Matthew Bourne - Sleeping Beauty 2012/13

The puppet baby Aurora is extremely well done, and very deftly handled by the cast. I recall that in the Imagine tv programme about the making of Bourne's Sleeping Beauty he said that they had about five different Aurora puppets to do different things. He also said that they were not going to give the puppet a curtain call "in case she got more applause than anyone else."

Lynette: By last night I'd forgotten that Matthew had said that about the 'baby.' And as rapturous as was the reception at the end for the cast, had the puppet been produced I'm sure the roof would have been brought down - and I, for one, felt 'she' was a bit of an omission!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was reflecting yesterday on how frequently it is that, when I go back for repeat viewings of Matthew Bourne productions, I end up getting the first cast again.  Does anyone have any feel for what proportion of performances go to the first cast?   I'd always assumed that they were distributed fairly evenly, but am now starting to wonder.

Well I was at the Empire for the first night of a week of performances last night.

I was sat further back than usual and I loved the set even more from further away.  As this has been touring extensively for just on 6 months, the cast has really bedded the production down and I loved it even more than I did in November!  I saw the same cast as then!

There was a huge buzz in the audience and nearly the entire stalls rose as one at the end to acclaim the dancers.

Mathew Bourne did a Q&A after the performance.  I would guess around 200 people stayed behind.  It was a very lively and entertaining session (well it is Liverpool and we all think we are jokers!).  If anyone has the opportunity to go to one of Mathew's talks, please take the chance.  I find him quite inspirational.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Feeling quite jealous, Janet, of your opportunity to see the man himself at a Q andA. Loved the way he has developed the story line and the choreography was so exciting. The scene between the two on the love seat in the first act was beautiful. We all agreed that there was so much humour and passion in the dancing, and how wonderful was the scene when aurora is cursed! My mum has seen many of the greats of the ballet world and stood at many a stage door in her youth, but this was her first Michael Bourne ballet. She was captivated. Another thumbs up from us girls here!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread to say that this was on Great Performances on TV this evening and it was a lot of fun! I thought Act II dragged a bit, but that vision sequence tends to go on too long in any performance - I couldn't quite see the point of dressing the dancers in Victorian underwear for that act, except that Matthew Bourne seems to like to put his dancers in knee-length pants. Adam Maskell played Carabosse/Caradoc and really dominated in a wonderfully creepy way. I must admit that Count Lilac reminded me somewhat of Elrond in Lord of the Rings, but it was certainly an interesting take on the Lilac Fairy, especially his vampire powers. The Aurora puppet was brilliant - I felt really sorry for the poor nurse/governess dealing with that kid (and she didn't improve a lot once she'd grown up).

In some ways this ballet reminded me of Christopher Wheeldon's Alice in Wonderland with the rose motif, the movement forward in time from the Edwardian era to modern times, the contrast between the real world and some rather mad fantasy, and of course another new version of the Rose Adagio. The DVD is rather expensive at Amazon but I'm definitely tempted.

• 7 years later...

Very much by chance, we've just watched this on YouTube.  Scrolling through this thread has confirmed that I enjoyed it in 2013 and I can happily say that it's still a superb re-creation.  And, as it's to be Sadler's Wells' Christmas season show this year, I heartily commend it to one and all.

• Like 3

Ah brings back happy memories of watching it at Milton Keynes with Adam Maskell as Carabosse  etc with friends in the front row along with my 8 year old dd. We had no idea about the content as not really dance/ ballet fans then… just remember my friends quietly putting her hand over my daughters eyes at certain points 😬😂🤣… it certainly had an impact as 3 years later daughter went off to WL! She’s now in1 st year at ENBS ..and yes I have been given strict instructions to get tickets for Sadler Wells in December….😂

• Like 2