ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

Guest oncnp

4 hours ago, oncnp said:

Nutcracker info

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-nutcracker-by-peter-wright-details

Booking: (EST I think so add 5 hours for GMT....sorry!)

General: 1 December 2020, 5am
Young ROH: 1 December 2020, 5am
Friends: 26 November 2020, 5am
Young Friends: 26 November 2020, 5am
Friends+: 25 November 2020, 9am
Supporting Friends: 25 November 2020, 5am
Premium 1 Friends: 24 November 2020, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 24 November 2020, 5am

and

Leading up to this festive treat, The Royal Ballet invites audiences to watch the dancers in a special filmed Insight of The Nutcracker in Rehearsal via the Royal Opera House YouTube channel on Tuesday 1 December at 7pm GMT. This streamed event is part of the Royal Opera House digital Insights programme.

A limited number of single seats still...and still no option to chose your seat(s)!

I might have to book two seats - one for me and one for my bag (!)

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Sadly no mention of streaming that I can see for Nutcracker, unlike the opera Christmas Concert where it specifies that the performance of 18th December will be streamed.

They look as though they are relying on an old recording of Nut rather than filming the cut down version which is , after all, just a stop gap measure.

53 minutes ago, capybara said:

They look as though they are relying on an old recording of Nut rather than filming the cut down version which is , after all, just a stop gap measure.

I think it would be interesting to see the cut-down one for comparison. It would also be a great opportunity to compare casts if they streamed all of them, but I know that's never going to happpen!

Order for this evening

SCHERZO

Choreography VALENTINO ZUCCHETTI

Dancers  SOPHIE ALLNATT, MADISON BAILEY, LETICIA DIAS,  BOMIN KIM, SAE MAEDA, MARIKO SASAKI, SUMINA SASAKI, YU HANG, JOSEPH AUMEER, HARRIS BELL, LIAM BOSWELL, LUKAS BJØRNEBOE BRÆNDSRØD, LEO DIXON,  TAISUKE NAKAO, GIACOMO ROVERO and  FRANCISCO SERRANO

RHAPSODY PAS DE DEUX - AKANE TAKADA and ALEXANDER CAMPBELL

MONOTONES II - MELISSA HAMILTON, REECE CLARKE and NICOL EDMONDS

TCHAIKOVSKY PAS DE DEUX - ANNA ROSE O’SULLIVAN and MARCELINO SAMBÉ

IN OUR WISHES - ROMANY PAJDAK and CALVIN RICHARDSON

SWAN LAKE ACT II PAS DE DEUX - FRANCESCA HAYWARD and CESAR CORRALES

MANON  ACT I PAS DE DEUX - LAURA MORERA and FEDERICO BONELLI

CONCERTO PAS DE DEUX - YASMINE NAGHDI and NICOL EDMONDS

DANCE OF THE BLESSED SPIRITS - WILLIAM BRACEWELL

THE DYING SWAN - NATALIA OSIPOVA

LE CORSAIRE PAS DE DEUX - MARIANELA NUÑEZ and VADIM MUNTAGIROV

WITHIN THE GOLDEN HOUR

ANNA ROSE O’SULLIVAN and JAMES HAY,

FUMI KANEKO and REECE CLARKE,

SARAH LAMB and RYOICHI HIRANO

ASHLEY DEAN, ISABELLA GASPARINI, HANNAH GRENNELL, ROMANY PAJDAK, LEO DIXON, DAVID DONNELLY, TÉO DUBREUIL, DAVID YUDES

Still doesn't look printable but https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/The-Royal-Ballet-Live-Within-The-Golden-Hour/The-Royal-Ballet-Live-Within-the-Golden-Hour-cast-sheet.pdf

Edited by oncnp

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

I wrote in about the printing problem and received no reply.

It was brought up in the chat again this morning and the moderator said they'd look into it. 🤞

I enjoyed watching class and was especially pleased to see Joe Sissons who doesn't appear to have danced in recent streamings.

But the reason for posting is to quote some of the text, supposedly repeating the comments made by Christopher Saunders, who took the class, in his element. The machine transcribing the text seemed to be even deafer than I am yet also had magical predictive skills, occasionally showing the words before they had been spoken! (Presumably the rehearsal wasn't live and the text was added afterwards).

Quite a lot of technical terms were correctly spelt but some were wildly inaccurate. In some cases I couldn't relate the words on screen to what I heard but the following examples I found amusing:

adagio: a dodge, a dirge

port de bras: pour the broth, spot a bra, porta bra, put a bra

tendus: Tom Jews, tongs you, single tone due

tombe: Tom May Hardware

Tendu battement: Tan due Batman

rond de jambe: Rhonda Jam/Jean/John

assemble: Assam Blah

grand battement: groan but

glissade: Glee sod

plie: plea, pee a petit

jete: jetty

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I enjoyed watching class and was especially pleased to see Joe Sissons who doesn't appear to have danced in recent streamings.

But the reason for posting is to quote some of the text, supposedly repeating the comments made by Christopher Saunders, who took the class, in his element. The machine transcribing the text seemed to be even deafer than I am yet also had magical predictive skills, occasionally showing the words before they had been spoken! (Presumably the rehearsal wasn't live and the text was added afterwards).

Quite a lot of technical terms were correctly spelt but some were wildly inaccurate. In some cases I couldn't relate the words on screen to what I heard but the following examples I found amusing:

adagio: a dodge, a dirge

port de bras: pour the broth, spot a bra, porta bra, put a bra

tendus: Tom Jews, tongs you, single tone due

tombe: Tom May Hardware

Tendu battement: Tan due Batman

rond de jambe: Rhonda Jam/Jean/John

assemble: Assam Blah

grand battement: groan but

glissade: Glee sod

plie: plea, pee a petit

jete: jetty

I believe the captions are automatically created by YouTube.  

I particularly like ‘tan due Batman’ 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

Joe performed Dance of the Blessed Spirits in the live show last week. It looks to me as if Kevin O’Hare has been careful in sharing things out across the 9th October, World Ballet Day, the one live performance, this morning’s streamed class for Friends and tonight, and in being sure to include dancers who are not in the top ranks. No mean feat!
Those subtitles were ridiculous. I understand why they are there, but ......!!!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

WHY do they insist of giving us 1/2 an hour of opera and assorted music before the ballet starts? If I'd wanted opera I would have paid for it.

To make sure the stream works and people know they are in the right place? The performance started at the stated time I thought.

This event is scheduled to begin at 7.30pm GMT on 13 November 2020. 

Edited by oncnp

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Quite a lot of technical terms were correctly spelt but some were wildly inaccurate. In some cases I couldn't relate the words on screen to what I heard

I guess this is what happens when you use software which hasn't been trained to an individual speaker's voice, and probably doesn't have a dictionary containing all the technical ballet terms!  Ironically enough, I spent quite a bit of this afternoon "attending" a webinar where a representative of a major subtitling company was discussing how they work :)

• Like 1