RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

1 hour ago, meadowblythe said:

To all the SWLs/not yets

I can still feel, reading this thread, the mixed emotions of a SWL offer for a year 4 place for DS.  Especially when the only other boy in his school got a place.

My tiny August born son is now rehearsing Rothbart and the Rat King - he may not get to dance Rothbart as he is only(!) 6 foot tall, about the same height as the ballerina dancing Odette. But my point is, you are at the beginning of a long and exciting journey.   At times you may  not  be  tall enough, or too tall, or too flexible (he was!) or not flexible enough (he is now!).

Ballet is a harsh task master.  Be kind to yourself and your children.  Cherish good health and good memories made along the way.

Thank you for your lovely and inspiring message! And many congratulations to your son! You must be so proud of him! ❤️

• Like 2

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Millicent said:

Well done to the yeses!

@BellaF that makes me wonder if the analytics aren't actually very accurate as I'd be so surprised they would give out a yes after having watched less than 10% of the audition. So pleased for you.

there are  three piles for applications  

'hell  yes'  , 'hell no'   and  ' perhaps' ... 

and  revisit the 'perhaps'  when you know what places you have left after the 'hell yeses'

5 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

To all the SWLs/not yets

I can still feel, reading this thread, the mixed emotions of a SWL offer for a year 4 place for DS.  Especially when the only other boy in his school got a place.

My tiny August born son is now rehearsing Rothbart and the Rat King - he may not get to dance Rothbart as he is only(!) 6 foot tall, about the same height as the ballerina dancing Odette. But my point is, you are at the beginning of a long and exciting journey.   At times you may  not  be  tall enough, or too tall, or too flexible (he was!) or not flexible enough (he is now!).

Ballet is a harsh task master.  Be kind to yourself and your children.  Cherish good health and good memories made along the way.

Thank you that is lovely to read. It makes me sad because my DD really is such a beautiful dancer. Her musicality is wonderful, she is graceful and she has this amazing ability to watch a dance/routine once and just perform it. But I know that her body is just not that classical ballet shape and we can't change that. I'm sure she has a future in dance of some sort and she is so passionate about it. Who knows what the future holds! 🥰

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Spamcat said:

Thank you that is lovely to read. It makes me sad because my DD really is such a beautiful dancer. Her musicality is wonderful, she is graceful and she has this amazing ability to watch a dance/routine once and just perform it. But I know that her body is just not that classical ballet shape and we can't change that. I'm sure she has a future in dance of some sort and she is so passionate about it. Who knows what the future holds! 🥰

This really shows the limits of the JA audition - even more so in a video year! Not much chance to show off musicality etc but thankfully that changes further up the years. Sure your DD will get to wherever she wants in the future, she sounds a lovely dancer.

Edited by BellaF
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Spamcat said:

I could have wrote this myself. My dd really is an incredible dancer. She has won scholarships for her ballet, several awards at festivals for her ballet solo and people say when they watch her dance they forget everything that is going on around her because she just sucks you in. I feel a little cheated by the whole experience and I’m just glad it hasn’t knocked her confidence. She wants to try again so we will I just prey it isn’t via video! 

• Like 4