JulieW

News of non-dancing children.....

mph

Sorry not been on this thread for a very long time.

Non-DD has been lucky and works full-time in retail and has done so for some years.   She's worked in a call centre, Tesco's filling the trolleys for home delivery, Greggs making sandwiches etc. On one of her days off a week she volunteers at a local historic property as she is hoping this may lead to a more fulfilling occupation.  Retail is not a place where I would like to be working at the moment.  Her shifts are awful.  Last night she worked until 10:00pm, got home 10:30 went to be and had to be in for 08:00 this morning to open up.  The latest trend is for customers to complain about a member of staff and they get sent a discount voucher for their next visit.  The staff are constantly being treated in an appalling manner by the customers and it is very frustrating as Head Office always take the side of the customer.  I can't wait for her to find something more worthwhile.  On a positive note it's made me far more aware of how I speak to sales staff - I've always been that way but I make even more of an effort now.

She would love to work in a library or be involved in curatorship at a museum or stately home - but unfortunately you need to have taken the appropriate degree.  Had she done a joint/split degree in English & History she might have more chance but straight English is not helping her at the moment.  It's the gripe I have with education at the moment, not only does it seem everyone needs a degree but it must be the correct degree.

On the positive side she has a job and is earning.

• Like 4

Non-DD interviewed for a new job within the County Council library service on Monday. Pleased to say she's been offered the position. No more late shifts and no more entitled nasty customers - hurrah and more money!!  Downside is she now has to start paying back her student loan

• Like 13

Me and my son were over in Manchester on Wednesday for the Manchester Metropolitan Uni Open Day. Initially we had planned to scoot over to Liverpool as well but realised we wouldn't have had the time. As it was, we hardly had the time to see everything that was needed to be seen at the Uni. Our 10.25 flight got into M/CR at 11.25am. We couldn't get the earlier, 8.20 am one as there would have been no way of getting to the airport in time, having to be there two hours early. The first bus from Newry to Belfast doesn't start running till 6am, and the earliest train isn't until 7am. This is on weekdays. Our flight home was at 7.30 pm, but again we had to be at the airport for 5.30. The bus on Oxford Road in Manchester to the airport took over an hour. We should have taken the Metrolink but were trying to save money. So we had to leave the Uni when the day ended at 4pm, and waited ages for the bus. But it was only £3.40 each and would have cost a lot more on the tram , and £15 in a taxi, which we took when we arrived to save time. Sean loved everything about the university. It was very impressive, I must say. State of the art facilities in the Birley Campus in Hulme. No expense spared,really. Amazing looking computers all over. A lovely relaxing area outside,with nice tables and chairs and  gorgeous trees, and over the road the students were also relaxing in a lovely park. There was a strong smell of Weed wafting over from there, so someone was relaxing a bit too much, LOL ! Inside the main campus building there were little sleep pods dotted around the place with your own private little booth where students can just chill. A good few we saw were stretched out in their own individual ones, fast asleep. Fantastic lecture halls. The members of staff and students we spoke to were all very friendly and positive. We attended the Social Care talk and I thought it was great. A lovely man, who was clearly passionate and very committed to his subject. Then we noticed half an hour later in the same building there was a Primary Teaching information session so we went to that as well. Again, in a different lecture hall, but with great facilities and a lecturer who was very passionate about her subject. We decided to see the rest of the uni over in the main campus on Oxford Road. There's a great walkway they have built which links the Birley Campus on Stretford Road to the main campus on Oxford Road in the city centre. So we looked around a few of the other buildings too, including the Student Union. Again, impressive and lovely, helpful people. Felt a twinge of sadness to be leaving my home city when I was sitting on the plane to be honest. It's a good few years since I was last there; 8 or 9 I think. It would have been nice to be able to have spent a few days there. But we didn't have the money and we had to get back that evening for the cats, who we had left indoors with plenty of food, water and the cold water tap running in the bath, as Pumpkin likes drinking out of it. Got back home at about 11pm. Both cats were fast asleep and content enough, thank God. IF anything had happened and for some unexpected reason we had found ourselves having to stay overnight we had put a spare key in the front garden hidden from view. Sean would have phoned his friend who would have come down and let the cats out for us. But as it was they probably slept for most of the day indoors. It was the hottest day of the year and I wouldn't have felt happy about them being outside from 5.30 am until 11pm in that heat. As it was, we deliberately kept them out all night the night before, and called them it at 4 am. We knew from previous experience if they had been out all night they wouldn't have had much sleep and therefore would have slept for most of the day, oblivious to us not being there.  Sean found the Social Care talk boring. I told him it is pointless wasting his last precious two years of HE funding on a course he has no interest in. So he is thinking of asking them if he can defer for a year. There's a company called Teleperformance near us who are always looking for new people, no experience needed, for their call centre. They are recruiting for their Vodafone contract at the moment. He's seriously thinking of uploading his CV to them and giving it a try for a few months at least. His friend did it and hated it, ditto someone I know. They start off being very nice and then after a few weeks really start to pile on the pressure and expect more and more of you, including timing your toilet break etc. But the money's not bad and "Customer Service Adviser" would be another string to his bow, even if only for a few months. It's entirely up to him.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

My niece was forced onto a couple of call centre courses several years ago.  The reason they keep having these courses is because (especially if it is a cold-calling type centre) no-one can match the increasingly difficult targets after a couple of months.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

My niece was forced onto a couple of call centre courses several years ago.  The reason they keep having these courses is because (especially if it is a cold-calling type centre) no-one can match the increasingly difficult targets after a couple of months.

I know for this Company there is a two week training period. People ring them from all over. They think they are speaking to a customer service person from Vodaphone or whoever, but it's actually Teleperformance. Vodaphone customers ring up with a query of some sort and you have to type it into a computer screen and hopefully the answer to the customer's problem comes up. Think they have contracts with a few large companies. My ex boyfriend's ex, and mother of his two sons, worked for them for about 7 months. She told him the pay was good and you can work as many shifts as you want,up until about eleven o'clock at night if you wanted to, so the money is nice. But she said with the ones who have been there a few years and the management, there is a real clique between them all. But they always have an information stand in the Quays shopping centre, trying to interest people to work for them. They don't sound especially picky who they hire. I said if he goes for it to just keep an open mind and not to expect it to be some sort of dream job. I told him if he gets a few months experience and money out of it [ they are paid weekly, which is handy] there will be no harm to it.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

I agree, especially if he uses it as a fill-in till he starts Uni!

It sounds as though it isn't cold-calling, which is better.

• Like 1

Hasn't Sean been doing a social care course and correct me if wrong but wouldn't start with first year at university? Most of these talks and lectures at open days are based around first year level. He should bear that in mind if found it a bit boring. Also has he looked closely at what is taught in each term and what options he has? We found the information on the course pages. Gives a good insight of what to expect. Also if they have a recommended reading list worth asking your local library to get the books so he can see what the level is. 

My cats make it obvious that slept heavily if left at home alone for long periods, can hardly open eyes to greet you. 

• Like 1

Lovely catching up with these updates. Difficult times for our young people whether dancers or not, when it comes to work.

My youngest son has his provisional results from uni and he's got an overall mark of 67 giving him a 2:1. There a very slim chance that after the exam board he could get upgraded to a first as good marks have been on a steep upward curve this year, but he's (and we're) delighted with the 2:1. Final results next week and graduation the week after. Now to get a job! He's been applying to lots but he doesn't know what he wants to do (did Language Science & Psychology) - always thought he'd make a good teacher (English secondary/A level) so he's looking into that he also applying for entry admin positions and some retail stuff to just get some more work experience. He has an interview on Monday so keep your fingers crossed. 

Daughter happy doing her final year vet placements and feeling like a proper vet at last - but they all have a slightly petrified expression when you mention that they'll be qualified in a year lol.

• Like 9

Well that's it, son moved to London to start his new job on Monday. Provisional results from uni give him a first. Awaiting news of graduation. oh and youngest DD passed her driving test - so a busy week for news in this household!

• Like 6

Fantastic  2dancersmum. What a week!

My son got the job he was interviewed for this week. Will give him some great experience while he looks to the future. And we had a good discussion today about paying "rent". It's a fine balancing act between him paying his way and covering his costs, and us not sounding like heartless parents by "charging" him to live with us lol. His job is walking distance from home so he won't be moving out anytime soon! Graduation on Friday and our eldest 2 are coming home to celebrate with us.

• Like 10

well done to your son Julie and enjoy his graduation on Friday, especially with the other 2 coming home as well. I don't know if it is the same with you but it is becoming rarer for me to have all 3 of mine home at the same time these days, even though the youngest is still at school.  Graduation day for us still is 'should be on a Wednesday, probably in September but possibly November'. I would have expected the university to know by now!

• Like 1

Thanks 2dm :-)

Youngest had been in his job a week and they've promoted him!!! 21st birthday on Sunday so more to celebrate

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, JulieW said:

Thanks 2dm :-)

Youngest had been in his job a week and they've promoted him!!! 21st birthday on Sunday so more to celebrate

Oh my goodness Julie that's wonderful news !!

1 hour ago, meadowblythe said:

Lisa, wondering how Sean is getting on?  Has he gone to Uni yet>

Hello Meadowblythe. Thanks for asking. How weird, but just as I was reading you email message, Sean messaged me from upstairs [ do other families do that ? LOL] telling me he has been offered a job as a Customer Service Adviser at Teleperformance. He and about 10 others had an interview only at 9.30 this morning, so they must be desperate, ha !!  He will be working on the e.on contract, handling phone calls, emails and messages online from e.on's electricity and gas customers.  He really wants to start at Uni in the first year at the same time as everyone else, not going into year two, where everyone else will have made friends the year previously. But he only has two years of Higher Education funding left after his HND, so will have to pay for the first year himself. Fortunately, he is entitled to his full maintenance loan from the first year. Also fortunately, tuition fees here are only £4,030 a year. My sister and her husband have said they will be able to give him at least a thousand pounds towards the tuition fees, which is really, really lovely of them. He also has about two and an half thousand in a bank account looked after by his grandmother. His father left this money to him when he died. I'm hoping and assuming the money is still there and his family haven't spent it !!  From what i've heard about Teleperformance it will be an interesting experience, if nothing else. It's 40 hours a week, at £7.05 an hour. Totted up that might sound alright, but my £100 a week Housing Benefit will stop, and out of that money he'll have to pay the landlord . Apparently you're timed how long you take to have a pee, and if you are late you are screamed at in front of everyone. I told him to get his head down, do what he's told and work his hours. Put away as much as he can each month and then when he has around £4K, or maybe less if he can get money from other sources, to bail out and look for something else, or head off to uni either next year or the year after.  

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Lisa

Sounds like Sean is growing up fast - making decisions and taking control of things.  

Good luck to him, and you.  I hope it all goes well.

• Like 1

Well, it's now over 5 years since I started this thread, and my daughter's now in her last few months until finals and hopefully qualifying as a vet. She wants to move to the Cambridge area (very longstanding boyfriend works and lives there) so if anyone knows any vets in the area who might want a new graduate, please do let me know!! She's got a placement in the area in the spring and keeps an eye on the job press but it doesn't hurt to ask just in case any of you have any "contacts" 😉

• Like 11

I can ask who my friends vet is who live just south of Cambridge in Sawston....sorry just seen this!

• Like 1

As some of you know, our eldest daughter has ADHD. Despite being very clever, she didn’t fulfill her potential at school where she was badly treated by staff and pupils alike. I didn’t find out just how badly until much later. Consequently she dropped out of university after her first year and was not in a good place at all. She went into a very temporary zero hours contract job for a few years and then moved on to be a receptionist at a private medical clinic. She did much more than that and when she finally left to join the NHS her employer was very upset. Five years after becoming what she describes as a “notes monkey” she has been mentored by several of the medical and clerical staff who have stated that she’s wasted there, she now has a choice of no less than four career pathways opening up to her! I am so happy for her. She deserves it so much. 

• Like 11

That's wonderful news about your eldest daughter, Fiz. Many congratulations to her.x

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fiz said:

Thanks, Lisa. x

How are you keeping? I think of you often. PM me if you like x

• Like 1

That’s so sweet of you. I’m not too bad, thanks. x

• Like 1

I'm so happy to hear that Fiz - I wish her lots of luck x

• Like 2