• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, does anyone has any information on the RAD classes at elmhurst? What I’m wondering is, do all y7’s start off on the same level? Or does it depend on what exam they’ve recently taken? Also is it just the vocational exams they do, or grades too? 
@sunrise81 could you maybe help with this? You’ve been so helpful during this whole process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ballerina-girl said:

Hi, does anyone has any information on the RAD classes at elmhurst? What I’m wondering is, do all y7’s start off on the same level? Or does it depend on what exam they’ve recently taken? Also is it just the vocational exams they do, or grades too? 
@sunrise81 could you maybe help with this? You’ve been so helpful during this whole process. 

Well the current year 7s haven't started any yet ......should have been after Xmas :( From what I understand they are the vocational exams. Not sure about how they organise is though?

• Like 1

All Year 7s start on Intermediate Foundation unless they have already taken it, in which case they go into Intermediate with the Year 8s, but not until after Christmas, and possibly later than usual as there is a backlog of the older students waiting to take RAD exams since before lockdown. They work their way through the vocational grades, but not the numbered grades. The RAD grade doesn’t affect what they do in their other ballet classes at all, so don’t worry about being ahead or behind. The exams are just a route into competitions and teaching qualifications as they get older.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Clarity
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

All Year 7s start on Intermediate Foundation unless they have already taken it, in which case they go into Intermediate with the Year 8s, but not until after Christmas, and possibly later than usual as there is a backlog of the older students waiting to take RAD exams since before lockdown. They work their way through the vocational grades, but not the numbered grades. The RAD grade doesn’t affect what they do in their other ballet classes at all, so don’t worry about being ahead or behind. The exams are just a route into competitions and teaching qualifications as they get older.

Thank you! My DD is working towards her inter foundation and will probably be able to fit in her exam before heading off to elmhurst. I was just worrying that she’d be made to sit out until all the other dc in her class are on the same level. Nice to know she can join an older class if needed.

19 minutes ago, Ballerina-girl said:

Oh hopefully they get to do one soon. Maybe allowing my dd to take her inter foundation exam before she leaves is a good idea then 😂

My DD is due to take hers this term as well and I was worried about her not being with her peers.  I think I may let her take her exam at least I know there is someone in a similar situation x

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

My DD is due to take hers this term as well and I was worried about her not being with her peers.  I think I may let her take her exam at least I know there is someone in a similar situation x

Yes sounds like there’s quite a backlog so probably best to let them do their exam when they can. 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ballerina-girl said:

Yes sounds like there’s quite a backlog so probably best to let them do their exam when they can. 😂

We have been waiting a year to do grade 4 with her dance school....not sure whether to see if we can get an exam date booked in this term as otherwise I can't see her being able to do it? She does BBO x 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

We have been waiting a year to do grade 4 with her dance school....not sure whether to see if we can get an exam date booked in this term as otherwise I can't see her being able to do it? She does BBO x 

It won’t matter at all which grade they are in. Their main ballet classes form the vast majority of the training and they aren’t held back or pushed forward by the RAD grade at all. Don’t worry about trying to get them through exams before starting there, it really won’t matter.

Use the next few months to make sure they learn skills like doing their own bun, sewing ribbons on pointe shoes, sorting light and dark washing, making up a bed etc. rather than trying to squeeze in ballet exams :)

Readiness for boarding and a good dose of resilience and independence will be more useful to them than starting in a higher RAD grade xx

Edited by SissonneDoublee
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

It won’t matter at all which grade they are in. Their main ballet classes form the vast majority of the training and they aren’t held back or pushed forward by the RAD grade at all. Don’t worry about trying to get them through exams before starting there, it really won’t matter.

Use the next few months to make sure they learn skills like doing their own bun, sewing ribbons on pointe shoes, sorting light and dark washing etc. rather than trying to squeeze in ballet exams :)

Readiness for boarding and a good dose of resilience and independence will be more useful to them than starting in a higher RAD grade xx

Thanks so much....I was actually going to ask about what skills they need in readiness for boarding! I'm a bit worried as she is the messiest child alive....feel sorry for whoever ends up sharing with her! Do they do bedroom inspections?! X 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Thanks so much....I was actually going to ask about what skills they need in readiness for boarding! I'm a bit worried as she is the messiest child alive....feel sorry for whoever ends up sharing with her! Do they do bedroom inspections?! X 

You will be amazed at how much tidier they are at school! There are daily room checks, with a tick list of what they need to do (open curtains, make bed, leave floor clear etc) and they get rewards for having a full chart of ticks.

Having places to put things helps DD to stay organised: a box for school books, containers for hair stuff etc. Also, a huge wash bag that is big enough to take all her shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc so she isn’t juggling bottles on the way to the shower xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SissonneDoublee said:

You will be amazed at how much tidier they are at school! There are daily room checks, with a tick list of what they need to do (open curtains, make bed, leave floor clear etc) and they get rewards for having a full chart of ticks.

Having places to put things helps DD to stay organised: a box for school books, containers for hair stuff etc. Also, a huge wash bag that is big enough to take all her shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc so she isn’t juggling bottles on the way to the shower xx

This is amazing my DD is also very messy! Thanks for all your amazing tips glad to hear there are room checks and tick charts.  Definitely going to get my DD to be more independent she does do her own hair and bed already.  But hadn’t thought about sewing and sorting washing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Oh thank you for advise, we have had a chat to dd about starting to be I little more independent on the run up to September. She does like to keep a tidy room so shouldn’t be too bad at that, but is a nightmare for losing things 🙈 

• Like 2

Just now, Dancing unicorn said:

GET LABELLING NOW!!!! 🤣🤣

You need to label everything! 
Funny story - DH decided to use a Red  marker on DD’s pink ballet socks (socks are worn til xmas) and because of sweating, she ended up with red feet 🤣🤣🤣

That’s so funny and something I would probably have done.  I hadn’t thought of labelling socks!  I have always used the sew in labels wouldn’t they be itchy in socks and wouldn’t laundry pens wash out.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I guess DC will need about 7 pairs of ballet socks!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Oh I wish DD had got tidier! She’s very organised with her dance kit/homework but keeping her room tidy is a battle! I even been called up by the head of boarding as it had got so bad! The shame 🤣

• Like 4