Vocational School - how many hours?

taxi4ballet

Hammond do around 15 hours per week during the week mixed in with regular academic classes for years 10 and 11.

They also have choir and some limited drama work during the week too.

Weekends dance is Saturday morning for 3 hours for RAD (girls) and Cechetti (???) for the boys.

They are also expected to use weekends for rehersals as necessary.

T

DS (in Yr 11 UK, Grade 10 USA) does about 3.5 hours during the 5 weekdays (sandwiched inbetween 2 sets of academic classes) then 1 hr partnering class early evening 2-3 x a week, plus all sat morning. So in total about 24-25 hours a week. In the run up to a show they seem to rehearse every night and voluntarily every sat afternoon and most of sunday (though it isn't scheduled, they are simply obsessed!!). They finish academic classes 2 weeks before the end of term and do ballet all day- this either leads up to the performance (Xmas and summer) or ballet exams (easter).

but this is USA so perhaps you were only interested in UK schedules?

Central School of Ballet

Year 1 & 2 Boys.

They have 6 lessons a week for Classical Ballet (Monday to Saturday), 3 lessons a week for Contemporary, 2 lessons a week for Pas de Deux. Plus Pilates.

Year 1 have Spanish, Drama and Singing. Year 2 have Jazz Dance & Choreography. I'm sure there are other things covered.

Day starts for DS at 8.45am but has to be warmed up before lessons start so trys to be there by 7.45am and finishes during the week between 4.30pm-5.30pm or later. In Year 2 he finishes twice a week nearer to 6.30pm-7pm.

Plus any AS/A levels studied are worked in around all the dance lessons, evenings or Saturday. AS/A levels offered are English, French, Art and Dance.

My son noticed a huge difference going up to sixth form. Haven't commented on his hours in years 10 and 11 as my memory's shocking and it's probably changed by now, but I think probably a 2 hour ballet class every day plus I thing hour and a half roughly if some other dance style/virtuosity etc with a folk day of academics mixed in there too (not quite as many hours as local school but I think only one lesson a day less)

Elmhurst Y8 girls 4- 6 (45minute) dance sessions daily Monday to Friday and RAD ballet class on Sat am which is optional.- 1& 1/2 hours of ballet class daily and a variety of pointe ,choreography, tap ,jazz dance styles and dance studies.Total weekday scheduled dance classes -16.5hours .and 18.5 hours of academics not including prep time.

YDA year 10: 1and a half hours mon tues wed and thurs. then another 1 and a half hours in the evening of each of those days. The middle of each days is taken up with academics. Thats 12 hours during the week. Saturdays she has 2 hours Ballet and 3 hours SAs. If she wasn't an SA she would continue at school on Saturday with tap and singing. Sunday's are rehearsals especially in winter term because of nutcracker. Is pretty full on, about 17 hours a week not including rehearsals.

This is fascinating - at the moment DD is at full-time academic school and dances evenings and weekends.

I have worked out that she would only get 2-3 hours more dancing a week if she were to go to vocational school, and the academic work would reduce by 50%! She would also be able to take fewer GCSE's.

Mind you, I would spend a heck of a lot less on petrol!

• Like 4

At Tring in 6th form DD found she was actually getting fewer ballet hours than she had in Yr 11 when she was at full time academic school and dancing evenings and weekends like taxi4ballet's DD. There were more dancing hours made up of contemporary, jazz, & tap, but she was not interested in the latter two. Information we were given at the auditions did not make this eventuality clear.

Pas de Quatre, yes I'm thinking particularly of ballet, as dd currently does about 14 hours a week with a couple of modern and contemporary classes on top.

I'm wondering whether it's worth her going if she would get less ballet than she does now. Ah well, if she doesn't get in, at least she won't be falling behind the full-timers!

Pas de Quatre, yes I'm thinking particularly of ballet, as dd currently does about 14 hours a week with a couple of modern and contemporary classes on top.

I'm wondering whether it's worth her going if she would get less ballet than she does now. Ah well, if she doesn't get in, at least she won't be falling behind the full-timers!

Gosh sounds like your daughter is doing more than the average Taxi4ballet!! Given they usually have more performance opportunities at home - you may have a tricky decision to make :-)

Also depends on the quality of the ballet training you can get locally I suppose. My son would've struggled to find boys classes for a start, and if my daughter had wanted to go down a ballet route she would probably only have been able to have about 4 hours a week - maybe 6 - locally, plus an associate Saturday class - and the local training wouldn't have been anywhere near the quality of teaching my son had at vocational school.

• Like 1

Out of interest Lildancer96 how does it all work now. I heard they have the top classical set made up of MDS students only and then a lower classical set made up of dadas and other students. It gets so confusing with Tring and of course I hope that students now get told which set (sets used to consitst of classical sets of varying levels and opportunities, and then jazz and contemporary) they will go into before they actually start in the September as that can be very upsetting especially if you have turned away other offers of schools.

Hi primrose .

There are 2 classical sets - the top one is made up of mainly 6.3 but others occasionally get to join. There are students in both on mds and dada - I don't think anyone without funding is in the classical sets but I may be wrong.

There are plenty of students with dada who are not in the classical sets.

We were not told before sept whether you would be classical set or not - so I guess it is a bit of a gamble for those who really only want a classical career.

Lil

I am so pleased that your dd is very happy and enjoying her time at Tring. I was lead to believe by my friend whos dd is in year 6.1 that all the students who retained their MDS in year 11 were all in the top classical set, which only consisted of MDS students. Her dd has come right through the school and I think is in your dds set. She loves Tring and likes the fact that she is experiencing more dance styles this year.

Gosh sounds like your daughter is doing more than the average Taxi4ballet!! Given they usually have more performance opportunities at home - you may have a tricky decision to make :-)

Well, she knows she'll have to be incredibly fortunate if she gets offered anything at all for year 10 entry anyway, as there are so few places available (let alone ones with funding), but if she is one of the few lucky ones, the decision will be hers!

• 3 months later...

We could do with some Elmhurst and RBS parents to tell us about the lower school days. Where are you all?

Hi, this may have already been answered?

3 - 4 1/2 hours a day ballet/conditioning plus RAD on saturdays. 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours academics mon - fri (plus 2 individual music lessons per week) plus 3 evening prep sessions per week. up at 6.30 am ,classes start at 8.40 am and finish after 6 pm. That's for yr 7 at Elmhurst. The evenings when there is no prep there are rehersal classes going on.  (Rather them than me!!!)