ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE PERFORMANCES AUTUMN 2020

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I don't know about anyone else, but all this chatter about booking etc, is making me ridiculously excited!!

And I’m not even trying to book - do hope people get the tickets they want and still hoping there might be some live streaming or recording for later transmission.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Are you able to share any details you have been able to glean of programmes and casts, capybara?

If the story that just broke in The Times and has been picked up by Reuters (and the reported PM's press conference supposedly to take place on Monday) is true, I fear the matter may - just may - be academic.   (Indeed, such spectres may well have been one reason casting and other details were not announced in advance.)  Let's hope for all the rightful excitement expressed here that it is not the case.  Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Just now, Bruce Wall said:

If the story that just broke in The Times and has been picked up by Reuters (and the PM's press conference on Monday) is true, I fear the matter just may be academic.   Let's hope for all the rightful excitement expressed here that it is not.  

Yes, just listening to the review of the papers which have different versions of lockdown type restrictions, but all with dire implications.

What must dancers be thinking? It could be heartbreaking!

• Like 2

Just got my newspaper through the letterbox announcing a new national lockdown - I won't put what I feel in words as it might offend!

I will be so disappointed for everyone - particularly the dancers and other staff at the Royal Ballet and elsewhere. 

I suppose we shall just have to see what restrictions are imposed and hope for the best. 

Edited by MJW
spelling
  • Like 1

My heart goes out to all of you in the UK. I’m afraid that we’re headed in the same direction here, certainly in the Wash, DC, area...added to COVID, the fears of demonstrations for many reasons (economy, elections, BLM) have prompted all downtown DC merchants to board-up buildings. It all ties together.

6 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think we must plan for the worst.  As a Northerner living under T3 I'm afraid I think this is what the country as a whole needs.

Some places have still only got 20 cases per 100000 though. I think we need to take a very close look at why measures haven’t worked in some places and tackle the causes. I think it’s going to be very difficult to get sufficient support countrywide for a lockdown to make it work. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Peony said:

Some places have still only got 20 cases per 100000 though. I think we need to take a very close look at why measures haven’t worked in some places and tackle the causes. I think it’s going to be very difficult to get sufficient support countrywide for a lockdown to make it work. 

I'm afraid it appears that commonsense has gone out the window! 

• Like 2

Probably all got a different opinion about whether this is the right course of action based on the evidence on transmission. But regardless, sorry to all those who got so close to actually seeing a live performance. Hopefully it will be a case of rescheduling rather than cancelling them

• Like 2

I hope that the RB dancers who were due to perform on Wednesday (and onwards) are informed quickly as to what will happen.

Weekend announcements often prolong the agony and the situation is dire enough without their having to process added uncertainty.

I guess that we would all like to have the divertissements evenings rescheduled rather than cancelled? 

(Same goes for the ENB shows at SW and those of other companies. They can do without the added expense of handling thousands of refunds.)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, capybara said:

I hope that the RB dancers who were due to perform on Wednesday (and onwards) are informed quickly as to what will happen.

Weekend announcements often prolong the agony and the situation is dire enough without their having to process added uncertainty.

If I'm reading correctly the full details will be announced on Tuesday so doesn't give them much time. 

15 minutes ago, oncnp said:

If I'm reading correctly the full details will be announced on Tuesday so doesn't give them much time. 

Theatres will be closed. The Govt. timetable is in order to build in  a parliamentary debate and vote.

All companies surely have contingency plans in place against a range of possible scenarios.

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

Theatres will be closed. The Govt. timetable is in order to build in  a parliamentary debate and vote.

All companies surely have contingency plans in place against a range of possible scenarios.

Understand about the theatres being closed. What I was wondering was whether the dancers could still come in to rehearse (i.e. can save Nutcracker?). Travel seems to be permitted when can't work from home.