Crohns and ballet

Janice

Hi all my dd is waiting on some test to confirm but the docs think she has Crohns. She has been able to do most of her classes taking breaks when needed and is coping with things really well. She would like to apply for the summer school at Elmhurst this year but I am

worried how she would cope being away for the

week and even if she stands a chance of being

offered a place. Also I have been wondering if it might affect her chances of full time training at 16 she turns 15 in May. Any help advice gratefully received. Thanks

Sorry to hear about your DD. We met last year at summer school and our DDs are friends via facebook so we knew she had been ill. My 1st piece of advice would be to wait for the diagnosis. I know from personal experience that these tests can throw up unexpected results and it may not be as bad as you fear. As for Elmhurst summer school, obviously it is a photo application summer school but assuming she gets in I am sure the school would attend to her dietary needs. It is more a case of knowing if there is any trigger for her condition flaring up, how she quickly she adapts to her diagnosis and how bad the Crohns is. Hopefully her condition will be mild and the flare-ups will be rare but only time will tell. My DD and I will be thinking of you.

• Like 1

You need to ask the doctors and consultant for advice on what they feel will be ok for your DD to do and whether she would be able to cope with training in the future. I am sure it will depend on the condition. We have a family member with Crohns and I do know it can take some management so follow advice.I think there is a good Crohns support group so you might try asking on their forum if there is one. Perhaps there might be someone who has been in a similar position with sports or dance training? Wishing you all the best.

Dd doctor has said she is ok to do as much as she feels able to do and to listen to her body. We are in the process if learning what she can't eat, but the main issue at the moment is that if we go out we gave to plan where the toilets are. It's good to know that Elmhurst are able and happy to work with any dietary requirements. I guess we are just feeling a bit frustrated about how long appointments are taking.

Do make sure you get a RADAR key that lets you use the locked loos and you can get a special card that would allow DD to skip the queue if she needs to (eg at the theatre if queues are long). Your GP should be able to help you find out about this. I don't know what the vocational schools are like with medical issues but I am sure it is something they would discuss thoroughly with you.