UPPER SCHOOL AUDITIONS -2021 Entry

Aklf

Hi everyone,

apologies if this thread already exists.

Thought it would be helpful if people with children auditioning to start  upper schools in Sept 2021 wanted to post information on Audition dates and details for various schools.

I know that auditions are delayed in the UK due to Covid but So far I only know that ENB prelim audition is set for January 9th. 

Anyone who knows more dates please can you add? 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2020 at 14:41, sillysally said:

Hi Aklf,

Thats really useful to know.  Could you please explain where you got this info from...I've been checking their website and cant find any info for 2020/21.

We will be in the audition trail next year and I'm afraid I'll miss the deadlines!

Thanks.

1D213FEF-EBBC-47FC-8B1A-C707CC69B7F7.thumb.png.ced18f390d1e74ec564973d7b90958da.png

• Like 1

No compulsory video is a step forward as akwstscthink that it can be so unfair....with some having opportunity of more studio time/teacher input/edit assistance etc than others....

Only way to feel you’ve had a fair chance is to have danced in front of a panel I think 

• Like 2

Thanks Aklf and Peanuts68 🙂  I think my internet browser was automatically loading a stored page 🤪 I'm happy to learn there is no compulsory video. 

On the topic of dance videos I welcome any tips or hints that others have learnt whilst making audition videos....

Our dance school is not so helpful with making videos .... they charge for the studio time and do not help with the music or exercises.  It is up to the child to decide what to include.  They dont even stay in the room. It's really a hands off approach. 😝

I appreciate schools have different requirements so we must film certain exercises that are requested by each school, but I think its going to be a challenge for us.  I'm hoping I can adequately film with my iPhone!

If anyone has any tips about what to do or not do, I'd really welcome any help.  

I found iMovie really easy to use for editing it together, you literally just select the videos from your camera roll. All of the audition videos I’ve done I’ve filmed from the floor to make the leg lines look longer. Offer to pay a teacher to help with exercises otherwise you will need to let your DC watch every exercise back before moving on. Performance doesn’t always translate well to video so practice going bigger. Anticipate it taking hours

I think where video isvinly way to select candidates (overseas/short courses etc) then the institution ought provide s generic class to follow so all using same music same exercises & even filmed in same frame so same angles etc as surely that would be a fairer way to compare students? Also if all doing the same then candidates with that extra musicality or artistry will stand out & thus judging may move beyond just leg length (& we all can manipulate the look of that let’s face it....as you say, filming from floor!) & body shape & look at the ‘complete dancer’. 

I do also think some (eg RBS) are missing out on actually seeing candidates & making money or at least giving value for money.... 

If they (& others) toured the country (even overseas) holding live auditions for their short courses then I’m sure people would feel they get something out if the let’s face it extortionate fees to merely have photos looked at (again an unlevel playing field) It would provide work for teachers/panel members/pianists & boost studio rentals - pumping some much needed money into the sector that has suffered greatly. Or even hold live auditions over Zoom.... the more apply, the more auditions they will need to run & thus more employment work will be created to help the industry....& candidates will feel they got a fair & equal chance & a class to remember & we parents will feel we gained some value for money.... 

hoping this makes sense? 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 09:20, Bluebird22 said:

I found iMovie really easy to use for editing it together, you literally just select the videos from your camera roll. All of the audition videos I’ve done I’ve filmed from the floor to make the leg lines look longer. Offer to pay a teacher to help with exercises otherwise you will need to let your DC watch every exercise back before moving on. Performance doesn’t always translate well to video so practice going bigger. Anticipate it taking hours

thanks for the imovie & film from floor tips 😊 ill be sure to anticipate some midnight candle hours 🤪

On 10/09/2020 at 16:29, sillysally said:

Thanks Aklf and Peanuts68 🙂  I think my internet browser was automatically loading a stored page 🤪 I'm happy to learn there is no compulsory video. 

On the topic of dance videos I welcome any tips or hints that others have learnt whilst making audition videos....

Our dance school is not so helpful with making videos .... they charge for the studio time and do not help with the music or exercises.  It is up to the child to decide what to include.  They dont even stay in the room. It's really a hands off approach. 😝

I appreciate schools have different requirements so we must film certain exercises that are requested by each school, but I think its going to be a challenge for us.  I'm hoping I can adequately film with my iPhone!

If anyone has any tips about what to do or not do, I'd really welcome any help.  

As a tip for ballet audition videos - there are loads on YouTube and you can see they tend to follow a pattern. Ideally practice beforehand loads and get the teacher or coach to help. Especially with the angle and fine tuning. I’ve been told loads of time that they tend to scan through so a good strong start is always a good idea. 

On 08/09/2020 at 23:55, Aklf said:

1D213FEF-EBBC-47FC-8B1A-C707CC69B7F7.thumb.png.ced18f390d1e74ec564973d7b90958da.png

It will be interesting to see how diversity quotas work in Ballet.  Where we live in Australia the majority of young students at our studio are Australians of Asian appearance.  By high school things change dramatically.  Basically the demographics do a reversal. 

The level of commitment required to continue training i.e. most nights and Saturdays, is a problem for parents who want their children to focus on their school work and have (legitimate) concerns about the opportunities and remuneration in Ballet.   

• 3 weeks later...

I saw that RBS have announced opening of applicaitons, but only doing in person auditions for y7 and y12 entry this year. All others by video for preliminaries. Although it's a bit frustrating that those who can apply in person still have to do a video and send in as a back up in case they can't run them in person.

• Like 1