Royal Opera House shop is back online

• 2 months later...

Perhaps this will be more to your taste, Richard?

Print on Demand

Seems like a very intelligent thing to do, and the products are all directly related to the ROH, unlike some of the previous offerings.

Of course, most of my all-time favourite posters aren't there, but perhaps they'll expand the range in due course.

"It's finally here!

We are thrilled to announce the launch of Print on Demand, our new service allowing you to have your favourite ROH posters professionally printed to adorn your home. Prints are available in four different sizes and can come ready framed, so all you have to do is unbox and admire."

13 minutes ago, alison said:

Perhaps this will be more to your taste, Richard?

Print on Demand

Seems like a very intelligent thing to do, and the products are all directly related to the ROH, unlike some of the previous offerings.

Of course, most of my all-time favourite posters aren't there, but perhaps they'll expand the range in due course.

"It's finally here!

We are thrilled to announce the launch of Print on Demand, our new service allowing you to have your favourite ROH posters professionally printed to adorn your home. Prints are available in four different sizes and can come ready framed, so all you have to do is unbox and admire."

This has actually been back for a couple of weeks (at least) so I too was hoping for an expansion of the range (may still happen) as none of the current offerings appear recent.  And almost none involve photography. There was an interesting discussion about rights and so on for photographs a while back and I wonder if that's why posters like the latest Swan Lake are not being offered. 

2 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm, I'm remembering a fairly recent Manon poster which had, I think, 3 different photos on it, and wondering whether they were all by the same photographer.  That could explain a lot.

yes, the production photographer hired by ROH (per production) usually photographs all casts (if possible), so those are the photos they would have used to make the composite poster.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, alison said:

Talking about the Print on Demand service, I couldn't find any indication anywhere of what sizes "small/medium/large" were supposed to represent.  Has anyone had more luck?

Go the print and click on "Specification" and it will give you the sizes. 

image.png.1729d075c3b0a4148018af6e031a06f7.png

Does the ROH even do posters anymore in this digital age? The last one I can remember is the 2018 Swan Lake.

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Does the ROH even do posters anymore in this digital age? The last one I can remember is the 2018 Swan Lake.

They must do I'm guessing (a bit) - to fill the glass 'cases' on the walls outside the ROH itself, and for tube station posters (though maybe not for a while as so many avoiding public transport at the mo). Not been into the shop a while, so don't know if those posters are for sale to J. Public anymore

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

They must do I'm guessing (a bit) - to fill the glass 'cases' on the walls outside the ROH itself, and for tube station posters (though maybe not for a while as so many avoiding public transport at the mo). Not been into the shop a while, so don't know if those posters are for sale to J. Public anymore

In the last year or so (through March) that I've been going regularly I've been struck by the absence of any kind of print advertising by the ROH. No posters in the Convent Garden or Leicester Sq stations, never seen anything on the tube itself and the outside cases of the ROH always seem to be a "What's On" list. The shop has a few old posters (the same as the print on demand). Perhaps they don't think (or know) its not a good return on advertising budget. 

2 minutes ago, alison said:

I do find it odd that they wouldn't advertise right outside the building, though.

They do have the "What's On" list (in small type for my old eyes at least) similar to the one near the shop but I've not seen anything  for a specific production (opera or ballet) and just thought it odd. Or its too expensive to produce. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The ‘sale’ prices of recordings seem out of touch with reality …

For instance, ENB Le Corsaire DVD with Alina Cojocaru and Vadim Muntagirov reduced to £19.99 from £24.99 in ROH shop when you can watch the same show on ‘ENB On Demand’ for £7.99 (though this is only 3 days access).

‘Dancer’ the movie about Sergei Polunin is reduced to £16.99 from £19.99 in ROH shop, when you can purchase permanent digital access for £7.99, or rent for 48 hours at £3.99

Is the shop physically open?  They’ll do better with walk-ins than savvy online shoppers.  

Digital access is always much cheaper, but of course you don't get anything physical. So many, including myself, much prefer DVDs. Even if it's possible to purchase a permanent download, it's all too easy to lose digital files over the course of a lifetime. 

I believe the physical shop is closed to help maintain social distancing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

The ‘sale’ prices of recordings seem out of touch with reality …

For instance, ENB Le Corsaire DVD with Alina Cojocaru and Vadim Muntagirov reduced to £19.99 from £24.99 in ROH shop when you can watch the same show on ‘ENB On Demand’ for £7.99 (though this is only 3 days access).

‘Dancer’ the movie about Sergei Polunin is reduced to £16.99 from £19.99 in ROH shop, when you can purchase permanent digital access for £7.99, or rent for 48 hours at £3.99

Clearly it's cheaper to go the On Demand route if you know you'll only want to watch the content twice at most, all my ballet blu rays get a frequent viewing. And as DanJL says digital files get either lost or completely forgotten about and if they are supplied by Apple they're a real pain to try and watch any way you want

Edited by Rob S

• 1 year later...

For holiday shopping Friends 

Plus, don’t forget Friends’ double discount day is on Monday 5 December

The code is in the latest Friend's e-mail. In-store and online.

Edited by oncnp

• 11 months later...