Rule of 6

Ballerinamum

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

First years usually head to Uni this weekend but most don’t start until first weekend in October!! 

Not everywhere. At my place, I've just completed my first week of teaching. Scottish universities often start in mid-September. And we could have looked across the Atlantic to see what happened in late August/early September when American colleges re-opened.

• Like 1

The halls my Dd was offered allowed moving in any time from the beginning of September (without any extra costs) although her start date would have been this Monday. Their thinking was any international students could do the 14 days quarantine if required before the course started and U.K. students wouldn’t all arrive on same day causing crowds of people in corridors and stairways. 
If students did take up this offer I should imagine they have been mixing socially before term starts. 

26 minutes ago, Jane said:

The halls my Dd was offered allowed moving in any time from the beginning of September (without any extra costs) although her start date would have been this Monday. Their thinking was any international students could do the 14 days quarantine if required before the course started and U.K. students wouldn’t all arrive on same day causing crowds of people in corridors and stairways. 
If students did take up this offer I should imagine they have been mixing socially before term starts. 

My DD who has started at London School of Contemporary Dance has had to go into student halls as she is under 18 and on arriving was told that she can social distance and wear a mask “if she wants”.  She did “want” but not one other student has even attempted to social distance and no masks in communal areas and she has been made fun off for trying to social distance/wear a mask 😔🤷‍♀️ I feel anytime soon she will not be able to attend the very minimal face to face classes all because other students can’t seem to understand the risk/impact. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tutusrus said:

My DD who has started at London School of Contemporary Dance has had to go into student halls as she is under 18 and on arriving was told that she can social distance and wear a mask “if she wants”.  She did “want” but not one other student has even attempted to social distance and no masks in communal areas and she has been made fun off for trying to social distance/wear a mask 😔🤷‍♀️ I feel anytime soon she will not be able to attend the very minimal face to face classes all because other students can’t seem to understand the risk/impact. 

That’s a very stressful situation your Dd is in. Did her school recommend the halls? Would the student support step up and speak to the halls? 

I did look on the LSCD website and couldn’t find anything regarding a covid policy. 

• Like 1

Yes isn’t there somebody responsible for these halls of residence ....I suppose where policy is concerned I would assume it would be LSCD responsible for it but there should at least be advisory notices around the place it seems a bit remiss. 

8 hours ago, Jane said:

That’s a very stressful situation your Dd is in. Did her school recommend the halls? Would the student support step up and speak to the halls? 

I did look on the LSCD website and couldn’t find anything regarding a covid policy. 

Yes they recommended (only very few that allow under 18’s) LCDS have great COVID19 rules in place (probably very over cautious compared to some dance institutions) very very small

class sizes and must wear a mask to dance in. No travelling work etc so can’t complain.  It’s the student halls that don’t have any rules but as the only student from LCDS there so don’t think they will have much say.  If you test positive you “must ensure you wipe down the kitchen after you have used it” is the only rule I have seen. Doesn’t feel quite right to be allowing positive cases to use communal areas but not sure there is an alternative option. People have to eat. Each Kitchen is shared by 14 people 😔

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes isn’t there somebody responsible for these halls of residence ....I suppose where policy is concerned I would assume it would be LSCD responsible for it but there should at least be advisory notices around the place it seems a bit remiss. 

LSCD have brilliant COVID rules in place tbh.  It’s the student halls (independent of LSCD) that has issues   

It does sound a bit of a difficult scenario but you say the Halls of Residence aren’t just for LSCD students so maybe more difficult to monitor! 
Just thinking back to student days there were initially two to a room with Eight Rooms on corridor so would have been 16 sharing a kitchen 😱 very glad we didn’t have Covid back then. 
I suppose unless a college can provide a quarantine area for positive cases it will be difficult. 
I don’t know whether students can be asked to go home to quarantine ( if no vulnerable people at home) though it seems the powers that be are keen to keep them where they are 

Hope it goes alright for your DD I’m sure she will love the course. 

• 1 month later...