RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Ballerinamum said:

I don't want to click the links as it says to only look at them once (when recording). Will they need a ballet barre and how much space would you say they need please?

no you don't need a barre, or much space, we used our lounge which has a carpet so not ideal but our kitchen wasn't big enough, i would click on it just to watch the intro (without your child) i found it helpful for me to set it up before we filmed as i knew what to expect, i didnt watch the full thing, hth

6 minutes ago, Ballerinamum said:

I don't want to click the links as it says to only look at them once (when recording). Will they need a ballet barre and how much space would you say they need please?

They don’t need a barre or any other equipment and they don’t really need any space to move as the whole audition is done on the spot! I know that sounds odd, but it will made sense when you see it! They have to be able to lay down flat to the side and front but that is the most space you will need😊 Good luck! 

Yes as long as you can get their full body in shot if they lie down sideways on to the camera that is all the room you need. It is all very basic positions and exercises, you don't need much room at all. Hope it goes well! 

I’ve been trying not to count the weeks but I’ve given up and come searching - we were group 1 London - anyone heard yet?

i do think I must be pretty impossible for them with thousands of videos and not seeing anyone in person plus loads of children with potential and so few slots. So I’m expecting a no.... but I’d just like to know!

Thanks!

Yes we are also group 1 and finding this wait agonising now! I really thought we’d have heard by now. The video applications for year 6 places across all 9 centres were turned around in 19 days and we are now on day 25, I really thought there would be less videos for London 4&5🤷🏻‍♀️ Also, people have reported that their group 2 videos have been watched, which you would think they wouldn’t do before having group 1 done and dusted. I really hope we hear soon because, even though we are expecting a no like last year, I want to be able to forget about this and move on! Here’s hoping it won’t be too much longer now🤞 

4 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

Yes we are also group 1 and finding this wait agonising now! I really thought we’d have heard by now. The video applications for year 6 places across all 9 centres were turned around in 19 days and we are now on day 25, I really thought there would be less videos for London 4&5🤷🏻‍♀️ Also, people have reported that their group 2 videos have been watched, which you would think they wouldn’t do before having group 1 done and dusted. I really hope we hear soon because, even though we are expecting a no like last year, I want to be able to forget about this and move on! Here’s hoping it won’t be too much longer now🤞 

Hi. We are Group 2 and I don’t think ours have been watched yet and my DD friend hasn’t either. I say don’t think as I am not convinced the views are not mine and I can’t work out the analytics. 😂

Someone posted you will hear 1 month after deadline so 1st Oct. Group 2 will be 14th. I am only guessing here but wouldn’t London be the largest group so maybe just taking a long time to decide?
I think my daughter would have done better in a class audition as she tends to follow her dance teachers instructions better than her mother’s (as we found out in lockdown).  She really wants a place but she got annoyed with my technical incompetence and it was written all over her face. 🤷🏼‍♀️

My daughter’s the same - she’d have performed better with others to ‘bounce’ off. I think she found dancing alone more of a challenge because she was less inclined to perform it without others there to perform with, and because she felt very exposed when she inevitably made little mistakes which made her a bit flustered. We’re just taking it as a worthwhile first experience and she’d like to audition elsewhere this year if possible once we hear from them, and try again for JAs next year 😊

I was until all of this! Tring Park have auditions later in the year (but I’d imagine those places are extremely limited since they’d have filled most in their summer) and I’m waiting to hear from my daughter’s dance teacher about others (but since she’s just had a beautiful baby I’m not pushing it!) I think we’ll end up applying for Tring, RB and ballet boost next year, and seeing how we get on 😊

23 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi. We are Group 2 and I don’t think ours have been watched yet and my DD friend hasn’t either. I say don’t think as I am not convinced the views are not mine and I can’t work out the analytics. 😂

Someone posted you will hear 1 month after deadline so 1st Oct. Group 2 will be 14th. I am only guessing here but wouldn’t London be the largest group so maybe just taking a long time to decide?
I think my daughter would have done better in a class audition as she tends to follow her dance teachers instructions better than her mother’s (as we found out in lockdown).  She really wants a place but she got annoyed with my technical incompetence and it was written all over her face. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes, although they usually give themselves longer than it takes, for example they say for the “real life” auditions that you can expect to hear by the end of June/early July but last year all of the results had been received by 21st June and some as early as 9th I think it was. London will be the largest individual location, although I’d have thought all of year 6 would have been more? I think the hardest part is that there will be so many strong candidates for London that they may want to offer the second choice centre to, but without having seen the other groups they won’t get know what the standard is across the board so it would be difficult to do that until having seen all of the groups. Perhaps we will still be sitting here waiting in November🤣

Edited by PurplePirouette
Clarification
1 minute ago, MamaFrosty said:

It looks incredible - she’s keen to do a residential there, do you have any experience of those? 

No, not yet unfortunately. We were looking into applying for the summer course this year but then Covid got in the way of that. She did, however, manage to do some of the online summer classes which was great as you could pick which genres you wanted to do across the week. All of the teachers were from the full time faculty and were all incredible and lovely so I found that very encouraging. 😊 

It was me who emailed the RBS to ask when results would be out! My daughters 1st choice was London 24 weeks and 2nd was Eastleigh so that's why I asked as I wondered if we'd have to wait until all of the auditions were over because of second choices. But no, they said 1 month after submission closing date for each group. So that would mean 4 weeks is up next Tuesday and 1 calendar month next Thursday. I really thought we may hear this week though!

We've just booked my daughter and her friend onto the Tring summer residential for next year - looks great and comes highly recommended from another parent who's daughter has just started fulltime at Elmhurst.

I'm finding the wait agonising too!  I also don't understand how they figure out second choices etc as our first choice is London, group 1, and second choice Eastleigh, which I think is group 4?

Perhaps if you didn’t get eg London but it was a close call they give you SWL and then reconsider you along with the candidates for your second choice? No idea though, just guessing...

1 hour ago, PurplePirouette said:

Yes, although they usually give themselves longer than it takes, for example they say for the “real life” auditions that you can expect to hear by the end of June/early July but last year all of the results had been received by 21st June and some as early as 9th I think it was. London will be the largest individual location, although I’d have thought all of year 6 would have been more? I think the hardest part is that there will be so many strong candidates for London that they may want to offer the second choice centre to, but without having seen the other groups they won’t get know what the standard is across the board so it would be difficult to do that until having seen all of the groups. Perhaps we will still be sitting here waiting in November🤣

If they move you to a different centre it seems to be done via SWL, then a phonecall coming through very quickly (days later) offering the alternative centre. Good luck everyone!

On the email notifying us it was to be a video audition, I interpreted that as it was our first choice centres only and they weren’t even going to look at second choice as it says our centre choices can’t be changed. Has anyone else thought the same? 

Because of the sheer volume of videos we will therefore have to assess, we are going to break the process down based on your first choice centre. Your centre choices can no longer be changed.

1 hour ago, RachH said:

We've just booked my daughter and her friend onto the Tring summer residential for next year - looks great and comes highly recommended from another parent who's daughter has just started fulltime at Elmhurst.

@RachH is that the course from 1st - 5th August with different styles of dance? I was looking at the website earlier thinking that sounded good and wondering whether to go with that one or the Rad London one.

(Sorry off topic!)

Good luck to everyone waiting for results 🤞🤞

6 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

@RachH is that the course from 1st - 5th August with different styles of dance? I was looking at the website earlier thinking that sounded good and wondering whether to go with that one or the Rad London one.

(Sorry off topic!)

Good luck to everyone waiting for results 🤞🤞

It's this one on 15th-19th (lots of different types of dance): https://www.tringpark.com/associated-courses/summer-dance-course-2-2020

We're also looking at her auditioning for Paris (POB) summer school as we have friends there we could stay with - but not holding out much hope - I think is as hard as RBS to get into! Maybe RAD earlier on in the summer as an alternative - she was down to do that this year.

My daughter was supposed to be doing EYB Swan Lake this summer but it got postponed to next July - so there will be lots on if hopefully it all goes ahead!

• Like 1
Just now, RachH said:

It's this one on 15th-19th (lots of different types of dance): https://www.tringpark.com/associated-courses/summer-dance-course-2-2020

We're also looking at her auditioning for Paris (POB) summer school as we have friends there we could stay with - but not holding out much hope - I think is as hard as RBS to get into! Maybe RAD earlier on in the summer as an alternative - she was down to do that this year.

My daughter was supposed to be doing EYB Swan Lake this summer but it got postponed to next July - so there will be lots on if hopefully it all goes ahead!

Thanks for all the info, I only just discovered EYB but it looks like there will be no auditions for a long time as they are doing all the postponed classes this year. Fingers crossed this all goes ahead with all these new lockdowns. My DD started back at Elmhurst last week after 6 months break. I think I will book Tring, it sounds great to try all the different styles of dance. I see they have the two dates for the same course and also one in Easter.

Paris sounds amazing!

32 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

On the email notifying us it was to be a video audition, I interpreted that as it was our first choice centres only and they weren’t even going to look at second choice as it says our centre choices can’t be changed. Has anyone else thought the same? 

Because of the sheer volume of videos we will therefore have to assess, we are going to break the process down based on your first choice centre. Your centre choices can no longer be changed.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly but I thought when I submitted the videos the form asked for first and second choice again? But I might be misremembering as I was stressed about all the techy bits! 

7 minutes ago, Millicent said:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly but I thought when I submitted the videos the form asked for first and second choice again? But I might be misremembering as I was stressed about all the techy bits! 

Ha yes you are right. It did. It’s probably just me interpreting it incorrectly! 

5 minutes ago, SarahG1881 said:

Hi. We’re group 4 so no info yet but is a lot of space needed for the improv section or are they to do it on knees/on the spot? 
thinking ahead for the best place to film

It’s on their knees so not much room needed :)