Jump to content

Recommended Posts

With virtually all of this years summer intensives cancelled, understandably I’m sure there are many of us who would love to look forward to opportunities next year in the hope that the world will be a little brighter by then. I am interested to know if your DC had a place at a summer Intensive this year, what has been offered to you, eg have you automatically been given a place for 2021 or the whole course refunded and cancelled and you have to reapply as if you were a new candidate?
 

My dd will be 10 next summer so the magical age where most intensives start accepting children, although I am wondering if most or all places for some of them may already be allocated. I am particularly looking at Yorkshire Ballet Seminars as we were keen to audition to try and get a scholarship, although I’m wondering if none will be available now? Or perhaps this years will be carried over and a new allocation given out of the 2021 funding? Have Royal Ballet carried forward places to next year, or will all places have to be reapplied for? Very interested to know your experiences😀 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My DD was 14 and due to attend the RBS summer intensive at White Lodge.  The course was completely cancelled and an online intensive was offered, this was open to anyone and no audition was necessary (only that it wasn't for beginners).  My DD did two weeks of classes as this was what she had planned anyway.   My understanding for RBS was that my DD would be required to audition for 2021 intensives as normal.   However, DD has been very fortunate and has been selected by the Artistic team (who were watching all the online classes) awarded a 'Direct Entry' for one RBS intensive next year without audition or application fee.  I'm not sure how many of these awards were given and who to.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tired dance mummy said:

My DD was 14 and due to attend the RBS summer intensive at White Lodge.  The course was completely cancelled and an online intensive was offered, this was open to anyone and no audition was necessary (only that it wasn't for beginners).  My DD did two weeks of classes as this was what she had planned anyway.   My understanding for RBS was that my DD would be required to audition for 2021 intensives as normal.   However, DD has been very fortunate and has been selected by the Artistic team (who were watching all the online classes) awarded a 'Direct Entry' for one RBS intensive next year without audition or application fee.  I'm not sure how many of these awards were given and who to.

Wow, that’s amazing that your daughter was awarded direct entry, what a lovely reward for her hard work. I think that’s a really nice touch that they awarded some of those and hopefully that softens the blow a bit for missing out on this years course. X

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dancing unicorn said:

For me personally, I think your best bet for a 10yr old next year, Malvern Ballet summer intensive would be ideal! Very welcoming, fab classes and more fun!

I think YBSS scholarships mostly go to older students! 

This is very helpful, thank you so much. I will check them out. It’s good to have realistic expectations if she is unlikely to get a scholarship then, thank you x

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BellaF said:

My DD, 10 next year,  will be at Malvern. She hasn’t been before (though was booked in for both Easter and summer this year) but sounds such a lovely week! 

Ooh, that does look amazing. Would your dd board? We are 2.5 hours away so would either have to board or make a holiday out of it for the whole family! 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

Ooh, that does look amazing. Would your dd board? We are 2.5 hours away so would either have to board or make a holiday out of it for the whole family! 😀


Yes she’ll board - from what I understand there’s a few of that age who do and they try and room them together 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BellaF said:


Yes she’ll board - from what I understand there’s a few of that age who do and they try and room them together 😊

Ok awesome, we will definitely bare that in mind and I’ll get in touch with you if we book😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

My DD was due to go to YBSS this year. When it was cancelled, the email said that everyone’s places were to be transferred to  2021 as well as all bursaries and scholarships. Obviously there will be people who can’t make it next year, so there is a  cut off point (jan 2021 I think) to confirm that you still want your place/ scholarship. There are also people on the waiting list, so am guessing that there will be very few places left open after this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, margarite said:

My DD was due to go to YBSS this year. When it was cancelled, the email said that everyone’s places were to be transferred to  2021 as well as all bursaries and scholarships. Obviously there will be people who can’t make it next year, so there is a  cut off point (jan 2021 I think) to confirm that you still want your place/ scholarship. There are also people on the waiting list, so am guessing that there will be very few places left open after this. 

That makes sense, and definitely seems very fair. At least I know to write it off for next year and think about applying for 2022! ☺️

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tired dance mummy said:

   However, DD has been very fortunate and has been selected by the Artistic team (who were watching all the online classes) awarded a 'Direct Entry' for one RBS intensive next year without audition or application fee.  I'm not sure how many of these awards were given and who to.

My DD 15 was also supposed to attend White Lodge SI20, attended many of the virtual sessions and got a Direct Entry award to Covent Garden for 2021.  Emotional year, SI20 would have been her 2nd and last year at White Lodge.  She wasn't thrilled about virtual, but I encouraged her anyway as it seems RBS is always looking for and awarding dancers who attend FT auditions, Master Classes, etc.  So this really gave a boost to her motivation and confidence.  Congrats tired dance mummy to your DD!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MPatti said:

My DD 15 was also supposed to attend White Lodge SI20, attended many of the virtual sessions and got a Direct Entry award to Covent Garden for 2021.  Emotional year, SI20 would have been her 2nd and last year at White Lodge.  She wasn't thrilled about virtual, but I encouraged her anyway as it seems RBS is always looking for and awarding dancers who attend FT auditions, Master Classes, etc.  So this really gave a boost to her motivation and confidence.  Congrats tired dance mummy to your DD!

Oh wow, that’s so lovely and what a great reward to look forward to for next year😀 It’s really lovely to hear that these rewards have been given out, and even in less than ideal circumstances, there’s still a silver lining🤗 x

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PurplePirouette said:

That makes sense, and definitely seems very fair. At least I know to write it off for next year and think about applying for 2022! ☺️

I wouldn't write it off! If the scholarship auditions go ahead for next summer and a venue is 'do-able' for you, I would definitely go for it! At the very least you have had a fantastic class led by a wonderful teacher and the shot of a funded place as a bonus! My dd always enjoyed the audition classes and loved the whole YBSS experience hugely! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mimi'smom said:

I wouldn't write it off! If the scholarship auditions go ahead for next summer and a venue is 'do-able' for you, I would definitely go for it! At the very least you have had a fantastic class led by a wonderful teacher and the shot of a funded place as a bonus! My dd always enjoyed the audition classes and loved the whole YBSS experience hugely! 

I did notice that it mentioned ‘pop up events’ on their website so I’ll definitely keep an eye out for those. Any experience would be a bonus! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...