Northern Ballet - Autumn 2013

I've just been looking at Northern Ballet's Tour Dates and spotted that their wonderful Christmas Carol is being performed in Canterbury from 29th October - 2nd November 2013.

The tickets are on sale now!

I hope that it will be performed at other venues!

http://northernballet.com/index.php?q=whats-on-tour

Scroll to the bottom of the page for details.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Northern Ballet are reviving their wonderful "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at the West Yorkshire Playhouse from 6th-14th September 2013. This production was premiered at the WYP, a very different venue for ballet and I would recommend a visit there to anyone who can get there. (And yes I am biased - it is one of my favourite NB productions.)

Northern Ballet have slipped the Autumn tour dates unannounced on their website. They are bringing back 2 old favourites to tour before Cinderella opens in Leeds in December. (I'd better start saving!).

Midsummer Night's Dream:

Leeds WYP 06-14 September

Newcastle 17-21 September

Woking 24-28 September

Nottingham 01-05 October

A Christmas Carol:

Norwich 09-12 October

Sheffield 29 October - 02 November

Bradford 13-16 November

Manchester 19-23 November

Cinderella:

Leeds 17 December - 04 January 2014

• 3 months later...

I've just been looking at Northern Ballet's Tour Dates and spotted that their wonderful Christmas Carol is being performed in Canterbury from 29th October - 2nd November 2013.

The tickets are on sale now!

I hope that it will be performed at other venues!

Scroll to the bottom of the page for details.

Ooo, Canterbury isn't far... I love Northern's  Christmas Carol, I had the dvd until ds nabbed it for "professional " reasons!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is the official Press Release for the Autumn Tour:

Northern Ballet announces new season tour for 2013

Northern Ballet is bringing a spectacular season of magical ballet to ten venues around the UK on its second national tour of the year. The season opens with A Midsummer Night’s Dream, at West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds on Friday 6 September, which then tours to Newcastle Theatre Royal (17 – 21 Sep), Woking New Victoria Theatre (24 – 28 Sep) and Nottingham Theatre Royal (1 – 5 Oct).

This will be followed by one of Northern Ballet’s best-loved productions, A Christmas Carol, which will be performed at Norwich Theatre Royal (9 – 12 Oct), Canterbury Marlowe Theatre (29 Oct – 2 Nov), Sheffield Lyceum Theatre (5 – 9 Nov), Bradford Alhambra Theatre (13 – 16 Nov) and Manchester Palace Theatre (19 – 23 Nov).

Three Little Pigs is the second production in Northern Ballet’s series of Short Ballets for Small People. It will be performed in three Leeds venues, The Hunslet Club (20 Oct), The Riley Theatre (26 Oct) and the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre (28 Oct – 2 Nov).

Finally, Northern Ballet returns home for Christmas with a new production for the whole family. David Nixon’s Cinderella will have its World Première at Leeds Grand Theatre on Tuesday 17 December where it will be performed until Saturday 4 January.

Olivier-nominated A Midsummer Night’s Dream sees the romantic antics of a touring dance company played out as it travels by sleeper train from London to Edinburgh. The choreography by David Nixon OBE brings out the comedy, romance and complexity of this enchanting story. His Dior-inspired costumes, along with stylish black and white sets provide a dazzling contrast to the glorious technicolour of the dreamworld. The ballet is performed to music by Felix Mendelssohn and Johannes Brahms, arranged by John Longstaff and performed live by Northern Ballet Sinfonia.

Originally choreographed by Massimo Moricone and directed by Christopher Gable, A Christmas Carol is a sumptuous parcel of theatre, musical and ballet. It tells the story of Ebenezer Scrooge's transformation from mealy-mouthed skin-flint to the most famous champion of Christmas spirit.  Scrooge journeys through time to be confronted by ghostly visions from his past, present and future. Lez Brotherston’s colourful sets and costumes conjure up a traditional Victorian Christmas, and are perfectly complemented by Carl Davis’ festive score, which blends classical music, played live by Northern Ballet Sinfonia, with well-known Christmas carols sung by the Company.

Northern Ballet’s series Short Ballets for Small People has been created to introduce families and young children to live dance, music and theatre. Three Little Pigs follows the sell-out success of Ugly Duckling which toured to over twenty venues and delighted audiences and critics. Three Little Pigs tells the famous story of how the pigs overcome the Big Bad Wolf in a colourful, funny and entertaining 40 minute performance, with tickets priced at £4 and £5.

Cinderella is David Nixon’s second new full-length ballet in 2013 for Northern Ballet. Devastated by the loss of her father and excluded by her evil step mother and spoilt sisters, Cinderella finds solace on the frozen lake. When she meets her Prince Charming and experiences a magical encounter in a market place Cinderella’s destiny changes forever.

Cinderella is the fifth addition to Northern Ballet’s repertoire of highly successful family ballets which already includes The Nutcracker, Peter Pan, A Christmas Carol and Beauty & the Beast.

- ENDS -

Tour Listings

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Leeds West Yorkshire Playhouse

Fri 6 – Sat 14 Sep

Box Office 0113 213 7700

wyp.org.uk

Newcastle Theatre Royal

Tue 17 – Sat 21 Sep

Box Office 08448 11 21 21

theatreroyal.co.uk

Woking New Victoria Theatre