Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

6 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

I agree. We are also a fellow wait lister (I think we were week 3), it’s very exciting to hear of others getting places, especially when it’s a child of the same age (ie the youngest group) and does keep hopes up 😁

Thanks both - I agree it’s really nice to hear of people getting in from the wait list and I think - for us anyway - it’s really important to be open about it, as we were proud of DD for getting onto the wait list in the first place even if nothing had come of it (as I’m sure everyone is). 

I really hope more places become available 🙂 

• Like 3

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Waverley said:

Thanks both - I agree it’s really nice to hear of people getting in from the wait list and I think - for us anyway - it’s really important to be open about it, as we were proud of DD for getting onto the wait list in the first place even if nothing had come of it (as I’m sure everyone is). 

I really hope more places become available 🙂 

Depending on the next government announcement, its not impossible that more spaces might be offered.  If I understand correctly, numbers are still limited this year as its residential-only, where as in the past I was under the impression it was open to both residential and day students.  Even if all restrictions are lifted, they might decide to 'play safe' and keep it residential-only, but regardless of what happens, its really positive and inspiring to see wait-list places turning into actual opportunities :)

• Like 3

I think the government's announcements will be game-changer whatever's said. If it's positive, then day places may open up and if it's negative, then foreign students may not be able to travel, opening up more spaces for UK Waiting Listers!

2 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Depending on the next government announcement, its not impossible that more spaces might be offered.  If I understand correctly, numbers are still limited this year as its residential-only, where as in the past I was under the impression it was open to both residential and day students.  Even if all restrictions are lifted, they might decide to 'play safe' and keep it residential-only, but regardless of what happens, its really positive and inspiring to see wait-list places turning into actual opportunities :)

In previous years there have been  very few day students attending but yes it may open out even a few more places.

• Like 1

Just a practical query for anyone who attended spring intensives.... what covid testing was required for attendance? If they (inevitably) push back the lifting of covid restrictions from 21st June to at least the 20th July, the first week register on the 18th July to start on the 19th. Will any paid for testing be required? 

5 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Just a practical query for anyone who attended spring intensives.... what covid testing was required for attendance? If they (inevitably) push back the lifting of covid restrictions from 21st June to at least the 20th July, the first week register on the 18th July to start on the 19th. Will any paid for testing be required? 

A PCR test before attending and they then they did one lateral flow on arrival whilst waiting in the car and then one midweek. 

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

A PCR test before attending and they then they did one lateral flow on arrival whilst waiting in the car and then one midweek. 

I paid for the PCR (way too much) as I was also worried about the time frame (initially they needed to be done no less than 72 hours prior to arrival and it was Easter weekend, then they changed to 5 days).   The only way to get an NHS PCR test was to say the child has symptoms. They might just go with lateral flow tests this time for Students based in the UK. We might know more next week?

Just now, Lara Eschler said:

I paid for the PCR (way too much) as I was also worried about the time frame (initially they needed to be done no less than 72 hours prior to arrival and it was Easter weekend, then they changed to 5 days).   The only way to get an NHS PCR test was to say the child has symptoms. They might just go with lateral flow tests this time for Students based in the UK. We might know more next week?

I meant no more than 72 hours. 

19 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

I hope PCR tests are a little cheaper now. It’s my DS’s 10th birthday the day before they go on the Sunday. He will be super annoyed if his main birthday present is a PCR test 😂 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I hope PCR tests are a little cheaper now. It’s my DS’s 10th birthday the day before they go on the Sunday. He will be super annoyed if his main birthday present is a PCR test 😂 

It's my sons 10th birthday the day he goes on week 3 he is ecstatic about spending his birthday night there!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Can you imagine😂

I was looking at PCR tests a few weeks ago, the cheapest I could find was £58 although availability and location do seem to vary quite a lot. There is a list of approved providers on the government website. If you need any help when you know exactly what’s required, I’m happy to pm you my findings. 

• Like 2

For those on the various waiting lists (and apologies for boring everyone else) does anyone else think this might be a hopeful sign?

BBC reporting that despite the delay to removing legal limits on group sizes/social distancing etc, there are some changes being brought in from 21 June including the following:

• Children can go on overnight trips in groups of 30 with, for example, the Scouts or Guides, or as part of summer residential schools

So possibly group sizes might be able to be larger, and open up more places?

🤞

Edited by GabrielleDeV
clarity
  • Like 2

Hello all,

Our DD-12 is looking forward to attending week 2 of the summer program.  As this is our first RBS experience and being an international student, we were trying to get a better understanding of how the week typically goes.  This is her 1st time boarding so she is looking forward to attending and making new friends.  We are assuming that the rooms are arranged 4 kids per room, is this the norm?  Also, what does a typical day of dance look like?  Is there placement done the first day or is every one grouped together?  What types of activities do the kids participate in addition to dancing?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LAJ01 said:

We have a YES!  Thrilled for her 

Great news. Well done. Is that from a wait list? I am hearing quite a lot of people being offered which is really good news.

Asking for a friend as they're not on this forum:

1. Is it 6 days or 5?

2. What time usually is reg in the morning on the Monday?

Many thanks

My DD is due to attend week 2 of the summer school. A previous email we have stated: registration will always take place the day prior to the first day of the course listed (e.g if your course is 19-23rd july, registration will take place on 18th july). Accommodation will be provided from registration day. Collection day will be the last day of the course. 

I don’t have timetable/ timings for registration etc yet....I know my DD will go Sunday and we’ll collect her on the Friday. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mum to a boy dancer said:

Just received the handbook 

Received it this afternoon too. Just curious if there is more than one boys group and more than one girls group during week 1. I can see my DS is in ‘Blue Boys’ and ‘Windsor Dorm’, but wondered if there are other boys groups and other boys dorms. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Addition
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Received it this afternoon too. Just curious if there is more than one boys group and more than one girls group during week 1. I can see my DS is in ‘Blue Boys’ and ‘Windsor Dorm’, but wondered if there are other boys groups and other boys dorms. 

same here too

• Like 2