Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

4 hours ago, Runningmum said:

Hi there, I’m new to the forum due to be a complete novice with a ballet dancing son! I’m now panicking that we had an email yesterday offering a place for the RBS Sumer intensive after a waiting list place as I’ve just read the issues people have had with being told it’s a mistake! Has anyone had an email recently???

i'm nervous now. 

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Runningmum said:

I had a reply to my reply accepting the place so I guess all is good and it says further information will be sent in due course. Fingers crossed it goes ahead then! 

That is a relief, I shall breathe again when I receive confirmation of my acceptance. ! 

I’d be fascinated to know if there is an even split between girls and boys in week 1 and week 3, and if within that there’s a roughly even split between children in school academic Year 5 and Year 6. 

Week one: 19-23 July for girls and boys aged 10-11 years

Week three: 2-6 August for girls and boys aged 10-11 years

Or if it’s all just very random.... and unpredictable.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

DS is week 1 (hadn't clocked it is actually term time for him) he is Y5 😄

Did your DS just do the spring intensive? I saw RBS Instagram stories showing Spring Intensive classes and the groups appeared relatively big. It was hard to see if they were split between girls and boys in any approximate way.

6 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

I do recall DS son saying...

In his group/bubble there were 10 girls and 11 boys. Only 2 Y5 , most Y6 and a few Y7/8 (including a couple already at WL).

A couple left mid-week.

None of this is gospel though, he is only 10 😄

Yes, getting information out of my DS can be either easy, or like getting blood out of a stone (and every possibility in between) 😂 

Between those openly sharing results on this forum and those that share things on social media, I did get the very fuzzy impression that there were a modest number of Y5s offered places, maybe more to Y6s, and as you mention, you could still be in Y7 and fit into this age bracket. 

If your DS’s recollection is one ‘bubble’, I wonder how many bubbles there were that week. 

Purely idle curiosity.

21 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Yes, getting information out of my DS can be either easy, or like getting blood out of a stone (and every possibility in between) 😂 

Between those openly sharing results on this forum and those that share things on social media, I did get the very fuzzy impression that there were a modest number of Y5s offered places, maybe more to Y6s, and as you mention, you could still be in Y7 and fit into this age bracket. 

If your DS’s recollection is one ‘bubble’, I wonder how many bubbles there were that week. 

Purely idle curiosity.

My ds thinks that there were 6 different colour groups and 5 bubbles. One of the groups with some year 6 girls did not mix with boys while ds's bubble was a mix of boys and girls. Most boys were year 6, a couple were year 5 and and 2-3 were year 7. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

My ds thinks that there were 6 different colour groups and 5 bubbles. One of the groups with some year 6 girls did not mix with boys while ds's bubble was a mix of boys and girls. Most boys were year 6, a couple were year 5 and and 2-3 were year 7. 

Thanks for that! Interesting and slightly unpredictable mix then. 

Did your DS enjoy the week? 

Just now, BalletBoysDad said:

Thanks for that! Interesting and slightly unpredictable mix then. 

Did your DS enjoy the week? 

Yes, he loved it.. Thank-you. So in their age bracket, there were more girls, i.e more than one group but only one boys group as far as I know. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Yes, he loved it.. Thank-you. So in their age bracket, there were more girls, i.e more than one group but only one boys group as far as I know. 

Great that he enjoyed it! Must have been a great experience given last summer’s in-person cancellations. 

It will certainly be a test of my DS’s stamina, as he’s done daily classes, but never a full week of full time dance. I imagine a lot of complaining about achey feet when his time comes 😂 

Do you think your DS was in the only mixed group/bubble with boys in? And all the other groups were girls? Very few boys then in the grand scheme of things if that’s the case...

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Great that he enjoyed it! Must have been a great experience given last summer’s in-person cancellations. 

It will certainly be a test of my DS’s stamina, as he’s done daily classes, but never a full week of full time dance. I imagine a lot of complaining about achey feet when his time comes 😂 

Do you think your DS was in the only mixed group/bubble with boys in? And all the other groups were girls? Very few boys then in the grand scheme of things if that’s the case...

There was a group with older boys, not sure if they mixed with older girls or not. My ds was extremely tired, a combination of the dancing and maybe lack of sleep, and excitement of it all, lol. Not a hint of homesickness though, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

There was a group with older boys, not sure if they mixed with older girls or not. My ds was extremely tired, a combination of the dancing and maybe lack of sleep, and excitement of it all, lol. Not a hint of homesickness though, 

Good that it was a great opportunity to ‘test’ homesickness. That must be a relief!

My DS struggles to switch off at night so I’m sure if he’s paired up with another night owl, there might be a distinct lack of sleep 🤦‍♂️

He did 3 consecutive days of 10-4 over Easter and he was very tired by the final day, so hoping this isn’t too much of a struggle for him. Only one way to find out I guess....

• Like 1

The Paris Opera Ballet School has just stated that they will not be taking any candidates from outside the EU for their Summer School this year. If the Royal decides to do something similar, hopefully there’ll be some more movement from the waiting list. Grasping at straws, I know, but those of us still on the waiting list can live in hope!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MissEmily said:

The Paris Opera Ballet School has just stated that they will not be taking any candidates from outside the EU for their Summer School this year. If the Royal decides to do something similar, hopefully there’ll be some more movement from the waiting list. Grasping at straws, I know, but those of us still on the waiting list can live in hope!

I’m hoping but not hopeful! 

3 hours ago, Emmajayne said:

When is the deadline to accept royal summer school place/ make payment by please? Thanks

This id what was on our letter '

he Royal Ballet School’s Intensive Course, Summer London 2021.
Acceptance deadline is 26 March 2021.
If we do not hear from you we will assume that you do not wish to accept your place and we will offer to somebody else.
The course fees invoice will be emailed to you during week commencing 19 April 2021.
Payment deadline is 5 May 2021.