RBS video audition for year 7 2021 entry

Lara Eschler

In the last few months, a large amount of young dancers did video auditions for the Australian Ballet School.  This is for either full-time or associate-like programs.  It was actually a great learning opportunity for them and it is lovely to have the video to watch given, as parents, we are not seeing our children perform or in classes.

My DD's conclusion however is that the school would have ONLY watched her video (amongst 100's) if she passed the first test.  That is,  deemed to have the right 'look' in her photos!

Edited by DD Driver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DD Driver said:

In the last few months, a large amount of young dancers did video auditions for the Australian Ballet School.  This is for either full-time or associate-like programs.  It was actually a great learning opportunity for them and it is lovely to have the video to watch given, as parents, we are not seeing our children perform or in classes.

My DD's conclusion however is that the school would have ONLY watched her video (amongst 100's) if she passed the first test.  That is,  deemed to have the right 'look' in her photos!

I feel slightly better having done the year 6 JA video. Even though the filming went a bit wrong in parts somehow it worked out for her! ....just wondered when the deadline is for the application. Looked on the website and just can't seem to find it! X 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

I feel slightly better having done the year 6 JA video. Even though the filming went a bit wrong in parts somehow it worked out for her! ....just wondered when the deadline is for the application. Looked on the website and just can't seem to find it! X 

@Raquellethe deadline is the 17th of November, there will not be a preset video to watch so it is up to us to put the exercises combinations together ans the music on top of filming it. I think I will even struggle uploading it assuming I manage to video it. What program do you recommend for the upload?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DD Driver said:

@DD Driverwas your daughter successful?

My daughter's dance teacher used to do the videos and send them off herself. This was for entry to schools in Europe and the UK, and was standard for kids auditioning from Australia. I think she used a GoPro.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

@Raquellethe deadline is the 17th of November, there will not be a preset video to watch so it is up to us to put the exercises combinations together ans the music on top of filming it. I think I will even struggle uploading it assuming I manage to video it. What program do you recommend for the upload?

Hi. I filmed the dances on my phone and my husband edited it in Adobe premier but you could use imovie....he then exported the final movie file and created a free vimeo account. He uploaded the movie file to vimeo which gave us a link which we sent, which meant we weren't sending a huge file. X

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Hi. I filmed the dances on my phone and my husband edited it in Adobe premier but you could use imovie....he then exported the final movie file and created a free vimeo account. He uploaded the movie file to vimeo which gave us a link which we sent, which meant we weren't sending a huge file. X

Thanks so much for the tips @Raquelle

1 hour ago, Kanangra said:

@DD Driverwas your daughter successful?

My daughter's dance teacher used to do the videos and send them off herself. This was for entry to schools in Europe and the UK, and was standard for kids auditioning from Australia. I think she used a GoPro.

Hi Kanangra - Thanks! No she wasn't! 

It is ok though as she has become very resilient.  Also open minded about where she might land up one day.  Luckily good training is available in big cities here.  Going to The Australian Ballet School is just one route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DD Driver said:

Hi Kanangra - Thanks! No she wasn't! 

It is ok though as she has become very resilient.  Also open minded about where she might land up one day.  Luckily good training is available in big cities here.  Going to The Australian Ballet School is just one route.

Yes that's right, there are some fantastic full time schools here. Entry to ABS can be very political too, I believe.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/10/2020 at 14:37, The red shoes said:

Bear in mind this is ONLY if there is a local lockdown stopping your child from attending the preliminary audition in person. The video is not a replacement but a back up so won’t be watched unless the auditions are cancelled 

Just an update on this. I submitted my DS's WL application with video last week and have now received an email saying that they will not be holding  preliminary auditions face to face after all, following recent uncertainties because of new lockdown etc. So...the video WILL be the basis for deciding whether they make the list for WL finals regardless of whether you applied for in person audition or not! So no pressure! 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Just an update on this. I submitted my DS's WL application with video last week and have now received an email saying that they will not be holding  preliminary auditions face to face after all, following recent uncertainties because of new lockdown etc. So...the video WILL be the basis for deciding whether they make the list for WL finals regardless of whether you applied for in person audition or not! So no pressure! 🤣

Thank you so much for sharing @TwirlyWhirly. I was actually fearing this and was considering going for the second international video deadline so as to have more time. Must be a relief to be done with the video though. 

• Like 1

No worries @Lara Eschler! I've now looked on the RBS website and it's official. The deadline is now 5th January for all applicants, so anyone out there who hasn't done the video for the application yet has got until then! Half wishing we could have had more time, but equally, no guarantees we'd be getting back in a dance studio before January in any case...what's done is done!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

No worries @Lara Eschler! I've now looked on the RBS website and it's official. The deadline is now 5th January for all applicants, so anyone out there who hasn't done the video for the application yet has got until then! Half wishing we could have had more time, but equally, no guarantees we'd be getting back in a dance studio before January in any case...what's done is done!

We are in the same position we filmed and submitted my DD during half term as we were worried we would lockdown again.  Glad in one way we have it done it but also gutted as we could have had more time.  Like you said there is no guarantee we will be back in the studios in December especially if we go back into tier systems at least it’s out of our hands now.  

• Like 1

So glad I did my DS video in half term even though it took 2.5 hours to film and get right it was worth it. Now have the Tring video to do which has a completely different spec!!! May email Tring and be cheeky and see if they will accept the Royal video??? Closing date for Tring is end of December... who knows if we will be back in the studio by then 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The red shoes said:

So glad I did my DS video in half term even though it took 2.5 hours to film and get right it was worth it. Now have the Tring video to do which has a completely different spec!!! May email Tring and be cheeky and see if they will accept the Royal video??? Closing date for Tring is end of December... who knows if we will be back in the studio by then 🤷🏼‍♀️

Let us know if you do ask Tring! X

• Like 1

Although I've already sent in my DS's video, thought others might like to know there are now some helpful extra guidelines and suitable music on the RBS website for the WL/ mids application. Go to audition, then video requirements, then scroll down and there's a button to click - 'read our video audition guide'. Has very structured advice on all the exercises and spotify links to suitable music! Looks pretty helpful....Good luck everyone who's trying to do this during lockdown! 🙂

• Like 1

We sent our video in during half term. Then they extended the closing date until January. However I’ve just checked DS video and it was viewed yesterday for just under 6 minutes??!??? 
could this be them sifting through them now as original closing date for fave to face auditions was around now? Or maybe they are just trying to get ahead of themselves ? 

52 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

We sent our video in during half term. Then they extended the closing date until January. However I’ve just checked DS video and it was viewed yesterday for just under 6 minutes??!??? 
could this be them sifting through them now as original closing date for fave to face auditions was around now? Or maybe they are just trying to get ahead of themselves ? 

Hi how do you know if it was viewed? I really don't have a clue about this sort of thing 🤣🤣 

I submitted my DS’s yesterday afternoon and it’s showing as 12 views, and I can account for some of them as checking the quality on my phone, laptop etc and then hubby was trying to cast it to the TV as the quality was a bit dodgy on the laptop so I’m wondering if that’s just us refreshing that has managed to make it up to 12 views but at first I thought Royal must have watched it already so now I’m not sure! 😂 But this will just be another thing to keep checking and obsessing over now won’t it! Good luck everyone ❤️🤞🏻🩰 It’s a long time to wait if we really are waiting till mid Feb isn’t it! 

2 hours ago, The red shoes said:

Oh wow! Guess they may be trying to get ahead of the avalanche of videos... Luckily, have no idea how or if I can check if ours has been viewed! Just have to wait and see! Good luck everyone!!

7 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Oh wow! Guess they may be trying to get ahead of the avalanche of videos... Luckily, have no idea how or if I can check if ours has been viewed! Just have to wait and see! Good luck everyone!!

Did you do it via YouTube? If so it’s really easy, just go to channel analytics and you can see there the views it’s had. 

1 minute ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Nope, One Drive...

Ahhh I haven absolutely

no experience with One Drive I’m afraid! (I didn’t with YouTube either until yesterday afternoon 😂) Hope you can manage to work out a way to see, or not, depending on which you’d rather! I love to stress over stuff like this and it’s ridiculous really haha.

• Like 1