Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, 

Some testing questions if anyone can assist.  We will be an international arrival that currently is subject to Amber arrival rules.  Does anyone know if testing centers are generally open during the weekend?  If our day 5 is on a Saturday or Sunday, what are the chances of actually getting an appointment for those days?  I have tried to research the options but the testing sites are a maze of crazy prices and very little information.

11 minutes ago, Ballet2101 said:

Hi everyone, 

Some testing questions if anyone can assist.  We will be an international arrival that currently is subject to Amber arrival rules.  Does anyone know if testing centers are generally open during the weekend?  If our day 5 is on a Saturday or Sunday, what are the chances of actually getting an appointment for those days?  I have tried to research the options but the testing sites are a maze of crazy prices and very little information.

We are in the same boat :) But yes, testing centers are opened during weekends. Last time we tested in City airport for release 

1 hour ago, Asta said:

We are in the same boat :) But yes, testing centers are opened during weekends. Last time we tested in City airport for release 

From what I gather we should be looking for an "at-home" day 2/8 which allows our DD to receive her day 8 test while at while lodge and a rapid (expensive) day 5 for release. Can you mix and match testing providers? Or do all test need to be provided by the same testing firm?

5 hours ago, Ballet2101 said:

Does anyone know if testing centers are generally open during the weekend?  If our day 5 is on a Saturday or Sunday, what are the chances of actually getting an appointment for those days?  I have tried to research the options but the testing sites are a maze of crazy prices and very little information.

There are several clinics in Central London. From UK govt website I have found:

1rapidclinics in marylebone 134pounds for day 2&8, plus 94pounds day 5.  Expresstest is at Heathrow and also Paddington station, 139pounds day 2&8, not sure about day 5, Biogroup-Lab in Marleybone and Fitzrovia, 225 pounds for Day 2, 5, &8.  there are more options, but get more expensive.  All of the above take weekend appts.  Turnaround time varies but I think mostly 24 hours for day 5.  Mail in options are cheaper, but don't work very well if you are not staying with family or your hotel doesn't accept mail for you...

6 hours ago, MPatti said:

There are several clinics in Central London. From UK govt website I have found:

1rapidclinics in marylebone 134pounds for day 2&8, plus 94pounds day 5.  Expresstest is at Heathrow and also Paddington station, 139pounds day 2&8, not sure about day 5, Biogroup-Lab in Marleybone and Fitzrovia, 225 pounds for Day 2, 5, &8.  there are more options, but get more expensive.  All of the above take weekend appts.  Turnaround time varies but I think mostly 24 hours for day 5.  Mail in options are cheaper, but don't work very well if you are not staying with family or your hotel doesn't accept mail for you...

Thanks for this.  I’m happy to hear that you can book the appointment on a weekend.  Seems the turnaround time and associated cost is the key issue. 

• Like 1

We have the same issue (my daughter is in blue group). Having already been through this last month when visiting the UK and based on some of the questions orhers have asked:

1. The provider for day 5 can be different for days 2/8. I used different providers last time and it seems common. People use one of the cheaper and longer mail in providers for days 2 &8 and quicker in clinic test for day 5. Both times (before and the trip coming up) I checked with the hotel and it was fine for the test kits to be sent to them even if they arrive a few days before checkin. The hotels are getting used to accomodating quarantined clients. 

2. Issue in day 5 is turnaround time. If you need it quick ie day 5 is Sat or Sun then the mail providers don’t work as 48 hours to the reply. Even the in clinic tests with same day are results by midnight OR crazy prices like GBP 500 each for 3 hours result. However, after a lot of research I found one provider on the UK gov website Londoncovidtesting in Victoria which does an express day 5 test for GBP 185 and results in 3-4 hours. I spoke with them and checked some reviews and have booked. They open from 10 so results by 1-2pm. However, I never used them before (I was elsewhere in UK on my last trip), so this is based just on research.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BalletActive said:

We have the same issue (my daughter is in blue group). Having already been through this last month when visiting the UK and based on some of the questions orhers have asked:

1. The provider for day 5 can be different for days 2/8. I used different providers last time and it seems common. People use one of the cheaper and longer mail in providers for days 2 &8 and quicker in clinic test for day 5. Both times (before and the trip coming up) I checked with the hotel and it was fine for the test kits to be sent to them even if they arrive a few days before checkin. The hotels are getting used to accomodating quarantined clients. 

2. Issue in day 5 is turnaround time. If you need it quick ie day 5 is Sat or Sun then the mail providers don’t work as 48 hours to the reply. Even the in clinic tests with same day are results by midnight OR crazy prices like GBP 500 each for 3 hours result. However, after a lot of research I found one provider on the UK gov website Londoncovidtesting in Victoria which does an express day 5 test for GBP 185 and results in 3-4 hours. I spoke with them and checked some reviews and have booked. They open from 10 so results by 1-2pm. However, I never used them before (I was elsewhere in UK on my last trip), so this is based just on research.

Great info.  Thanks for confirming that the providers/tests can be separated to lower the cost.  Please let us know how the experience with Londocoivdtesting works out!

I've just calculated that my fully vax'ed DD will have a total of 6 tests for this trip.  Thank goodness 2 of those are free, as the other 4 combined are more than the cost of my first car.

• Like 3

I also found the review website trustpilot somewhat helpful in seeing whether the experiences of past travelers is what these websites promise. Based on that I would not use Rapidtesting, which I mentioned in my post above.  

Thank you for the info BalletActive!  Trying to get these booked shortly.  

My goodness....I am gob smacked at parental dedication & willingness to dig deep in those already fleeced pockets to pay fur these required tests to facilitate their youngsters attending RBS summer courses....not sure I’d be coughing (sorry, bad choice of words??) up for that if from overseas. Funny thing is the one year when I dare say waitlist candidates may just get the call, I don’t have a hopeful DC as RBS just isn’t the hallowed dream anymore. So first year in many not constantly checking email hoping for a place off the waitlist they seemed annually placed on...I’ve not thrown  away literally hundreds of pounds in application/audition fees for intensives/associates/ full time etc...

I feel rather flush & gosh, the agony & agro & time saved by not having to get photos & fill in erratic online forms! 

Freedom!

I do wish all who still have ‘the Royal dream’ every success & for those who get to live it - enjoy! The reality didn’t live up to the dream for my dancer sadly....though I did love being a ‘Royal Mum’ just the once at parent  viewing after intensive!!! 

So, the Q I feel I must ask myself is, just who’s dream was it really 🤔🤔🤔

Live & learn 😂

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 3

On 29/06/2021 at 14:16, TLMatl317 said:

Yes my daughter will be attending both programs 1 and 2. She is in the blue group. We are from the US. Where are you from?

My DS will be attending program 2.  We are from the US and he will be also attending ENBS course 1. 

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone’s DD or DS attend last week’s Week 2 RBS summer intensive? My DD was there and i am waiting to see the demonstration/ performance…it is due to be emailed to us. Does anyone know how long or when you think this will be? Wish they gave feedback after the course too! 

1 hour ago, Newbie2 said:

Did anyone’s DD or DS attend last week’s Week 2 RBS summer intensive? My DD was there and i am waiting to see the demonstration/ performance…it is due to be emailed to us. Does anyone know how long or when you think this will be? Wish they gave feedback after the course too! 

My dd was week 1 and we haven’t received the video yet. Maybe they will wait until all weeks have been completed and then edit them all at once? I’m really looking forward to seeing it 😁x

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cheshiredancemum said:

My dd was week 1 and we haven’t received the video yet. Maybe they will wait until all weeks have been completed and then edit them all at once? I’m really looking forward to seeing it 😁x

At the Easter Intensive this year, it arrived about a month after x

• Like 2