Verucca treatment

Dancingsantosisters

My DD is 10 and developed a verucca during lockdown. We've tried 2 different prescribed medications from the GP for 3 months now. We started the duct tape treatment last night. It doesn't seem to be changing let alone dying. Being back at dance, particularly ballet it's really giving her a lot of discomfort. She starts at Moorland on Saturday in an associate's programme and I'm really worried for her. Does anyone had any miraculous results that are super quick ? TIA

15 minutes ago, Peony said:

What area of the foot is it on? Have you been filling all the dead skin off to the point it starts to bleed?

Its on the ball of her foot so the main point of pressure when dancing ballet. I've been filling it down but not to the point of bleeding i didn't realise i needed to file it that far down in fairness xx

I second a podiatrist. Verrucas can be very stubborn. I tried over the counter medication for one of our dds and the doctor said that a podiatrist would be more help. It took two or three visits to him before it finally cleared up for good. I wish you luck. 

Just now, Fiz said:

I second a podiatrist. Verrucas can be very stubborn. I tried over the counter medication for one of our dds and the doctor said that a podiatrist would be more help. It took two or three visits to him before it finally cleared up for good. I wish you luck. 

Great thank you i will seek one out !! Xx

I had one on the ball of my foot too- very painful! No treatment shifted it but I found that it was the amount of excess skin which the verruca forms over it that was making it so painful. They tell you to use an emery board but tbh there was a huge amount that needed removal, much more than you would think possible I couldn’t manage with just an emery board🤣 I used a micro pedi type electric thing (but be aware that there will be virus shed in the dead skin so only use on the verruca to avoid spreading it), stop when it gets sore . A tiny bit of blood is meant to be a good thing to kick start the immune system. Mine hung around for ages and then disappeared overnight! It would probably be worth an appointment with a podiatrist as mine did take ages to go, they can cut them out but not sure whether they would go for another option due to the dancing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peony said:

I had one on the ball of my foot too- very painful! No treatment shifted it but I found that it was the amount of excess skin which the verruca forms over it that was making it so painful. They tell you to use an emery board but tbh there was a huge amount that needed removal, much more than you would think possible I couldn’t manage with just an emery board🤣 I used a micro pedi type electric thing (but be aware that there will be virus shed in the dead skin so only use on the verruca to avoid spreading it), stop when it gets sore . A tiny bit of blood is meant to be a good thing to kick start the immune system. Mine hung around for ages and then disappeared overnight! It would probably be worth an appointment with a podiatrist as mine did take ages to go, they can cut them out but not sure whether they would go for another option due to the dancing

Thank you... I'm using a home remedy tonight advised by a friend so I'm going to see how we get on with that. I will definitely be looking at the options you've all given me though. Thanks so much xx

21 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

Perhaps a bit weird, but I read somewhere that banana peel was meant to help get rid of them??? My DD has one which looks even worse after using bazuka, so we might give banana peel a go. 

Banana is exactly the home remedy we're using !! Soooo this is the one I've been told works 🤷‍♀️... fresh garlic clove cut in half and rubbed on the verucca, then place a metal washer over the verucca- the hole in the middle needs to be big enough for the whole verucca to be seen. Then you cut a piece of banana skin the size of the washer and put that on top of the washer. Then use medical tape to tape to the foot overnight. Take off in the morning and repeat every night until its gone. My friend did this with her son and within 2 nights it was gone !! I'm praying for the same results 🤞🙏 xx

1 hour ago, Dancingsantosisters said:

Banana is exactly the home remedy we're using !! Soooo this is the one I've been told works 🤷‍♀️... fresh garlic clove cut in half and rubbed on the verucca, then place a metal washer over the verucca- the hole in the middle needs to be big enough for the whole verucca to be seen. Then you cut a piece of banana skin the size of the washer and put that on top of the washer. Then use medical tape to tape to the foot overnight. Take off in the morning and repeat every night until its gone. My friend did this with her son and within 2 nights it was gone !! I'm praying for the same results 🤞🙏 xx

That sounds thorough! I was just going to tape a bit of banana skin to her foot. 😂 Let me know how it goes. 

1 hour ago, HowMuch! said:

Perhaps a bit weird, but I read somewhere that banana peel was meant to help get rid of them??? My DD has one which looks even worse after using bazuka, so we might give banana peel a go. 

1 hour ago, Dancingsantosisters said:

Seriously?

Edited by AnneMarriott
Remove irrelevant comment

Just now, AnneMarriott said:

Sorry to giggle - and I honestly hope it's an effective treatment - but it does smack rather of mediaeval quackery

Seriously?

Yep 🤣🤷‍♀️ apparently the garlic is antiseptic and the banana skin is the potassium.. all the washer does it selects the area that needs to be directly targeted. Honestly we've tried all kinds so I'm open to anything at this point to avoid having to get it cut out 😢 xx

• Like 2

I would echo the suggestion of seeing a podiatrist.

I had a stubborn verucca a while back.  The podiatrist suggested a number of options - and we settled on an over the counter remedy (bazucca), but what she did before I started using the bazucca was to file away all the dead skin, so when I started the treatment it was straight onto the verucca.  

She also explained the importance of regularly filing it back, and also that the way most verucca treatments work is NOT to burn the verucca away (which is what I had thought) but to promote an immune response which will destroy the verucca naturally.

And she set a realistic expectation - that it would probably take several months of treatment for it to go.  She was right!  (sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear).

She also said that verrucae will usually go away of their own accord eventually.

I saw a private podiatrist, and the consultation cost £30 - and even though I didn't get an immediate solution I felt it was worth it in the long run.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, glowlight said:

I would echo the suggestion of seeing a podiatrist.

I had a stubborn verucca a while back.  The podiatrist suggested a number of options - and we settled on an over the counter remedy (bazucca), but what she did before I started using the bazucca was to file away all the dead skin, so when I started the treatment it was straight onto the verucca.  

She also explained the importance of regularly filing it back, and also that the way most verucca treatments work is NOT to burn the verucca away (which is what I had thought) but to promote an immune response which will destroy the verucca naturally.

And she set a realistic expectation - that it would probably take several months of treatment for it to go.  She was right!  (sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear).

She also said that verrucae will usually go away of their own accord eventually.

I saw a private podiatrist, and the consultation cost £30 - and even though I didn't get an immediate solution I felt it was worth it in the long run.

Thank you. Its definitely something i am considering. I have been filling it prior to using bazucca but i think from reading suggestions I've not been filling down far enough. Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions xx

4 minutes ago, Dancingsantosisters said:

Thank you. Its definitely something i am considering. I have been filling it prior to using bazucca but i think from reading suggestions I've not been filling down far enough. Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions xx

It's difficult to file it down far enough with an emery board.  The podiatrist has special equipment to do this, and also training to do it as painlessly as possible.

Edited by glowlight
typo
  • Like 1