Michael Clark exhibition at the Barbican, 2020-2021 - and in Dundee 2022

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that this Michael Clark retrospective at the Barbican Art Gallery, EC1 is well worth a visit for those dance lovers looking to get out & about. I was thrilled by the amount of video of his early works from the 1980s & just how daring his pieces were in terms of design, music as well as his choreography (you can also easily see his wonderful Cecchetti RBS training) & how beautifully it sits on his own gorgeous body as well as on other dancers. So much of his work also has a wicked sense of humour- one of his solo pieces was to 5 bass & electric guitars playing Black Sabbath riffs & he looked awesome. There is a very informative free leaflet available at the desk detailing some of his collaborators (& it's very much a who's who of the arts scene from the 1980's onwards including Grayson Perry(!). I was also struck by how generously funded dance used to be; I cannot think of a current contemporary choreographer who would be able to mount work on the same scale today with sizeable live music & costumes other than black tights. Sigh.

The £35 catalogue is also one of the best examples I have ever seen with almost every picture in colour & is a real collectible.  Both exhibition & catalogue are highly recommended!

Tickets are £15 & are strictly timed entrance. I arrived at 11am for 11.30am & was gently turned away to find an outdoor seat until 11.15am (found a bench out of the rain & enjoyed the cappucino I had bought at the Barbican station). There is little to no seating in the centre itself, but ironically you can sit socially distanced in the exhibition to watch the videos(!)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thanks for bumping this Mandy.

The reviews have all made this exhibition sound absolutely fascinating and I would love to go but, sadly, I won't be travelling to London in the near future.

It's also due at the V&A in Dundee in October 2021...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18706669.michael-clark-cosmic-dancer-exhibition-come-v-dundee/

• 1 year later...

Sadly, I wasn't able to go and see this due to the new Covid lockdown being imposed, but the exhibition has now transferred to Dundee and is on from 5th March to 4th September 2022.

Edit: I finally found a link, by Googling - couldn't navigate to anything on the V&A website by searching on there!

V&A Dundee · Michael Clark: Cosmic Dancer (vam.ac.uk)

• alison changed the title to Michael Clark exhibition at the Barbican, 2020-2021 - and in Dundee 2022