Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Streaming news from my dear neighbors to the north:

 

The National Ballet of Canada begins its ‘20/21 Virtual season today, with “Expansive Dances”  - films of three specially-made ballets...including one featuring my special favorite, NBC prima Heather Ogden, choreographed by her husband (also NBC principal) Guillaume Cote. 

Could it be that I last saw Ogden as Aurora at the Kennedy Center, just seven months ago? It seems like years ago!

https://national.ballet.ca/Productions/Expansive-Dances?fbclid=IwAR143JH1qG3z-yRZP3N-c20b26WXFGe8te2xu7tUOx6XZlD33rPwn7Y66Es

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since companies are now announcing official "virtual" seasons for at least autumn 2020, I thought they should have a separate thread where we can keep track of them better.  So please let me know if there are other candidates to be moved into/referenced in this thread.  Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s an odd one:

Sarasota Ballet (Florida, USA) announced a virtual season & are selling subscriptions/taking names...but have not yet announced the exact ballets to streamed (oh, details, details).

https://www.sarasotaballet.org/fall-digital-season

 

I gave my name...but not yet credit card info. I’m really hoping to see the titles of a few complete films of Ashton rarities before opening the purse.

 

Washington Ballet is a bit more substantial, offering a mix of virtual autumn/winter— including a virtual “Nutcracker Experience” — before a (hopeful) return to the live stage in May 2021 with Swan Lake:

https://www.washingtonballet.org/seasons/2020-21-season/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Here’s an odd one:

Sarasota Ballet (Florida, USA) announced a virtual season & are selling subscriptions/taking names...but have not yet announced the exact ballets to streamed (oh, details, details).

https://www.sarasotaballet.org/fall-digital-season

 

I gave my name...but not yet credit card info. I’m really hoping to see the titles of a few complete films of Ashton rarities before opening the purse.

 

Washington Ballet is a bit more substantial, offering a mix of virtual autumn/winter— including a virtual “Nutcracker Experience” — before a (hopeful) return to the live stage in May 2021 with Swan Lake:

https://www.washingtonballet.org/seasons/2020-21-season/

 

Bruce Wall published details of the new digital season in August under Sarasota ballet tag, Jeanette. As I'm using my phone I don't know how to copy details but there seems to be three programmes. 

 

23-25 Oct 

Purity in Motion

which includes Balanchine and Paul Taylor 

 

20-21Nov 

Beyond Expression 

This programme does contain some Ashton including Birthday Offering and Dante Sonata and also David Bintleys Spiders feast.

 

18-19 Dec 

Ashtons Romeo and juliet 

 

I too have signed up for information and am eagerly looking forward to these programmes and the chance to see rarely performed Ashton works. Why can't the RB honour their founder choreographer in this way? 

Bit of a shock if Washington Ballet aren't thinking of live performances until next May. How many companies will survive if they are laid off until then? Its very sad. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, jmhopton. That’s much more than I could find following the link on their website or Facebook. They haven’t even sent me an acknowledgment email in response to my having completed the form that you see in the link that I posted above (first, last names, etc). That was three weeks ago.

 

re Wash Ballet: The Swan Lake at the Kennedy Center in May is not a typo. It’s definitely being advertised as the big return to a live stage.

Edited by Jeannette
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jmhopton said:

 

Bruce Wall published details of the new digital season in August under Sarasota ballet tag, Jeanette. As I'm using my phone I don't know how to copy details but there seems to be three programmes. 

 

23-25 Oct 

Purity in Motion

which includes Balanchine and Paul Taylor 

 

20-21Nov 

Beyond Expression 

This programme does contain some Ashton including Birthday Offering and Dante Sonata and also David Bintleys Spiders feast.

 

18-19 Dec 

Ashtons Romeo and juliet 

 

I too have signed up for information and am eagerly looking forward to these programmes and the chance to see rarely performed Ashton works.  

 ...

 

 

 I’ve just received an answer about programming from Sarasota. Alas, the digital offerings are not yet ready to be announced & tickets cannot yet be purchased. (Perhaps the  info   from Bruce & Jmhopton was from an early mailing to   subscribers in hopes of having a live autumn season?)

 

Answer to my query (via the company’s Facebook), today, 11 Sept:

 

Hi, Jeannette,

...We appreciate your patience with us as we finalize programming for our Digital Fall Season.By the end of next week [by 18 Sept] we should be announcing details regarding our ballet line-up for the Digital Fall Season, along with digital single tickets and subscription packages.

 

I remain in Patience Mode. :)

Edited by Jeannette
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeannette said:

 I’ve just received an answer about programming from Sarasota. Alas, the digital offerings are not yet ready to be announced & tickets cannot yet be purchased. (Perhaps the  info   from Bruce & Jmhopton was from an early mailing to   subscribers in hopes of having a live autumn season?)

 

Answer to my query (via the company’s Facebook), today, 11 Sept:

 

Hi, Jeannette,

...We appreciate your patience with us as we finalize programming for our Digital Fall Season.By the end of next week [by 18 Sept] we should be announcing details regarding our ballet line-up for the Digital Fall Season, along with digital single tickets and subscription packages.

 

I remain in Patience Mode. :)

 

Thanks for this, Jeanette. I did register with Sarasota but good to know details/prices should be available soon. I hope they do at least some of what was mentioned earlier but any Ashton will be good!! I know you can watch dvds but to see something different would be fabulous and slightly compensate for lack of The Real Thing!!!

 

I'm on my computer now and can copy Bruce's post exactly. It sounds definite and Bruce certainly mentions it as a digital autumn season.

 

Sarasota Ballet have announced a true 'Heritage' programme for their upcoming Autumn digital season and for which you can buy tickets to watch.  I have a feeling that many hereabouts may want to do so as it features some true Ashton gems that we don't oft get to see hereabouts nowadays. 

 

PURITY IN MOTION (Program 1)

23 – 25 October 2020
FSU Center for the Performing Arts

George Balanchine's Donizetti Variations
Ricardo Graziano's Amorosa
Paul Taylor's Company B

BEYOND EXPRESSION (Program 2)

20 – 21 November 2020
Sarasota Opera House

Sir Frederick Ashton's Birthday Offering
Sir Frederick Ashton's Dante Sonata
Sir David Bintley's The Spider's Feast

ROMEO & JULIET (Program 3)
18 – 19 December 2020
Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall

Sir Frederick Ashton's Romeo & Juliet
Composed by Sergei Prokofiev

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. What Bruce quoted seems to have been for a live season, as it mentions specific venues. The Ashtons (Dante, R&J) & the Bintley were never performed by this company. Maybe rehearsals, in costumes, were filmed last spring and can be streamed? We’ll see. I’ll hope for the best and will contribute, regardless.

Edited by Jeannette
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/09/2020 at 08:46, DanJL said:

Info on Pacific Northwest Ballet's Digital Season here: https://www.pnb.org/season/

 

I’ve just received my old fashioned hard-copy  brochure from PNB. So clear and spot-on in its presentation on digital offerings, with easy-to-read calendar. We know exactly what we’re getting. Bravo! I’m subscribing.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeannette said:

 

I’ve just received my old fashioned hard-copy  brochure from PNB. So clear and spot-on in its presentation on digital offerings, with easy-to-read calendar. We know exactly what we’re getting. Bravo! I’m subscribing.

 

 

Many thanks for this Jeanette. Great to have their programme confirmed though I have to say I prefer Bruce's version! Where is the Ashton?! For a Company who specialises in Ashton I'm very disappointed he doesn't even get a short ballet and I was so looking forward to seeing his Romeo and Juliet again. I'll just have to go back to the dvds, a bit of a comedown when I thought I was going to see something new. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

 

Many thanks for this Jeanette. Great to have their programme confirmed though I have to say I prefer Bruce's version! Where is the Ashton?! For a Company who specialises in Ashton I'm very disappointed he doesn't even get a short ballet and I was so looking forward to seeing his Romeo and Juliet again. I'll just have to go back to the dvds, a bit of a comedown when I thought I was going to see something new. 

 

This is PNB, not Sarasota, jmhopton. 

 

Sarasota is “hoping” to finalize and announce its schedule by the end of next week. They pulled whatever Bruce received but we can hope that they’ll present some of their archival films of Ashton ballets danced in past seasons, such as Birthday Offering listed in Bruce’s message. Due to corona, R&J and Dante Sonata never made it to the stage...so not filmed, unless there’s some rehearsal footage. 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jeannette said:

 

This is PNB, not Sarasota, jmhopton. 

 

Sarasota is “hoping” to finalize and announce its schedule by the end of next week. They pulled whatever Bruce received but we can hope that they’ll present some of their archival films of Ashton ballets danced in past seasons, such as Birthday Offering listed in Bruce’s message. Due to corona, R&J and Dante Sonata never made it to the stage...so not filmed, unless there’s some rehearsal footage. 

Sorry I misread your posting Jeanette (I seem to be getting scattier by the day!) but thrilled there may still be a chance of some (hopefully) rare Ashton. I'm not bothered what it is. Anything will be gratefully received! Joan 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Sorry I misread your posting Jeanette (I seem to be getting scattier by the day!) but thrilled there may still be a chance of some (hopefully) rare Ashton. I'm not bothered what it is. Anything will be gratefully received! Joan 

 

 

I know about that scattier by the day feeling Joan!  There's something I am really looking forward to on Tuesday (a Zoom event) and I only went and double booked myself with something else.  Fortunately I was able to reorganise the something else!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/09/2020 at 18:00, Jeannette said:

 

...

Sarasota is “hoping” to finalize and announce its schedule by the end of next week. They pulled whatever Bruce received but we can hope that they’ll present some of their archival films of Ashton ballets danced in past seasons, such as Birthday Offering listed in Bruce’s message. Due to corona, R&J and Dante Sonata never made it to the stage...so not filmed, unless there’s some rehearsal footage. 

 

The week has come & gone without word from Sarasota on a digital season’s offerings. Negotiating with unions and choreographers foundations (rights holders)? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Summarizing digital seasons that one may purchase for US ballet companies, thus far:

 

Sarasota Ballet’s specific plans were announced a couple of weeks ago, in a separate thread ($90 for the first three shows, through December).  

 

Pacific NW Ballet/Seattle plans are cited above ($190 for   season pass of six shows...not including Nutcracker, to be sold separately).

 

Louisville Ballet in Kentucky, USA, was one of the first companies to announce & sell season tickets ($125) to an all-digital season

(“Season of Illumination”). This was back in July. However, as far as I can tell, exact ballets are not yet listed. The website states that folks who pre-purchased season passes will be notified of exact ballets 3-4 weeks before each program. Link below. 

https://www.louisvilleballet.org/

 

It’s now October and, as far as I can tell, no exact ballets have been announced for the Season of Illumination. Will they be illuminating us soon?

 

Have any other US ballet companies announced digital seasons for purchase?

ABT will make a couple of archived shows available to donating Members (minimum $100 membership level) but that’s not a digital season per se.

Washington Ballet’s offerings are tough to figure out...and cost is hard to tell...we just know that there’ll be a couple of special-created digital programs, a “virtual Nutcracker Experience,” and live performances in May & June (Swan Lake at KennCenter and a “New Steps” triple Bill on a stage). https://www.washingtonballet.org/seasons/2020-21-season/

 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Today’s the first day of Pacific NW Ballet’s paid-subscription Virtual season, to which I paid for the full-season option of six programs through May/June 2021. I can’t wait to see how this goes...PNB already sent us a “test film” with instructions on steps to watch on Smart TV, if we so choose. Big ballet night at home!

 

My only other such purchase is for Sarasota Ballet’s season, which begins next week, 23 Oct. with All-Ashton. They, too, sent a “test film” with instructions. 

 

Fingers crossed for smooth sailing! 🤞 🙏 😊 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Today’s the first day of Pacific NW Ballet’s paid-subscription Virtual season, to which I paid for the full-season option of six programs through May/June 2021. I can’t wait to see how this goes...PNB already sent us a “test film” with instructions on steps to watch on Smart TV, if we so choose. Big ballet night at home!

 

My only other such purchase is for Sarasota Ballet’s season, which begins next week, 23 Oct. with All-Ashton. They, too, sent a “test film” with instructions. 

 

Fingers crossed for smooth sailing! 🤞 🙏 😊 

 

I like the "help" advice -  "Ask for help! Is there a tech-savvy person in your family? See if they can help you."

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oncnp said:

 

I like the "help" advice -  "Ask for help! Is there a tech-savvy person in your family? See if they can help you." or 

 

Exactly (ha ha)! At the very least I know that I can click on the link and watch on the iPhone!!! As for “shining” the iPhone to the SmartTV, I’ll make sure that the techie in the family is home, LOL! He’s not allowed to go to his Thursday-night ice hockey game tonight!

Everything worked out for last week’s ROH Gala, so I’m hopeful for PNB and Sarasota. 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, oncnp said:

 

I like the "help" advice -  "Ask for help! Is there a tech-savvy person in your family? See if they can help you."

 

I needed some technical advice on something trivial recently and (not by a contact centre but a chum) it was suggested I ask a 5 year old as they are way more tech savvy than adults!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

 

I needed some technical advice on something trivial recently and (not by a contact centre but a chum) it was suggested I ask a 5 year old as they are way more tech savvy than adults!!

 

They certainly are. I always ask my six year old grandson and now the three year old is getting in on the act.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh good.  I can watch Revelations until the cows come home.  Mind you, if the neighbours look in and see me dancing around to "Rocka My Soul in the Bosom of Abraham" ... :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...