Scottish Ballet's online Christmas offering - The Secret Theatre

Guest oncnp

The  Scottish Ballet has a new film out this December. Free online (donation requested)

This Christmas, Scottish Ballet will bring the magic of the theatre right into your home. 

In a deserted city, a young boy stumbles into a theatre. He wanders through the auditorium, where rows of velvet chairs, draping curtains and chandeliers seem to lie in lonely wait for audiences to return. The theatre may be empty, but the show will go on... 

Starring characters from our most popular festive ballets, the worlds of the Snow Queen and the Sugar Plum Fairy collide when the theatre bursts into life. In this spectacular, feature-length film, you’ll be treated to an extraordinary show filled with acrobats, snowflakes, clowns, princes and – of course – beautiful ballerinas.   

The Secret Theatre features the choreography of Scottish Ballet founder Peter Darrell and CEO/Artistic Director Christopher Hampson, co-directed for the screen by Jess & Morgs. With set and costumes designed by Lez Brotherston; music by Rimsky-Korsakov and Tchaikovsky, recorded live by the Scottish Ballet Orchestra; and performances from the full Scottish Ballet Company; this Christmas special will be an unforgettable adventure for all the family. 

The Secret Theatre will premiere on Monday 21 December at 6pm and be available online until Thursday 24 December. Tickets are FREE and must be booked in advance. 

https://www.scottishballet.co.uk/event/the-secret-theatre

Edited by oncnp

Sounds like an excellent - and original - idea.

In fact, such an excellent idea - and so far ahead of its scheduled date - that I'm going to move it into its own thread so it doesn't get lost in the lockdown suggestions thread.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

The Secret Theatre will premiere on Monday 21 December at 6pm and be available online until Thursday 24 December. Tickets are FREE and must be booked in advance. 

https://www.scottishballet.co.uk/event/the-secret-theatre

I tried to book a free ticket and the system just didn't do anything.  I used the donate button to make a trivial donation and it worked!

13 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

it didn't work either way for me!

I put 0 in the donation field and it worked. I  did also set up an account.

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

I put 0 in the donation field and it worked. I  did also set up an account.

I already had an account!  I am being understanding, given the current situation, but when I was prompted to check and update my details I just kept getting taken round in circles.  I didn't mind doing the donation though.

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I already had an account!  I am being understanding, given the current situation, but when I was prompted to check and update my details I just kept getting taken round in circles.  I didn't mind doing the donation though.

and I found Scottish Ballet membership to be really reasonable (I circled back and joined)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • alison changed the title to Scottish Ballet's online Christmas offering - The Secret Theatre

Much to enjoy in a production that fires the imagination combining the joy of dance and richness of theatre to create an original narrative of a boy discovering a world of colour and excitement in contrast with the grey world outside.

(NB Given the links currently being made in football about dementia and heading a football, having the boy head the ball repeatedly as a part of his “trick routine” may not have been a wise choice.) 

• 11 months later...

Take us home for the holidays!

WATCH YOUR SB FAVOURITES AGAIN AND AGAIN

Last year, lots of you fell in love with The Secret Theatre and have asked if you can watch it again. 

We’re thrilled to announce that the answer is YES – it’s now streaming to subscribers on Marquee TV! 

'An hour-long film that captures ballet’s festive twinkle and fairy-tale charm in screen-savvy manner' – The Guardian

Want more Scottish Ballet this winter? Starstruck and The Snow Queen are also available to stream on Marquee TV over the festive period.

NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?

We've teamed up with Marquee TV to give Scottish Ballet Members an exclusive discount. 

Enjoy a 7-day free trial plus 50% off an annual subscription to Marquee TV for a year of performing arts!