Rethink, reskill, reboot. When is it time to call it a day ?

Lifeafterballet

56 minutes ago, Peony said:

There’s nothing inherently better or worse about ballet or ‘Cyber’.

Having worked for 40 years in "cyber" or "computing" as it was known when I started, I call tell you which is far worse! Sadly, when I was at uni I switched from industrial chemistry to the wrong course. Hindsight eh?

• Like 1

Whilst I found the 'Fatima' ad deeply disturbing on many levels, I do think we should try to get across to our young dancers that if and when they decide that they no longer want to continue down the dancing route, there are many options open to them.

When my dd was training many people asked about her 'Plan B' - would she become a teacher, or a physiotherapist.  They presumed Plan B would be something dance related - but it doesn't have to be.

My dd's second career, after she finished working on Cruise Ships, has been as a Web Developer.  

Admittedly she was lucky to find a company happy to take on someone with no experience and train them.  

She is also lucky that it was her choice when to stop dancing  professionally.  I appreciate there are many currently who will not have that luxury.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Peony said:

It depends at what point you start counting it I guess!

you can add 4 years   with regard to GCSE and more particualrly  A levle options plus   extra curriculaer  stuff ...  the 10 years statement  standards on it;s merits 

45 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

122529556_2688335131380975_6114744929588767452_n.jpg.cbd4841a3ba8b52364db0536014303f3.jpg

the obvious Link  between Ballet and Dr Who is of course the late Christopher Gable of Central school of Ballet, Northern Ballet Theatre  (as it was during his time there )  and Sadler's Wells Royal ballet   and  of course  havign played a Dr Who villain  , who died   on 23rd October 1998... 

• Like 2