Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've just read Jim Pritchard's review of this evening in Seen and Heard International (see this week's Links for more details).  He has a point when he says: "Those watching at home (and in the opera house?) were treated as die-hard balletomanes because nothing we saw was ever fully introduced – either by Anita Rani or by means of titles for us online – in any great detail."  Possibly the ROH needs to think a little more about the expected audience for its broadcasts if they're getting plenty of coverage on TV and in the press, and assume the audience will be going beyond those who normally attend the Opera House - and let's face it, the wider the audience the more money it will rake in.  A sentence or two putting the pieces into context might well be helpful another time.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, alison said:

IPossibly the ROH needs to think a little more about the expected audience for its broadcasts if they're getting plenty of coverage on TV and in the press, and assume the audience will be going beyond those who normally attend the Opera House - and let's face it, the wider the audience the more money it will rake in.  A sentence or two putting the pieces into context might well be helpful another time.

 

Agreed.  Also see the Spectator review from this morning's links which said, in part....

 

'Galas don’t need presenters — a word of welcome and a few surtitles will normally suffice — and Anita Rani, despite a TV CV as long as your arm, is certainly no advertisement for the breed: gushing, uninformed and was she wearing that muumuu for a bet?"

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just occurred to me that the earlier start time for the live audience might have been driven in part by anxiety that the 10pm curfew might be extended to theatres. A 6.30pm start might have been considered too early to catch UK viewers, however.

 

(Sorry if this point has already been made.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a bit behind the times, having not found the discussion in the upcoming performances thread and not wanting to start my own!

 

Most of what I had to say has been said. Though no one has mentioned Nicol Edmonds - it wasn’t dazzling, but it was a strong performance, which as a soloist deserves credit.

 

I thought everyone was sticking to one partner, so I was a bit confused by Akane appearing with three men!

 

Female first soloists were notably absent, well half of them, if anyone has shareable info on their well-being please share!

 

Elizabeth Harrod, Olivia Cowley, Leticia Stock and Gemma Pitchley-Gale were other absentees I spotted, I just hope they are all well and it’s minor niggles or other small things that kept them off the stage.

 

They also haven’t done any promotions, has anything official been said on this? I assume their is a joiners announcement somewhere, but I must have missed that.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could make a quick general comment, I just started following this topic today. There’s a lot that I haven’t read, but based on some of the opening gala reports this seems to be the best worldwide scenario (performers and audience) for reopening that I’ve yet read about.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, annekh510 said:

I’m a bit behind the times, having not found the discussion in the upcoming performances thread and not wanting to start my own!

 

Most of what I had to say has been said. Though no one has mentioned Nicol Edmonds - it wasn’t dazzling, but it was a strong performance, which as a soloist deserves credit.

 

I thought everyone was sticking to one partner, so I was a bit confused by Akane appearing with three men!

 

Female first soloists were notably absent, well half of them, if anyone has shareable info on their well-being please share!

 

Elizabeth Harrod, Olivia Cowley, Leticia Stock and Gemma Pitchley-Gale were other absentees I spotted, I just hope they are all well and it’s minor niggles or other small things that kept them off the stage.

 

They also haven’t done any promotions, has anything official been said on this? I assume their is a joiners announcement somewhere, but I must have missed that.

 

 

Olivia Cowley is on maternity leave.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, capybara said:

Some ‘joiners’ who have not yet been announced could be seen on stage at the end!

The new intake of Aud Jebsen dancers are now listed on ROH website. No apparent changes in status of the dancers

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

The new intake of Aud Jebsen dancers are now listed on ROH website. No apparent changes in status of the dancers

 

I am thinking of last season's Aud Jebsen Young Dancers who have company contracts ☺️

They have not been formally announced as joining the RB but, in fact, are all now listed as Artists, along with the Prix Apprentice (Sumina Sasaki). The dancers I am thinking of are: Madison Bailiey; Liam Boswell; Brayden Gallucci; Bomin Kim; and Ginevra Zambon. Really pleased for them all.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an announcement of the new joiners .....

 

I’m still searching for the official notice.   In the meantime here’s an extract from Graham Watt’s Facebook on 1st October:

 

The Royal Ballet has announced that seven recently graduated dancers join the Company on 12-month, fixed term contracts for the 2020/21 Season.

 

From The Royal Ballet School, six graduates join the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme: Denilson Almeida Afonso, Daichi Ikarashi, James Large, Hanna Park, Maddison Pritchard and Marianna Tsembenhoi.

 

The Company also welcomes Marco Masciari, graduate of the Académie Princesse Grace and gold medallist at the 2020 Prix de Lausanne. Masciari joins the Company as the Prix de Lausanne dancer for the 2020/21 Season, continuing the longstanding scholarship arrangement with this prestigious dance award.

 

The Aud Jebsen Young Dancer programme was established in 2014 and provides recently graduated dancers a year’s contract to be nurtured and perform alongside the corps de ballet of The Royal Ballet. This programme is central to The Royal Ballet’s commitment to support emerging talent and since its inception has provided contracts for 35 dancers at the first stage of their careers.

 

Created in 1973, the Prix de Lausanne is an annual international competition for young dancers aged 15 to 18 years old.  Prix de Lausanne winners have the opportunity to dance with a professional company on a 12-month scholarship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FionaE said:

There was an announcement of the new joiners .....

 

I’m still searching for the official notice.   In the meantime here’s an extract from Graham Watt’s Facebook on 1st October:

 

The Royal Ballet has announced that seven recently graduated dancers join the Company on 12-month, fixed term contracts for the 2020/21 Season.

 

From The Royal Ballet School, six graduates join the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme: Denilson Almeida Afonso, Daichi Ikarashi, James Large, Hanna Park, Maddison Pritchard and Marianna Tsembenhoi.

 

The Company also welcomes Marco Masciari, graduate of the Académie Princesse Grace and gold medallist at the 2020 Prix de Lausanne. Masciari joins the Company as the Prix de Lausanne dancer for the 2020/21 Season, continuing the longstanding scholarship arrangement with this prestigious dance award.

 

The Aud Jebsen Young Dancer programme was established in 2014 and provides recently graduated dancers a year’s contract to be nurtured and perform alongside the corps de ballet of The Royal Ballet. This programme is central to The Royal Ballet’s commitment to support emerging talent and since its inception has provided contracts for 35 dancers at the first stage of their careers.

 

Created in 1973, the Prix de Lausanne is an annual international competition for young dancers aged 15 to 18 years old.  Prix de Lausanne winners have the opportunity to dance with a professional company on a 12-month scholarship.


I realise this does not mention the prior years Aud Jebsen dancers who are now Artists!   Hmm 🤔 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to say that I am slowly watching the Gala again - I'm making it last to get a daily "fix"!!!!   I just watched the white swan pdd and I have to say that watching it close-up on my tablet rather than on the computer, I saw it in a more intimate fashion and it was absolutely exquisite!!!  In the actual theatre, unless you are glued with opera glasses, you don't get the chance to become one with the dancers.  I was honestly almost in tears at the sheer beauty of it.  In these awful black days I am so grateful to the ROH for giving us the opportunity to remember how divine our ballet world can be!  Sorry if I'm gushing, but honestly that's how I feel...........

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I am getting more and more impressed with Akane Takada she was lovely in Wolf Works too....and Ed Watson he is definitely going out on a high! Still got everything absolutely. Pulling a section out of a ballet like Wolf Works to perform at a gala is not easy but the three of them Takada Watson and Richardson ( those turns!) pulled it off amazingly and like another poster has given me an appetite to see it again soon!!!

like Dance is Life am slowly making way through this gala still. Loved the R and J but  this couple already totally put me through the ringer earlier at the ROH so not possible to reach those heights with this short extract. 
Am very pleased that the Royal Ballet has managed to attract Marco Masciari ....he looked very promising indeed at the Prix earlier this year....seems like 5 years ago now already! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

How is it that I can't seem to watch this again??  I click on the link, log in, and then I just get a big black box where the video should (I assume) show.  I did leave a message for the ROH but needless to say I haven't had a response.  Can anyone advise please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sim said:

How is it that I can't seem to watch this again??  I click on the link, log in, and then I just get a big black box where the video should (I assume) show.  I did leave a message for the ROH but needless to say I haven't had a response.  Can any advise please?

Don’t have any advice Sim but I just accessed it via my original booking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sim said:

How is it that I can't seem to watch this again??  I click on the link, log in, and then I just get a big black box where the video should (I assume) show.  I did leave a message for the ROH but needless to say I haven't had a response.  Can any advise please?

 

I access it through the "What's On" page. Did you hover over the screen to see if anything like a slider came up on the bottom? Originally the program actually started 30 minutes in but that's fixed when I look at it now. 

 

Have you tried clearing your cookies? 

Edited by oncnp
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Don’t have any advice Sim but I just accessed it via my original booking.

That's how I have been trying!  I will give it another go soon.  I have done my back in so I am pretty restricted in my movements, the weather is grey, I am fed up with Covid-19 and the whole world at the moment...so I want to watch Anna-Rose and Marcelino bring sunshine into my life, if only for a few minutes.  Ditto Carousel, and much of the rest of the performance.  And I can skip the presenter, too!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oncnp said:

 

I access it through the "What's On" page. Did you hover over the screen to see of anything like a slider came up on the bottom? 

 

Have you tried clearing your cookies? 

Yes, I have tried going via What's On, and nothing happened with a hover.  My daughter has just tried and she managed it so is going to send me a link.  If that doesn't work, I will try to clear the cookies.  I should probably do that anyway;  I have so many!  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sim said:

Yes, I have tried going via What's On, and nothing happened with a hover.  My daughter has just tried and she managed it so is going to send me a link.  If that doesn't work, I will try to clear the cookies.  I should probably do that anyway;  I have so many!  Thanks.

 

Good luck! I hope you get in OK.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, I have tried going via What's On, and nothing happened with a hover.  My daughter has just tried and she managed it so is going to send me a link.  If that doesn't work, I will try to clear the cookies.  I should probably do that anyway;  I have so many!  Thanks.

 

'Hope you can get it to work and you're feeling better 😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bridiem said:

 

Good luck! I hope you get in OK.

Thanks everyone.  I am in. I didn’t realise I had to use Chrome instead of IE!!  🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️    
 

Already feeling better after The Dream!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is going to really reveal my ignorance but what does “clear cookies” mean and how would you do it🤔

Glad you’re in Sim I’ve just got Elite to watch now. 
I went via the Whats on page initially and then went into past activity ( that thing that looks like an open book) to access each time after that as it holds the place I’ve got to in the viewing. 
Not sure what will happen once I’ve finally got to the end though and want to watch any or all of it again 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks everyone.  I am in. I didn’t realise I had to use Chrome instead of IE!!  🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️    

 

I hope you're not using IE for anything. Microsoft stopped supporting it ages ago (i.e. not updating security). It does work with IE's successor, Edge but better with Chrome. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...