Has anyone been to the Mariinskiy Theatre for a ballet performance?

We are in St Petersburg in a few week's time and there is a performance of La Sylphide that we could get to see at the Mariinskiy. Some of the tickets in the first tier boxes work out at about £35 (even for the non - Russians who get charged a higher rate!) and I was wondering about the view and the experience in general. If anyone has been, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Karen

"Has anyone been to the Mariinskiy Theatre for a ballet performance?"

I can't resist.

The what ?

Yes, Eight Mariinsky Festivals in a row.

I've always have had the good fortune to have Orchestra seats, but from my wandering the theatre and from what I've heard there isn't a bad seat in the house. (First couple rows center, though, you may get the conductor in your face.) It's not large, less than 2,000 seats(?), but if you're towards the back I would suggest using theatre glasses to maximize the experience. You can rent them at any coat check in the theatre for a very reasonable price.

As for "La Sylphide", it's a sad one and I like "happy", but there were moments that still shine in my heart. The 'wandering' off stage of the Sylphs at the end touched me in a way that I'll never forget.

You might also try for something a little cheerier. "Cinderella" across the street from the Mariinsky, November 27, at the Ballet theatre of St. Petersburg Conservatoire is a possibility.Tickets at its box office might be as low as 10 pounds. If the timing is right get to the Mariinsky about 30 minutes early and walk across the street to get tickets for this at the best possible price. Ticket to anything can be found by your hotel or the site below, but you may pay at least double. If you want to know more about any of this please post and I'll try to help.

Take a look here.

http://www.mariinsky...ybill/playbill/

http://www.balletand...30-Nov-2012#mo1

http://www.balletand...y_theatre=#play

Edited by Buddy

Also, November 24, Leonid Sarafanov, "Swan Lake" and November 28,29, if you can handle two "La Sylphides", the beautiful Mikhailovsky Theatre, just off the main boulevard, the Prospect Nevsky, will be featuring Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev. I'm surprised that these aren't sold out.

December 5 is Ekaterina Kondaurova, "Raymonda", at the Mariinsky. Maybe worth an extra week's stay and a 2,000 pound hotel bill to see. :)

Edited by Buddy

^^ this all sounds wonderful..if only!

I have been twice the first time was best and the one that started it all for me...I was in a stall circle type box with unimpeded view it was great we saw Chopiniana, Walpurges Nacht and Polvotsian Dances a fab intro to ballet. Second time I was in the stalls BIG head in front no view and Giselle fell over! Very poor in my experience and bad value for a lot of money. If you can go up do.

I've had the head in front of me experience too, Don Q Fan, but only a very few times in eight years. It's never ruined a performance for me. I'm somewhat tall, so I tend to slouch down in my seat a bit as a possible courtesy to the person behind me, but I don't worry about it and I've never noticed anyone changing seats behind me. It probably wouldn't hurt if the floor was sloped and the seats staggered, but that's not the case. I just get a little more agile in my viewing. I pretend that I'm a dancer.

By the way, in my opinion, the Hermitage Museum of Art is a must ! I can get particularly attached to the Rembrandt's at times. Besides being a genius, the man had soul. There's all sorts of great stuff there to fit any mood that you might be in and it can compliment any performances that you see beautifully.

Edited by Buddy

Three small pieces of advice about going to this wonderful theatre:

1) If you are picking up tickets, arrive in good time to do so as it can become a bit of a crush at the last minute

2) Be sure to hand in your coats as the ushers are very fierce and debar you from going in if you are carrying them

3) If by chance you have tickets for near the front of the Stalls, take your seats earlyish and beware of the patrons who tend to sit in them in the hope that you won't turn up. [This can otherwise lead to a last-minute scramble as the offenders shuffle from one seat to another and eventually away!]

I think that your forthcoming trip has made everyone on this site suitably envious. Ekaterina Kondaurova in Raymonda sounds an especially wonderful prospect. And don't forget to look out for Xander Parish! Enjoy - and please report back.

Karen, when you say "first tier boxes" do you mean (using the vernacular of the Mariinsky) the "Baignoire" or the "Belle-Etage" level? I’ve sat in boxes in both levels. Views are goods in both. As always, the closer to the center of the theater the better.

One word of caution. Avoid the back (last) row in the Stalls, because the last row bends and some seats come very, very close to seats on the ends of the rows that the last row bends around, which causes leg room issues. Look at the seating chart and you'll understand.

And don't forget to look out for Xander Parish! Enjoy - and please report back.

Total aside.

I saw Xander perform both times at the Costa Mesa, California, Mariinsky "Swan Lakes", as one of the three prince's friends, and he was a major highlight of the entire series. I think that he will have a brilliant future at the Mariinsky. He is also a perfect gentleman. A real UK ambassador of good will to Russia, I would think.

Edited by Buddy

Very excited to say that tickets are booked for 1st December. Some issues with web site but helpful response in very good English from theatre staff. I would now appreciate any dress code advice(bearing in mind that snow is forecast for that weekend!

Karen

• Like 1

We first went there in February when snow was thick on the ground and in the air. I have the impression that people did not dress up for the Mariinsky quite as much as at the Bolshoi so you will feel quite OK in anything black. We actually found it quite warm inside the theatre.

• Like 1

Men might feel more at ease in a suit (and my husband thinks he wore one). But I seem to recall that some were wearing a more tunic-like garment - a bit akin to what Barry Wordsworth sports at RoH. My overall impression was that everyone was looking 'tidy' and that things weren't quite as relaxed as they are at Covent Garden.

• Like 1

A sport jacket is probably fine, even a nice sweater or shirt. Most folks try to be somewhat dressy, but the company principals (women and men) in their second level box to the right of the stage wear blue jeans and shirts a lot, so if you do the same someone might think that you're principals. :)

Edited by Buddy

• 2 weeks later...

We saw the performance tonight in temperatures of -9, but were enchanted by the theatre and the quality of dance. Yekaterina Osmolkina as Sylphide was outstanding with beautiful, light elevation and no over extension whatsoever. For me, she was the star, although Maria Adzhamova as Effie and Alexei Popov as James were strong. Popov's facial expressions were limited; this was particularly noticeable against the very strong character performance of Lyubov Kozharskaa as Madge. All in all, a fantastic first visit to this glorious building. Interesting range of attire from ladies in evening gowns to jeans and also some rather bad audience behaviour with flash photography in act 2. Would go again given the opportunity.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...