The conspiracy of silence

29 minutes ago, balletbean said:

We too may have experienced the same school. My DD would have only turned 16, just 8 weeks before the start of term. The person in question brushed off our concerns stating ‘well if they were in a ballet company it’s the norm’. Eeerr, that may well be the case but girls & boys do not join a ballet company just after their 16th birthday. They require a safe and nurturing environment to allow them to mature both physically and mentally to prepare them for what the future holds. We went elsewhere. 

I had that said to me about my 12 year old!! Thankfully the member of senior management who was also at the meeting stepped in before I could, reprimanded the teacher and pointed out we were talking about a child! 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This definitely seems to have parallels with the abuse of gymnasts highlighted in "Athlete A". What I find most shocking is that in both situations it was almost an open secret, yet the (alleged) abusers carried on getting away with it for years and years. Infuriating and sad...

• Like 1

Sadly many become aware of the culture of these schools too late and often after harm has been done. 

That said,  there are some excellent schools and teachers out there, but in the current climate it’s difficult to know which are which.  There is no transparency.  Everything is constantly kept so secret, even on forums such as this we are all too aware of the limitations. 

But we don’t have to sit back and take it.  If you want to help you can message me or follow me on twitter. 

Sharing information is so important when making decisions that impact our children. 

• Like 1
On 28/08/2020 at 06:29, cornishprincess said:

taxi4ballet: Yes. At 16 young people need a greater level of pastoral care and as you say the places in my experience which offer a degree do not seem to take this into account. I was appalled on the audition circuit when my dd who would only just have turned 16 was expected to be as mature and accountable as an 18/19 year old...coming from a small town and going to a large city, I was not happy when the principal of one school said that they took no responsibility for the pastoral care of their students once off the school property. The school had no dedicated accommodation or facilities other than beautiful studios. She went elsewhere

From the experience of my dd it is also a question of the level of pastoral care provided by the schools attached housing set up as well. The whole concept of pastoral care across the school needs attention. The idea a school can say we have done enough for the students - or that they had more attention than any other etc - fails to recognise that all students have different pastoral and mental health issues at different times. The system needs to be flexible and accommodating. A duty of care is a human issue and a moral one too. The schools inspectorate needs to look further and question more widely. 

• Like 2
  • Anna C locked this topic
  • Anna C unlocked this topic

Some good news for once...according to The Stage

"The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland has stepped in to help students of the now-closed Ballet West continue their training by opening up last-minute audition places.

Young dancers who were studying at Ballet West have already been auditioned by the Glasgow conservatoire, which plans to offer them places for the coming academic year."

• Like 13
1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Some good news for once...according to The Stage

"The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland has stepped in to help students of the now-closed Ballet West continue their training by opening up last-minute audition places.

Young dancers who were studying at Ballet West have already been auditioned by the Glasgow conservatoire, which plans to offer them places for the coming academic year."

Elmhurst has also been offering last minute places for anyone as some students cannot, for whatever reason, take up their places.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

On behalf of my dd, I would like to express my huge gratitude to Bath Spa University for ensuring that she was awarded her degree in classical ballet following the closure of BW. The certificate arrived today. Wishing happy landings to all the other students.

• Like 21