Rule of 6

Ballerinamum

My daughter has loved being back at dance.  Just read the rule of 6 applies to indoor sports too.  Such a shame as her ballet teacher will need to do some juggling/extra classes or zoom to accommodate this.

Completely understand and happy to follow all the rules.  Just feel for the teachers and pupils managing the changes.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I thought at first it was a double message as he had said earlier there would be extra “crackdowns” on places like gyms to see if Covid secure etc and could be fined or closed if not up to scratch ...so went phew!!! 

But then later mentioned this rule of six for indoor sports and thought oh no that means only six in a class but I think it does apply to indoor contact sports not things like yoga and dance as long as premises is operating under Gov guidelines 😊

• Like 2

The new government guidance says:

Organised dance and exercise classes can take place in groups of more than six, where a risk assessment has been carried out, but you should limit your social interaction with other participants. The relevant indoor sport facilities guidance or outdoor guidance must be followed for these activities. Organised Sport and Physical Activity events are allowed provided they follow guidance for the public on the phased return of outdoor sport and recreation in England.

• Like 1

But he did mention the number six in connection with indoor sports this morning which seemed to be a change from the original ruling on 6. 
I take it though that our Saturday ballet group can continue but that we had better not go for a coffee afterwards!!! 

• Like 1

To clarify ...I don’t know how to edit posts now...in classes you can easily keep to socially distancing rules but rehearsals where you are putting on a show may require closer inter reaction of those present whether amateur dramatics or dance shows etc. 
I hadn’t realised choirs were allowed to go back yet anyway ...a friend in Leicester (not the lockdown bit) was bemoaning the fact that neither of her two choirs had been given the okay to go back yet this Autumn. 

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

To clarify ...I don’t know how to edit posts now...in classes you can easily keep to socially distancing rules but rehearsals where you are putting on a show may require closer inter reaction of those present whether amateur dramatics or dance shows etc. 
I hadn’t realised choirs were allowed to go back yet anyway ...a friend in Leicester (not the lockdown bit) was bemoaning the fact that neither of her two choirs had been given the okay to go back yet this Autumn. 

I’m interested in what’s happening for adult ballet classes though which have gone back into the studio with “Covid secure” conditions in place. Can we carry on as worked out under the per sq metre rule or are we down to six per class now? 

I have been told now by someone with good authority that studios which have opened with proper Covid secure assessments made and are operating correctly under these conditions are okay to continue that’s yoga and ballet classes anyway. 
But only just found out B is addressing the nation at 8pm so whether there will be any more actual clarity then have no idea ...I suspect it will be more about rallying people to get behind him but hopefully some news of financial support for some. 

After reading these updated rules am now more confused again!  The dance classes bit does seem to say for under 18 ‘s though! 

In the next section ..in other venues ..

It firstly says groups can be larger if following Covid secure guidelines etc but then goes on to say ....confusingly in my view .. that in places like Leisure centres (doesn’t mention gyms specifically ) people shouldn’t mix in more than groups of six 🤔

whether it means in a more social sense or more organised sense not entirely sure. 

From 24 September, organised indoor sport and indoor exercise classes can continue to take place with larger numbers present, provided groups of more than six do not mix. If groups of six are likely to mix, these indoor activities must not go ahead. There is an exemption or organised indoor team sports for disab

it depends what they mean by ‘mix’, which doesn’t seem to be defined🙄 I presume if you’re strictly distanced with markers or spaced yoga mats etc you’re not mixing??

• Like 2

From the new online guidance about exceptions:

• exercise classes, organised outdoor sport or licensed outdoor physical activity, and supervised sporting activity (indoors or outdoors) for under-18s

I think this looks like children and teen dance classes will be fine, but it looks like adult ones will be limited to 6? And what about mixed classes with teens and adults? 

The section I quoted was for adults, so larger classes are not banned. The teacher would need to be sure that there will not be ‘mixing’ though including on arrival and after departure. So I guess if you meet or stand chatting afterwards and your teacher is aware of it, it could cause them a problem! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’m interested in what’s happening for adult ballet classes though which have gone back into the studio with “Covid secure” conditions in place. Can we carry on as worked out under the per sq metre rule or are we down to six per class now? 

carry on as not a contact sport  unless you are doing partnering 

20 minutes ago, DeveloppeD said:

I’m confused though, if indoor sports can still continue in larger groups then nothing has changed since the last announcement? Why say it extends to indoor sport if it actually doesn’t? 

it has stopped  indoor  sports such  as 5 a side football ,  touch rugby,.  full team basketball / netball  etc