painful foot

Spacy

I would recommend seeing a medical professional. If it hurts when the foot is pointed, then it will hurt on releve/demi pointe and any problem in the ankle like this sounds like there's something getting squashed/trapped in what is essentially a structure that is already pretty compressed in the pointed position.

Staying away from anything that puts stress on the ankle at the moment is a sensible option, as is trying to stretch out the calf muscles (although if it replicates the pain, ease off). Take care when performing the calf stretch standing up, both feet should point forwards, both should be parallel. Many people do this stretch incorrectly and allow the back foot to turn out, and since that is the one that you are stretching, it's important to make sure it's completely parallel. You could also try a little massage to the back of the heel if the problem isn't causing too much pain - this might help ease any tension there.

Perhaps the issue might resolve itself with self care and activity modification, but if in any doubt, get it looked at - while we can advise, we can't actually say what the right course of action is without a full assessment in person!

• 4 years later...

I am going to repeat here a comment I have made in another topic:-

Word of advice....take care when seeing professionals who have little/no experience of dancers/sportspeople. We saw a podiatrist when heel pain struck who basically said straight off don't expect to ever dance again. The fear & panic that a massive life change may be enforced onto a child was awful & incredibly tactless & inept I thought. However, a change of daily footwear (away from dreadful flatter than flat Velcro fastened shoes), paying more attention to stance, leg alignment & reminding not to roll all helped improve the situation swiftly - as did just settling into the new height/body shape after growth spurt. If we need advice/help/physio again I would certainly seek out a dance/sports specific professional & steer away from those whom mostly see Johnny Average.

• Like 4