Rule of 6

Ballerinamum

11 hours ago, Peony said:

From 24 September, organised indoor sport and indoor exercise classes can continue to take place with larger numbers present, provided groups of more than six do not mix. If groups of six are likely to mix, these indoor activities must not go ahead. There is an exemption or organised indoor team sports for disab

it depends what they mean by ‘mix’, which doesn’t seem to be defined🙄 I presume if you’re strictly distanced with markers or spaced yoga mats etc you’re not mixing??

I think this is why Bojo said indoor TEAM sports.  In team sports the groups larger than 6 have to mix unless it is 3 a side with rolling substitutions.  A pilates class or martial arts training can be organised so there is no interaction between participants.  

The professional organisation a local amateur company and lots of local dance schools have engaged to ensure their covid compliance have published this advice

Please find below clarification on the new 'rule of six' for adult classes below.
The following must now comply with the new 'rule of six'
- Adult (18+) Dance and Drama Classes
- Mixed Dance or Drama groups comprising of Under 18's and Over 18's
This does not mean you can not work with classes of more than 6, but that you must follow the new legal 'rule of six' which in itself has a number of exemptions assuming you are a COVID Secure business.
"From 24 September, organised indoor sport and indoor exercise classes can continue to take place with larger numbers present, provided groups of more than six do not mix. If groups of six are likely to mix, these indoor activities must not go ahead."
The new laws are very much focussed on social interaction and hold you legally accountable if you bring together a group of individuals in a venue who subsequently socially interact (be this on inspection or subsequently by Track and Trace). You can operate classes of more than 6 in line with guidance but would need to be confident that your systems and procedures are robust and that you maintain social distance and all other mitigation outlined in your Risk Assessment.
If you are in any doubt as to whether your adult groups can comply with the new law (and please remember you have legal responsibility for the ingress and egress to your venue too) then we would recommend reducing your class size to the maximum of 6. As an instructor, you are in addition to this number as you will comply with the above.
We hope this helps to clarify the latest guidance.
  • Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s the “ groups of six” ...groups with an “s” not mixing together which is confusing for dance classes. 
In theory this could mean ....if your space already allows it of course ....that it’s limited to 11 people as that’s one group of six plus 5 so not quite two groups of six lol!! 
Others think it means you can’t have more than six dancing diagonally across the room 🤔 

Our new studio is quite large but we’d never get a group of six dancing across and be able to socially distance properly anyway. 
Last week there were 11 dancers and we lined up all around the edges of the room and then went in socially distanced twos across and that seemed to work well. 

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

It’s the “ groups of six” ...groups with an “s” not mixing together which is confusing for dance classes. 
In theory this could mean ....if your space already allows it of course ....that it’s limited to 11 people as that’s one group of six plus 5 so not quite two groups of six lol!! 
Others think it means you can’t have more than six dancing diagonally across the room 🤔 

Our new studio is quite large but we’d never get a group of six dancing across and be able to socially distance properly anyway. 
Last week there were 11 dancers and we lined up all around the edges of the room and then went in socially distanced twos across and that seemed to work well. 

Were the group not split into two and going from alternate corners?  Gong in two's one after each other means everyone is dancing direct in the air slipstream.  Many studios are not allowing cornerwork for this reason as advised by Dance UK.  Most classes I have seen have had each participant given a designated space marked as a box on thre floor and they do not move out of that space through the whole session.

• Like 2

We have socially distanced markers on the floor for most of the class. 
We don’t have the boxes as many studios don’t in fact 

I can see the boxes would be good for children who find it more difficult to remain in their own space as it were but most adults can handle this reasonably well. 
Im not sure about the diagonal stuff which is only a small part of the class anyway but can ask teacher concerned. 
To be honest if you are worried about dancing in somebody else’s “ slipstream” it’s probably best not to go to a studio at all at the moment . Most studios  are not that big in the end!! 

Not going into a studio at all isn't really an option when a child is in full time training. Its all about airflow and extraction rates.  The science behind covid secure environments is vast and complicated.  Some organisations are far better informed than others.  

Studios can only be made as safe as possible and reduce risks as much as possible ... the risks will not be eliminated altogether and everybody choosing to go into a dance studio at the moment has to understand this it seems to me. 
Most younger people under 18 are not as at risk generally from Covid so should be okay to attend studios as long as operating under Government guidelines etc which I’m sure most Dance teachers are trying to rigorously follow. 
The new guidelines don’t affect under 18’s anyway it’s only adult ballet classes which are affected ... though not as much as first thought first thing this morning thank goodness. 
Where adults attending classes are concerned it’s up to them to decide whether the studio they are using is operating safely ....I’ve already taken issue with our new place as I think they got the numbers fora  ballet class wrong although everything else is very good. 
If you are using a gym they may not be aware of the particular needs of a ballet class ( in fact I wouldn’t expect them to be) it’s up to the teacher and individuals attending the class to check they’ve got it right. 
What may be right for a yoga class in terms of numbers may not be acceptable for a ballet class! 
Also although at the moment we can carry on ( now capped at 12) apparently where Leisure Centres and Gyms are concerned the local Council can overide the Gov regulations!! Which does seem strange to me but they can reduce numbers if they want to. 

Has anyone had any experience of drop in classes at Base Studios in London? They are advertising the fact that they have won an “award” for being the safest COVID19 studio in London, however, my dd attended a class last sunday that was packed and absolutely no opportunity to social distance.  How is this allowed? Would appreciate people’s thoughts (most attendees were over 18 and I’m sure no windows/fresh air) 

Certainly doesn’t sound like that particular class was operating safely!! 
There has to be a limit on numbers calculated on the Sq metre of the room size.  But am not sure whether some studios are allowing more if dancers are in masks 🤔
Was your daughter asked to wear a mask? 
Most  dance studios are allowing 2 or 3 metres distance between dancers. 

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

There has to be a limit on numbers calculated on the Sq metre of the room size.  But am not sure whether some studios are allowing more if dancers are in masks 🤔

No masks and approx 30 in a small ish studio in touching distance of each other. She won’t be going back but how can they get away with it? 

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

if you are working on an area per dancer then  it's the  area / volume that that limits  ( presumably based on a 2 or 2.5 m  square / hexagon  grid  ) 
some places are  restricting based on one sided linear  metres of  Barre space for ballet class   

masks and 1 + m are meant to be a revised  downwards figure where there is no practicable alternative ro 1+  and face coverings  , those professional companies who are insisting on face coverings and  using  same or larger  spacings  ( taking advantage of  their lovely big spaces)  may in restrospective end up being viewed  as  over reacting  , but  hindsight is always 20 /20

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NJH said:

masks and 1 + m are meant to be a revised  downwards figure where there is no practicable alternative ro 1+  and face coverings  , those professional companies who are insisting on face coverings and  using  same or larger  spacings  ( taking advantage of  their lovely big spaces)  may in restrospective end up being viewed  as  over reacting  , but  hindsight is always 20 /20

'Not disagreeing with you (at all) but those professional companies have so much more to lose. One dancer tests positive and the whole company could be shut down, jeopardizing their already very fragile comebacks.  No wonder they are being perhaps over cautious. 

27 minutes ago, NJH said:

if you are working on an area per dancer then  it's the  area / volume that that limits  ( presumably based on a 2 or 2.5 m  square / hexagon  grid  ) 
some places are  restricting based on one sided linear  metres of  Barre space for ballet class   

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

'Not disagreeing with you (at all) but those professional companies have so much more to lose. One dancer tests positive and the whole company could be shut down, jeopardizing their already very fragile comebacks.  No wonder they are being perhaps over cautious. 

As this dreadful pandemic continues I don't think we can be too cautious.  Yes, the pro company could be shut down BUT an individual in a studio catching C-19 is a disaster for the individual and anyone they may pass the virus on to.

Living in an area of the UK where cases seem to be sky-rocketing it bothers the life out of me that people are not being cautious enough!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Tutusrus said:

Has anyone had any experience of drop in classes at Base Studios in London? They are advertising the fact that they have won an “award” for being the safest COVID19 studio in London, however, my dd attended a class last sunday that was packed and absolutely no opportunity to social distance.  How is this allowed? Would appreciate people’s thoughts (most attendees were over 18 and I’m sure no windows/fresh air) 

Well that’s a worry especially as many young people at these sort of classes are high level dancers who are in effect adding an unnesseary risk element when they go back to their regular vocational schools/colleges/unis. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Yes, the pro company could be shut down BUT an individual in a studio catching C-19 is a disaster for the individual and anyone they may pass the virus on to.

Scientifically, maybe/maybe not. Large number of cases are reported to be asymptomatic although without testing everyone we don't know the actual extent. Agreed though transmission, especially from asymptomatic individuals,  could cause problems. Risk cannot be completely eliminated but as you point out reasonable precautions are necessary 😷 It's not going away. We are going to have to learn to live with it. 

Edited by oncnp

I do wonder also that a studio can be assessed as operating as Covid safe.... but often when individual teachers rent these spaces are they they then checked? Could well just be pack ‘em in as pay per class relies on high numbers for a teacher to gain viable income....and therein lies a huge industry issue.

My adult class was operating with around 12 but it still did feel risky (we are not spring chickens) so now reduced to 6 per week on a Rota so quite likely most will only get to dance 1 in 3 classes... but rather that than a full lockdown & no class or anyone getting ill.....

Is their actual financial help to keep dance teachers & studios ‘afloat’? I do worry for all 🙁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Scientifically, maybe/maybe not. Large number of cases are reported to be asymptomatic although without testing everyone we don't know the actual extent. Agreed though transmission, especially from asymptomatic individuals,  could cause problems. Risk cannot be completely eliminated but as you point out reasonable precautions are necessary 😷 It's not going away. We are going to have to learn to live with it. 

It is a disaster if, to paraphrase Matt Hancock, they go on to kill their grannies!!

I also know people younger than me who didn't have the virus hugely badly but who are now suffering terribly with post-viral syndrome.

• Like 7

If they were within touching distance without masks I think that’s unequivocally a breach of the guidelines, can you report them? Obviously there is an increased risk of transmission, but also it’s very unfair on all the studios who are complying and are operating at reduced profit as a result!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Agreed though transmission, especially from asymptomatic individuals,  could cause problems.

This is the point. My university town is experiencing a spike - a doubling in numbers of cases (albeit from a VERY low base). The cases are all attributable to university students, who were asymptomatic but brought the virus with them. My university is in a commercial partnership to test staff & students with symptoms, and the students are self-isolating.

But it shows how useless current national policy is around living with this virus: all students should have had to be tested before moving to university. And so on ... 

I'm teaching online because I'm just not prepared to take the risk to have my job lead to my illness, long-term effects, or death. And I don't trust our national government policies to keep me and my colleagues safe (and alive). They're a shambles.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 4

Given the choice I’m sure most people would choose to work from home at the moment. I feel incredibly sorry for these students who were encouraged to move into university accommodation even though they won’t be able to actually attend the university. And now we’re telling them not to go to pubs and not to go home for Christmas etc. Those rooms are pretty tiny, many have shared facilities and lets face it you don’t get to choose who you live with. Sounds absolutely awful to me. The universities have some sort of responsibility in this too. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Peony said:

Given the choice I’m sure most people would choose to work from home at the moment. I feel incredibly sorry for these students who were encouraged to move into university accommodation even though they won’t be able to actually attend the university. And now we’re telling them not to go to pubs and not to go home for Christmas etc. Those rooms are pretty tiny, many have shared facilities and lets face it you don’t get to choose who you live with. Sounds absolutely awful to me. The universities have some sort of responsibility in this too. 

It does look and sound absolutely grim. My Dd decided to defer her place much earlier in the summer as it was becoming obvious covid wasn’t going anywhere and increasingly the info about her course was that the majority would be taught online and no library access for undergrads and no in person societies. When she let some of her fellow students know that she wouldn’t be joining them this year she was shocked to discover the majority hadn’t researched what was and wasn’t going to be available at the university. 

• Like 3

Regards to Base studio I agree with Peony it looks to me as if that class was breaching guidelines. I’m just surprised some teachers would do this and if not careful apart from obvious endangering of health to students in their class they could get the whole studios closed down which would be annoying for others operating safely there.

what I don’t understand about the asymmetrical Uni students spreading Covid is that if they had no symptoms so weren’t tested how do people know it’s them spreading it 🤔 

I do feel sorry for Uni students at the moment it would be awful if literally stuck in  one room in shared corridor and kitchen etc 

for next three months!! 
As for Christmas surely a couple of negative tests in week before due to go home should allow them to visit families. Obviously if positive that’s different but there is no need for blanket bans as being suggested in some political circles. 
I think I would have deferred my place for a year if I could have done too. 

• Like 2

Many haven’t been allowed to defer and the a level palaver didn’t help with planning either I guess! 

it isn’t just uni students, numbers were increasing well before then across the country. However we do know that the conditions that students live in make them particularly susceptible to spread of diseases like meningitis. I’m not sure if Matt Hancock is planning some China-seque sealing of the doors?! 

The confusing thing to me is the increased rate of infections is based on positive test results but if you are asymptomatic and don’t even know you’ve got it you wouldn’t go for a test so where are all these sudden increased numbers coming from obviously not the students!! Many students haven’t even gone back yet. 
First years usually head to Uni this weekend but most don’t start until first weekend in October!! 
Are the press stirring things up again! 

Term dates seem to vary. Our local university started a week ago. 
I wonder if one person in your university household is symptomatic are they are then testing the others? 
A friend who was symptomatic was able to book a test for herself and 3 others of her 6 person household. Turned out her test was negative but one of her asymptotic children was positive. 

• Like 1