Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

12 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

That’s helpful as the emails two of us seem to have received are confusing, but I suppose it’s how we’ve phrased the question. 

Our photos are currently without socks so will leave them as they are. 

our photos are also without socks also, its confusing haha but I took it literally. bare legs and ballet shoes.. so that's what we did! 🙃

• Like 1
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, thank you to everybody for the sock info! Maybe the answer is to do one foot on, one foot off! 🤣 

Or more likely, it's reassuring that it sounds that actually it doesn't really matter one way or the other and I should just take a deep breath and relax about it!

@Crazylifecrazykids best of luck to you and your daughter for the video submission. It's difficult for everyone - parents who have to learn how to do the technical side of things as well as the poor children trying to show what they can do in such an artificial context. At least everyone applying will be in the same position. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Oh my goodness @Crazylifecrazykids  what do you need to do in the video? Is that because they’re not holding normal prelims due to Covid? 

I’m glad we’ve got another year before we worry about that! Good luck. 

Yeah this is a new thing for the Mids auditions, which are also the prelims for W/L so the video is 20 mins barre, centre and stretch. I think it's a brilliant idea because come live audition time it may not go ahead, or if there are local lockdowns and my child can't attend as a result or any other child who maybe isolating, then they have these to hand but... its a pressure for me to get it right, take the video well and upload it ok.... it's that, that terrifies me 🤪😂😂

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, GabrielleDeV said:

Ooh, thank you to everybody for the sock info! Maybe the answer is to do one foot on, one foot off! 🤣 

Or more likely, it's reassuring that it sounds that actually it doesn't really matter one way or the other and I should just take a deep breath and relax about it!

@Crazylifecrazykids best of luck to you and your daughter for the video submission. It's difficult for everyone - parents who have to learn how to do the technical side of things as well as the poor children trying to show what they can do in such an artificial context. At least everyone applying will be in the same position. Fingers crossed!

Thanks, yep I definitely find all this technology difficult 🤪 I quite like the idea of take her, drop her and pick her up process! 😂 but it's brilliant they are thinking about a back up too x

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Yeah this is a new thing for the Mids auditions, which are also the prelims for W/L so the video is 20 mins barre, centre and stretch. I think it's a brilliant idea because come live audition time it may not go ahead, or if there are local lockdowns and my child can't attend as a result or any other child who maybe isolating, then they have these to hand but... its a pressure for me to get it right, take the video well and upload it ok.... it's that, that terrifies me 🤪😂😂

Hello. We havent applied yet...but just wondered how you knew about the video and whether it is like the JA one where you're sent the video link separately before audition? X 

2 hours ago, Raquelle said:

Hello. We havent applied yet...but just wondered how you knew about the video and whether it is like the JA one where you're sent the video link separately before audition? X 

The video requirements for MA and full time are on the website... it's not the same as JAs if you see what i mean? There is a date for the MA/ prelim audition and the video is a back up should they not take place. Its been a different process for JAs this year (from what I read on here) due to lockdown.. hope that makes sense lol... i think it's great we are having videos as a back up plan, it's just my technology skills that are in question! 😆 x

1 hour ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

The video requirements for MA and full time are on the website... it's not the same as JAs if you see what i mean? There is a date for the MA/ prelim audition and the video is a back up should they not take place. Its been a different process for JAs this year (from what I read on here) due to lockdown.. hope that makes sense lol... i think it's great we are having videos as a back up plan, it's just my technology skills that are in question! 😆 x

Thanks crazylife! We did the JA video for year 6 so was wondering if this was similar. Ill have a look on the website. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SJBallet said:

That was before they extended the closing deadline though wasn’t it. Do you think that will make the results later?

I didn’t send the application in until the last minute of the extended deadline (organised as ever 🤣!) and that’s what my e mail said. 

1 hour ago, Darkbeans said:

I didn’t send the application in until the last minute of the extended deadline (organised as ever 🤣!) and that’s what my e mail said. 

Ooh fingers crossed then. That’s only 16 days 😁. Not that I’m expecting to receive a    yes 😂

I’ve just seen that the Hong Kong spring intensive has been postponed until 2022. 

Had people been notified about places for the HK one?

I’m just wondering if they had and if that means they’ll get the spring places instead so there’s an even smaller chance?

As the date for notification gets nearer I’m going through every possible scenario to see whether DD has any chance at all! My gut feeling is that it will be a no but I can’t help but think ‘what if!’

2 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I’ve just seen that the Hong Kong spring intensive has been postponed until 2022. 

Had people been notified about places for the HK one?

I’m just wondering if they had and if that means they’ll get the spring places instead so there’s an even smaller chance?

As the date for notification gets nearer I’m going through every possible scenario to see whether DD has any chance at all! My gut feeling is that it will be a no but I can’t help but think ‘what if!’

I hadn't seen about the Hong Kong, so I don't know if it will affect the London spring one, London closing date was extended.

I'm trying to forget about it 🤣🤣 because its more than likely a no, luckily the MA/WL and Tring videos are keeping me busy...im too old for all this, technology stuff! 😂😂 x

Hong Kong- Those who had places 2020 were offered a guaranteed place for 2021 but have been informed that the places cannot be carried forward two years.

They've offered free application fees to those who apply in 2022... 

Not sure whether they've simply offered the same for those who have already applied

2 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

Hong Kong- Those who had places 2020 were offered a guaranteed place for 2021 but have been informed that the places cannot be carried forward two years.

They've offered free application fees to those who apply in 2022... 

Not sure whether they've simply offered the same for those who have already applied

Aww @HopelessMummywas your DD/DS supposed to be going to Hong Kong?

As much as I was hoping it wouldn’t reduce the slim chance for London spring intensive even further I’m sorry for the kids that got into 2020 and after all this will have to reapply. 

Does anyone have any idea how they select? Surely photos alone doesn’t narrow it down enough? Is it children they don’t have in eg associate classes so they can watch them for longer? Or children they already know so they can get more training? It seems like a total lottery: I’ve heard of children not getting in and getting a spot at WL a few months later (and vice versa!). 

@Whiteduvet I’ve considered the following:

*photos

*children that don’t require funding so more  money for RBS

*children that do a reasonable amount of dancing so could cope with the days

*those that have indicated they want full time training 

*I can’t decide whether being a current JA is a positive or not. 

I’m sure there’s more but I can’t think what they are just now, these are just from the questions on the application. 

But even after thinking about all of the above I still think it’s a lottery 😁

My feeling is being known to them i.e., being JA or MA is an advantage, but speaking purely from our not so successful experience being only 3 times SWL for London JA and getting SWL last year for both spring and summer. This year we applied just to gauge what might be her chance for MA and WL and if we even try to apply (considering delayed deadline). I guess no hope here, so expect no this time as much more talented and experienced children applied and would deserve a place. 

• Like 3

That must be so frustrating @Mum of unicorn dancer SWL 5 times! There must be something there, surely it’s got to turn into a yes soon? 

I told myself I wouldn’t worry about it but I know how much DD wants to go to WL and I just think even if she could live the dream for a week! 

We’ve got until next year for full time applications so plenty of time to have another go but I still doesn’t stem the hope! 

• Like 2

I've always wondered how they choose too. DD got a straight no for Summer last year and was too young for spring...DD is a JA, so I don't think it plays an advantage or disadvantage...but I don't know 🤣

I guess they can't take many...we aren't expecting a yes but to be within even a chance we have to apply, so thats how we see it, got to be in it to win it so to speak.

I think it's harder for us, all this waiting and wondering than it is for our DCs. When I applied I didn't tell DD when results were due out lol

Good luck everyone xx

• Like 1

Think we can see those five SWL & raise you! I estimate over JA’s/MA’s/SA’s/ADA’s/Spring & Summer WL intensives & CG Summer intensive.... there has probably been around 4 No’s, 7 Wait Lists (called various things....never understood if all lists are equal? Been called over the years Short Wait List/Select Wait List/Directors Wait List....who knows??? So much to speculate....think perhaps that’s their little game???!!!) and 2 Yes’s!! 

Worth it all? Always view it as a bit of a lottery & auditions as a chance to dance in hallowed Royal studios so worth it for that alone! 

Over the so many years, the too many photo taking tantrums (that’s from me as much as the DD!!), the how many times before applications upload correctly nightmares & of course the I dread to think how many hundreds of pounds spent (???😱😱) spent - so much just for those photos to be looked at & decided from....plus the costs where actual auditions were attended.....

Think many of us in here dare not cost out time/funds spent supporting our young dancers.....but expect most of us don’t regret it & would do it all again (many of you do of course witg more than one dancer in family or with supporting other talents!!!

Goid luck all! 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Think we can see those five SWL & raise you! I estimate over JA’s/MA’s/SA’s/ADA’s/Spring & Summer WL intensives & CG Summer intensive.... there has probably been around 4 No’s, 7 Wait Lists (called various things....never understood if all lists are equal? Been called over the years Short Wait List/Select Wait List/Directors Wait List....who knows??? So much to speculate....think perhaps that’s their little game???!!!) and 2 Yes’s!! 

Worth it all? Always view it as a bit of a lottery & auditions as a chance to dance in hallowed Royal studios so worth it for that alone! 

Over the so many years, the too many photo taking tantrums (that’s from me as much as the DD!!), the how many times before applications upload correctly nightmares & of course the I dread to think how many hundreds of pounds spent (???😱😱) spent - so much just for those photos to be looked at & decided from....plus the costs where actual auditions were attended.....

Think many of us in here dare not cost out time/funds spent supporting our young dancers.....but expect most of us don’t regret it & would do it all again (many of you do of course witg more than one dancer in family or with supporting other talents!!!

Goid luck all! 

Well said! We are currently looking at DDs video for MA/WL, which means moving the house around... checking flooring and lighting, etc, etc, etc and yet we know how minute the chances are BUT with such a passionate, committed and hard working DD how could we not let her try? 🥰

• Like 1

DC was a WL for JAs, no for WL finals and WL for MAs at the same time as getting Yeses for Summer and Spring Intensives.  Then WL for Spring and Summer the same year as a Yes for SAs.  No-one can second guess Royal not even their own teachers, from I was told.  This year we can't make the Spring dates due to an important family event and I doubt I can afford two weeks in the summer so we will never know if being an associate would make any difference to an Intensives place.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Goid luck all! 

Thank you. It is a journey and at the end of the day it is a love to dance and enjoyment to perform in our case. Obviously, it would be great to had an opportunity to train and practice with the best. Maybe one day...

Good luck everyone. Keep 🤞

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SJBallet said:

That must be so frustrating @Mum of unicorn dancer SWL 5 times! There must be something there, surely it’s got to turn into a yes soon? 

I told myself I wouldn’t worry about it but I know how much DD wants to go to WL and I just think even if she could live the dream for a week! 

We’ve got until next year for full time applications so plenty of time to have another go but I still doesn’t stem the hope! 

Thank you and good luck to your DD. 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)