RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

It’s so hard. They have really specific requirements regarding turnout and flexibility, and a child that doesn’t meet these would have to be absolutely magical to watch to get in without meeting these requirements. There was a girl in DD’s JA class with really limited turnout, but she was stunning to watch so they tried really hard to work with her issues. Ultimately, she didn’t make it into MAs, but it was easy to see why they wanted to help her.

With so many videos to watch, they couldn’t possibly spend time watching children that do not fulfil the criteria. The £50 fee is for the admin process and for them to be considered, but no one would expect them to keep watching if they know that a place will not be allocated to that child.

Children change a lot from one year to the next, and a ‘no’ one year can become a ‘yes’ later. RBS is not the only school, and ballet is not the only dance form, but the process is universally tough, and the first knock backs can be hard to accept.

Although it is also really sad to think that a child who was so stunning didn't make it. I hope she made it somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Yellowbutterfly said:

My DD got a yes for year 4! Actually can’t quite believe it, we went in with absolutely no expectations whatsoever. She is over the moon! 

Bittersweet though, as my eldest tried 3 times to get in, but never made it, so I know how the parents and littles ones who didnt get in feel. Eldest DD did go on to Elmhurst associate classes which she loved- there is more than RB out there. 

I have no idea at all what the RB look for, as both my daughters are beautiful dancers. The great unknown!   

Congratulations 🥳 

1 hour ago, The red shoes said:

My son is year 6 Birmingham . There are two in his class and I think 2 in the 24 sessions classes

There are only 4 Year 6 boys in Birmingham? Wow, so few for what should be a relatively big centre. 

7 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Although it is also really sad to think that a child who was so stunning didn't make it. I hope she made it somewhere else.

There are so many beautiful dancers out there. Vocational ballet training is only one way of making it, but is perhaps also the most difficult to access. Talent, anatomy, dedication and passion all need to line up. All essential, and difficult to change if not there. There are lots of ways to enjoy a career in dance though. Ballet is just one of them. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

There are only 4 Year 6 boys in Birmingham? Wow, so few for what should be a relatively big centre. 

Yes we indeed, there were more last year for sure. All the year 6 Birmingham boys got places at either White Lodge or Elmhurst... they did very well! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Yes we indeed, there were more last year for sure. All the year 6 Birmingham boys got places at either White Lodge or Elmhurst... they did very well! 

So those 4 boys presumably ‘rose’ from Y5 into Y6. That must mean there are very few, if any, boys spaces available for Y4 and Y5. Sounds like Birmingham is full! 

36 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

It’s so hard. They have really specific requirements regarding turnout and flexibility, and a child that doesn’t meet these would have to be absolutely magical to watch to get in without meeting these requirements. There was a girl in DD’s JA class with really limited turnout, but she was stunning to watch so they tried really hard to work with her issues. Ultimately, she didn’t make it into MAs, but it was easy to see why they wanted to help her.

With so many videos to watch, they couldn’t possibly spend time watching children that do not fulfil the criteria. The £50 fee is for the admin process and for them to be considered, but no one would expect them to keep watching if they know that a place will not be allocated to that child.

Children change a lot from one year to the next, and a ‘no’ one year can become a ‘yes’ later. RBS is not the only school, and ballet is not the only dance form, but the process is universally tough, and the first knock backs can be hard to accept.

I completely get all of that. However our first video was only viewed for the first 28 seconds- she hadn’t even moved off the spot by then 😂 I firmly believe everything happens for a reason and she’s so happy at Elmhurst that I don’t think she would have moved anyway but I do wonder about this process. £50 is a lot more money than any other audition we have taken part in, yet this was the only one not conducted via zoom 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

So those 4 boys presumably ‘rose’ from Y5 into Y6. That must mean there are very few, if any, boys spaces available for Y4 and Y5. Sounds like Birmingham is full! 

There are only a handful of boys in year 5 in Birmingham at the moment , 4 or 5 I’d say 

3 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

There are only a handful of boys in year 5 in Birmingham at the moment , 4 or 5 I’d say 

So there’s potentially space for 1 or 2 more maybe. Though with Covid restrictions maybe they’re already at capacity. I shall drive myself thoroughly mad always questioning and never knowing 😂 

I think the kids (and we!) have to accept that this year could be more of a challenge due to COVID restrictions, and keep remembering that every experience will be helping them to develop not just as dancers but as lovely people who are able to accept rejection, pick themselves up and try again. My DD was terribly disappointed but is determined to keep trying and that, for me, is an incredible lesson to learn - particularly as she struggles with the social and emotional side of things. 

Huge congratulations to those who got a yes!! 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Dancemum100 said:

I completely get all of that. However our first video was only viewed for the first 28 seconds- she hadn’t even moved off the spot by then 😂 I firmly believe everything happens for a reason and she’s so happy at Elmhurst that I don’t think she would have moved anyway but I do wonder about this process. £50 is a lot more money than any other audition we have taken part in, yet this was the only one not conducted via zoom 🤷🏻‍♀️

Frustrating for you - but as you say - maybe it is meant to be.  

Your dd must be very talented to have been chosen by Elmhurst.

At least you do not have to make a difficult decision of having to chose between the two!

46 minutes ago, Dancemum100 said:

Do you know it was actually the first 28 seconds or was it just 28 seconds in total? The first 28 seconds they are just stood still listening! 

11 hours ago, Isabella said:

Maybe an obvious question but if decisions are being made in a short amount of time due to physical attributes, what will these be? What is the look? Or is that the golden question? 

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to this. Although the obvious would be slim build, long legs, flexible, good turnout etc. My DD got in for Y4 and she is really tall, wouldn't look out of place in Y6, and the other girl I know who got in is tiny, very petite. They don't look anything alike next to each other.

i think it would have been a nice touch if the RBS auditions team had explained about reduced numbers etc, we've all paid a fee and the children all gave it their best shot in difficult circumstances, i don't think it would have been difficult for them to release a bit more info! its like the secret service with no one really knowing whats going on or how many places are available! or maybe im just nosey 🤣

• Like 2

My daughter (as many others do) has all of the physical attributes you would expect they would want. Slim, great feet, great turnout and flexibility but she still got a no. I think it just boils down to number of places. There just aren’t enough for the number of children which apply. I don’t think we should be disheartened with the no’s. I am definitely of the belief it just means ‘not yet’.

It was suggested by our teacher that we audition this year but we missed the closing date. Luckily they reopened the applications in June and we applied then. We are looking at this as (a very expensive) practise run. We know what to expect now. We know what to work on and will try again next year. If it’s still a no, then that’s just not meant to be for her and we will look at other options. I personally feel it has taught my daughter that although she has been blessed with all the physical attributes which will help her in ballet, you still need to work hard. It is her second ever audition after successfully gaining a place at Ballet Boost in summer and she even mentioned on Monday that she hadn’t tried as hard for the Royal audition as she had for Ballet Boost so hopefully she might now realise if she really wants this then she needs to work for it. Don’t give up folks. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Candycakes82 said:

What was the deadline for submission of Group 2 videos? Just trying to work out whether they are speeding up (perhaps that’s being overly optimistic) 😂

Hi, deadline was a month ago for group 2. Good luck to all still waiting to hear.

My dd got a no again this year, she was ok about it thankfully. Also a bit disappointed with the whole process as £50 is fine for the proper audition as it is a great experience but not great to film it yourself and barely have the videos looked at. Not many (if any?) yr 5 places being offered, I wonder if with it being only 2 terms they are favouring the yr 4's?  

Congratulations to the yeses and the swl's and commiserations to the not yet, the main thing is that they all keep loving their dancing ❤ 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Any group 4’s had their videos “ viewed” yet? 

Not yet, do they normally view them as they are submitted or after the deadline?