Ballet video essays - Swan Lake

Hello guys,

For the past 6 months, I've been giving a lot of thought to the idea that while YouTube is full of millennial people with art education backgrounds breaking down multiple avenues of art, nobody is doing it for ballet. I understand that there are many reasons why this is the case, not the least of which is that ballet is somewhat harder to access than, for example, MCU movies. 

Then, I was laid off at the beginning of the pandemic so I found myself with plenty of free time to ponder this further. 

So, I have put my own art education background and my free time, with my passion for ballet. Also keep in mind that I'm from a small country in Latin America so over the years I've gotten used to researching ballet on my own as the avenues for profound conversations around it are non existent (unlike many of you in London who get to attend insight sessions at the ROH). So through my own academic background, I've been used to doing this type of analysis, just maybe not in this format.

I would like nothing more than to make many other videos about ballets, I have a list of many that I'd like to discuss. But my main goal is to get more conversations about ballet started in formats that are hopefully easier for people to access and so that more background about why ballet is where it is today is talked about. I am sure I don't know all the background and as with any essay, it's impossible to focus on absolutely everything about your subject so I welcome commentary, thoughts about the topics and hopefully one day we can end up with having at least a portion of people talking about ballet in the same way that they talk about other mediums through big platforms like Youtube. 

So, having said all of that, I'd like to share my first video essay with all of you. I decided to start with Swan Lake for many reasons but ultimately, because I love it. It is a bit long, but if you have time to watch it, I'd appreciate it tremendously. 

• Like 6