a shame.

Hi, this is my first post.

My ds has finals for both White Lodge and Elmhurst. He isn't a JA or the equivalent at Elmhurst. He's been dancing for just over 2 years and his teacher suggested applying to MA's, so we submitted an application for the school too. I don't come from a dancing background, so have no clue about this. They suggested applying to Elmhurst too, as we might regret it in years to come if he wasn't given the opportunity. He also has a place on the Royal Ballet Spring Intensive but isn't applying for the summer one as he didn't want to miss his last week of Primary School and we are hopefully on holiday for the second week.

My post was mainly to say not everyone with a final audition is a JA or even known to the schools at all. He really is a novice compared to others it seems - did I read that there is only about 28 boys at finals?!

We have to arrive on Friday 12th at 1.30 to 2 and collect at 5.20pm. I'm hoping there is a Costa or similar open to grab a drink and cake. We're driving and it looks like a 2 hour journey, first long journey in our electric car, so may be looking for a charging point nearby too. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough for a walk around the park.

Good luck to everyone's children - it is so exciting for them all to have got this far.

• Like 5

Hi, and welcome. :) (and congrats to your DS) 

My DS will be in that group too.  He said he’s bringing his top trumps along and a normal deck of cards incase they are allowed to play/chat with everyone while waiting between sessions. Hopefully they’ll be allowed and it might ease their nerves. :) 

There are a few park cafés and plenty of coffee shops in town which is a 10-15 minute drive away. There is a large Sainsbury’s not too far a drive away too and I’d assume they’d have charging points (might be worth a Google). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

Hi, this is my first post.

My ds has finals for both White Lodge and Elmhurst. He isn't a JA or the equivalent at Elmhurst. He's been dancing for just over 2 years and his teacher suggested applying to MA's, so we submitted an application for the school too. I don't come from a dancing background, so have no clue about this. They suggested applying to Elmhurst too, as we might regret it in years to come if he wasn't given the opportunity. He also has a place on the Royal Ballet Spring Intensive but isn't applying for the summer one as he didn't want to miss his last week of Primary School and we are hopefully on holiday for the second week.

My post was mainly to say not everyone with a final audition is a JA or even known to the schools at all. He really is a novice compared to others it seems - did I read that there is only about 28 boys at finals?!

We have to arrive on Friday 12th at 1.30 to 2 and collect at 5.20pm. I'm hoping there is a Costa or similar open to grab a drink and cake. We're driving and it looks like a 2 hour journey, first long journey in our electric car, so may be looking for a charging point nearby too. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough for a walk around the park.

Good luck to everyone's children - it is so exciting for them all to have got this far.

HI, My ds is also in the same group and will be auditioning for Elmhurst too. 

My ds is very fidgety so I think a rubix cube might help. 

Anyone bringing electronics? Or would it be frowned upon? 

I hope they do get to interact a bit as especially for boys it is always  great  to meet other boys who do ballet.  

5 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

HI, My ds is also in the same group and will be auditioning for Elmhurst too. 

My ds is very fidgety so I think a rubix cube might help. 

Anyone bringing electronics? Or would it be frowned upon? 

I hope they do get to interact a bit as especially for boys it is always  great  to meet other boys who do ballet.  

I’m letting my DD take her phone in case of emergency but I don’t want her zoning out on it so She’s taking a book or crossword puzzle and I’ve told her not to get her phone out in case she needs it! 

I think they’ll be waiting around a bit so I’m sure there’ll be time for them to say hi to each other ☺️ 

Edited by Dancermom
  • Like 1

Hello @BalletBoyMum1 and congratulations! Hope you are all sorted for the exciting day at WL. Massive well done to your DS and don't worry if he's not got much experience so far, they must have liked what they saw in the videos and that's what has got him this far! 

As for activities, I'm not going to give my DS any technology because he'd probably leave it somewhere and we'd be half way home before he realised he'd left it in the building! 😂 Sticking to a book!

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome. I thought similar in regards to activities - book, cards, board game, drawing book, rubiks cube. Lets hope they get to play together and get to know each other.

I'll be finding a spot in the park, if nice, to either do some marking from the first week back at school or read a book in peace and quiet for a few hours. It's a shame it is still lockdown or we could have all met each other and had a chat.

My son is excited but also a bit apprehensive as this is the first time he is doing anything like this. I've just said to be yourself and enjoy the lesson, then they will see your happiness shine through. I'm just hoping he does as his fake smile looks like he's in pain (you know the one, the school photo smile!) 😂

We're quite relaxed about it all as we hadn't really considered he would get this far. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I thought similar in regards to activities - book, cards, board game, drawing book, rubiks cube. Lets hope they get to play together and get to know each other.

I'll be finding a spot in the park, if nice, to either do some marking from the first week back at school or read a book in peace and quiet for a few hours. It's a shame it is still lockdown or we could have all met each other and had a chat.

My son is excited but also a bit apprehensive as this is the first time he is doing anything like this. I've just said to be yourself and enjoy the lesson, then they will see your happiness shine through. I'm just hoping he does as his fake smile looks like he's in pain (you know the one, the school photo smile!) 😂

We're quite relaxed about it all as we hadn't really considered he would get this far. 

As much as I would love them to be able to mingle... I can’t imagine them being allowed to sit close enough to each other to play cards etc sadly plus with masks on whilst they are waiting too they can’t even read each other’s facial expressions 😞. I hope I’m wrong but .... 

3 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

As much as I would love them to be able to mingle... I can’t imagine them being allowed to sit close enough to each other to play cards etc sadly plus with masks on whilst they are waiting too they can’t even read each other’s facial expressions 😞. I hope I’m wrong but .... 

yes you’re right I hadn’t really thought of that. Best not to be left to their own devices to mingle too much anyway as  some kids can psyche each other out 😩 happens at festivals I can always tell when it’s happened to my DD as soon as she walks on stage! Best just to focus maybe 🤣

Edited by Dancermom

2 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

My daughter said normally in that situation, nobody talks to each other! 😂 Although she’s only going by the JA audition, I’d hope they might chat a bit this time! Guess they’ll be nervous! 

It’s going to be a weird situation for them especially with masks. I’m sure it’ll be the same kind of format as a JA audition. My DDs experience with the JA auditions she’s always been with me so hasn’t mingled and last year it was a video. So it will be a little different for them as we won’t be there. It’s definitely going to be more of a challenge as before they’d have us there to spur them on and send them in with confidence where as now we’ll have no control over it. As soon as they enter the studio we have no control anyway but I think we do big them up a bit before they go in usually 🤣 they’ll have none of that so they all may be a little more nervous unless they’re a super confident person naturally x 

DS will chat to any and everyone, even the staff. I think he goes there TO make friends and doesn’t get the concept of how competitive it all is just yet (thankfully for him). 😅

He came out of JA auditions telling me about the friends he’d made - their names, where they travelled from, their interests. 😂 He was so super relaxed at that one though. 

My youngest DD did the same at her (other) associates class and was really sad not to see some of the girls again. My eldest (teenager) has done some bits and pieces and said it can feel rather daunting with everyone sizing each other up - they definitely mingle less as they get older. She’s super shy though so won’t approach anyone to say hi. My younger two are much bolder and will still attempt saying hi at least. :) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

DS will chat to any and everyone, even the staff. I think he goes there TO make friends and doesn’t get the concept of how competitive it all is just yet (thankfully for him). 😅

He came out of JA auditions telling me about the friends he’d made - their names, where they travelled from, their interests. 😂 He was so super relaxed at that one though. 

My youngest DD did the same at her (other) associates class and was really sad not to see some of the girls again. My eldest (teenager) has done some bits and pieces and said it can feel rather daunting with everyone sizing each other up - they definitely mingle less as they get older. She’s super shy though so won’t approach anyone to say hi. My younger two are much bolder and will still attempt saying hi at least. :) 

Thats definitely a good thing for your Ds it means he will be less tense! My DD is not shy at all when she gets to know you but can be a bit shy at approaching girls to make friends. Once she’s done it they’ll be besties for life 🤣 but she can be a bit quiet just in certain situations. She’s not shy at all on stage and finds the back stage experience far more daunting than actually being in front of the audience 🤣 a couple of her school teachers have described her as ‘quietly confident’ which I like 😆 

1 hour ago, Dancermom said:

It’s going to be a weird situation for them especially with masks. I’m sure it’ll be the same kind of format as a JA audition. My DDs experience with the JA auditions she’s always been with me so hasn’t mingled and last year it was a video. So it will be a little different for them as we won’t be there. It’s definitely going to be more of a challenge as before they’d have us there to spur them on and send them in with confidence where as now we’ll have no control over it. As soon as they enter the studio we have no control anyway but I think we do big them up a bit before they go in usually 🤣 they’ll have none of that so they all may be a little more nervous unless they’re a super confident person naturally x 

Yes very true about the masks, they do make communication more difficult, can’t even see a smile! At least they’re all in the same position, and I think sometimes not having us parents around can be a good thing! It’s just a shame we won’t get to tour the school, which I presume in normal times would be the case.