Jump to content

Elmhurst Young Dancer auditions 2020


Dancingsantosisters
 Share

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, LilyLongLegs said:

Also a not yet for DD for Y5 Birmingham. Disappointed as she has loved attending some workshops there but she has been offered and accepted a place on Ballet Boost Junior Associates so is thrilled to be starting that. The fact her new kit for there had arrived today felt a bit like fate when the no arrived. Well done to all the yes DC, and keep trying to the Not yets. Xx

Great that she has Ballet Boost to look forward to, that’s a great achievement in itself! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Unfortunately it's a no for my DD  Yr 6 but the I had a gut feeling it would be as the audition didn't go too well. She's a bit disappointed as she was offered a Year 5 place last year but sadly had to decline. She has yr6 RBS JAs, lower mids Ballet Boost and EYB to focus on in Sep, It's a strange old world this ballet malarkey 🤣 especially when you don't have a ballet background... roll on vocational auditions for YR7... I'm dreading it! 🤣

Congratulations to all who got a yes and to the nos.. remember,  it's not a no, just a not yet x


Sounds like your DD has had a super year getting into JAs, Ballet Boost etc. Big things ahead for sure and I’d chalk Elmhurst up to experience, especially given zoom etc. Well done to her. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BellaF said:


Sounds like your DD has had a super year getting into JAs, Ballet Boost etc. Big things ahead for sure and I’d chalk Elmhurst up to experience, especially given zoom etc. Well done to her. 

Thankyou so much, she's really quite resilient but she just wonders why after a yes in yr5... I told her she will never know and to look forward  not back. I reminded her of the crazy ride we've been on and she only started ballet 3 and half yeas ago and already made so many memories and had so many experiences 😊 she got into RBS JA last year and BB last year too and has been offered a further year with both x

Edited by Crazylifecrazykids
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Unfortunately it's a no for my DD  Yr 6 but the I had a gut feeling it would be as the audition didn't go too well. She's a bit disappointed as she was offered a Year 5 place last year but sadly had to decline. She has yr6 RBS JAs, lower mids Ballet Boost and EYB to focus on in Sep, It's a strange old world this ballet malarkey 🤣 especially when you don't have a ballet background... roll on vocational auditions for YR7... I'm dreading it! 🤣

Congratulations to all who got a yes and to the nos.. remember,  it's not a no, just a not yet x

Oh sorry to hear that, but you have a right positive attitude. It is really hard to do audition in limited space and being at mercy your internet upload speed. There might be as well factor of social distancing, so maybe not so many places available. EYB is great. My DD is  doing it past 2 weeks as Tchaikovsky Gala - in fact the first live classes 😊 and she really enjoys every moment of that. Hoping for real show next year. Good luck with all dancing adventures and for vocational auditions. 🤞

Edited by Mum of unicorn dancer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mum of unicorn dancer said:

Oh sorry to hear that, but you have a right positive attitude. It is really hard to do audition in limited space and being at mercy your internet upload speed. There might be as well factor of social distancing, so maybe not so many places available. EYB is great. My DD is  doing it past 2 weeks as Tchaikovsky Gala - in fact the first live classes 😊 and she really enjoys every moment of that. Hoping for real show next year. Good luck with all dancing adventures and for vocational auditions. 🤞

I thought along similar lines. It’s great that Elmhurst did actually run auditions, but there are so many factors that made this different to a ‘normal’ audition. Same with the way RBS are running their JA auditions via video.... In a normal audition, they all disappear off into the same room, and are exposed to exactly the same conditions, and its all very equal and fair (except maybe when they separate the older children and the younger ones within the same year group). But this year, there are a million different factors every child will be exposed to. My DS has to dance on carpet for the first time, we had to close all the windows so he could hear properly, but it was ridiculously hot in the house. There were space issues, and so many distractions out of his control. Not to mention poor internet speed and broken sound. Every child who auditioned should feel incredibly proud for doing so under very unique and challenging conditions.

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Grammar error
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mum of unicorn dancer said:

Oh sorry to hear that, but you have a right positive attitude. It is really hard to do audition in limited space and being at mercy your internet upload speed. There might be as well factor of social distancing, so maybe not so many places available. EYB is great. My DD is  doing it past 2 weeks as Tchaikovsky Gala - in fact the first live classes 😊 and she really enjoys every moment of that. Hoping for real show next year. Good luck with all dancing adventures and for vocational auditions. 🤞

Ahh thankyou so much... we found it all a bit stressful but it was a great experience for my DD regardless of outcome and she has learnt from this too and if she ever has to do a zoom audition again (hopefuly never) she would at least have some experience because our ballet journey has been pretty crazy we've learnt early on there are so many highs and lows.. we tend to get over the lows fairly quickly and she is becoming very resliant as a result. Good luck to your childs dancing journey and enjoy every minute xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I thought along similar lines. It’s great that Elmhurst did actually run auditions, but there are so many factors that made this different to a ‘normal’ audition. Same with the way RBS are running their JA auditions via video.... In a normal audition, they all disappear off into the same room, and are exposed to exactly the same conditions, and its all very equal and fair (except maybe when they separate the older children and the younger ones within the same year group). But this year, there are a million different factors every child will be exposed to. My DS has to dance on carpet for the first time, we had to close all the windows so he could hear properly, but it was ridiculously hot in the house. There were space issues, and so many distractions out of his control. Not to mention poor internet speed and broken sound. Every child who auditioned should feel incredibly proud for doing so under very unique and challenging conditions.

Couldn't agree more.. we spent the whole week testing, buying LAN cables, sorting a suitable place etc etc but when it came to audition day it was so hot and my DD seemed to forget she was on Zoom at times! She kept taking out loud 🙄 looking at me, got on the wrong foot so many times... I just don't think after so much prep her head was quite where it should be, so she has learnt a few valuable lessons 🤣🤣 one being to remain focussed and remember she's in an audition for even though she's at home! 🤣 strange times we live in but all forms the great tapestry of life! Congratulations to you DS hope he enjoys every minute 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Couldn't agree more.. we spent the whole week testing, buying LAN cables, sorting a suitable place etc etc but when it came to audition day it was so hot and my DD seemed to forget she was on Zoom at times! She kept taking out loud 🙄 looking at me, got on the wrong foot so many times... I just don't think after so much prep her head was quite where it should be, so she has learnt a few valuable lessons 🤣🤣 one being to remain focussed and remember she's in an audition for even though she's at home! 🤣 strange times we live in but all forms the great tapestry of life! Congratulations to you DS hope he enjoys every minute 😊

That’s very kind. Thank you! And best of luck to you DD for her academic year in ballet 😊 🩰 Though he had his fair share of problems also, and enough went ‘wrong’ for him to feel it didn’t go well. He started nearly everything on the wrong foot. His brain seemed to see left but hear right, and confused him the whole time. It felt more like The Krypton Factor at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

That’s very kind. Thank you! And best of luck to you DD for her academic year in ballet 😊 🩰 Though he had his fair share of problems also, and enough went ‘wrong’ for him to feel it didn’t go well. He started nearly everything on the wrong foot. His brain seemed to see left but hear right, and confused him the whole time. It felt more like The Krypton Factor at times.

Well absolute credit it to him he got through it and got in, fun year ahead!

Thankyou,  she's looking forward to it, more so RBS JAs year 6 do pirrouettes haha.. I love her view of the world! She was moved up in Ballet Boost to lower mids and her main excitement was needing to get a new uniform leotard as it's a different colour!! She's nuts but wouldn't have it any other way 😊

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LilyLongLegs said:

It was definitely an experience for all no matter the outcome 😂 especially us parents/carers! Trying to do a zoom audition in a caravan awning in the wilds of Devon on a mobile phone with no ballet leotard or shoes was an experience not to be repeated! 🤤

Wow you were really up against it, all credit to her and you for doing it! amazing 😊 x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking back with the benefit of hindsight probably shouldn't have done it but was the only option available and she desperately wanted to try. She felt the audition went well all considering so at least it was a positive experience for her despite the not yet! 😍

Edited by LilyLongLegs
Spelling
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree it's all a massive learning curve and also life lessons. My parents were cautious about my DD auditioning as they said what if she doesn't get a place - in my opinion she needs to learn that sometimes it's a no but then other times it's a yes. The industry is tough so i think they'll be many knocks along the way. It may sound really harsh but i think the world of dance is to.

 

I've enjoyed the support we've all given each other here. We've shared highs and lows as well as helping each other with tips etc. Thank you to you all and well done to all the parents - we all smashed it regardless of outcomes 👏 xx

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/08/2020 at 10:50, Dancingsantosisters said:

 in my opinion she needs to learn that sometimes it's a no but then other times it's a yes. The industry is tough so i think they'll be many knocks along the way. It may sound really harsh but i think the world of dance is to.

 

 

 

You're spot on with this.  In my opinion it helps to learn how to handle the no's early on, because they're definitely going to come somewhere along the line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

This will be my daughters first ever audition and we don’t know what to expect. Could someone talk me through what happens usually on the day? She is auditioning for yr4 entry at Manchester. Also is it particularly difficult to secure a place? Many thanks 

Is it a live audition or via zoom ? Xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

Thank you, do you know what happens during the audition, I have read it is like a class? 

 

When my DD auditioned (via zoom) it was a basic class with a short section to check facility and an improv.

 

Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

Thank you, do you know what happens during the audition, I have read it is like a class? 

When DD auditioned for year 4 last year it was about an hour long class, with warm up, stretches, barre and centre work and some improv. I think it depends on your centre as to how many they take (how big the class is). We both really enjoyed the day and got an ice cream in the park after. it’s best just to see it as a chance to dance in the studios with the teachers and the pianist and have fun, it’s a lovely class.x 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Astrid said:

When DD auditioned for year 4 last year it was about an hour long class, with warm up, stretches, barre and centre work and some improv. I think it depends on your centre as to how many they take (how big the class is). We both really enjoyed the day and got an ice cream in the park after. it’s best just to see it as a chance to dance in the studios with the teachers and the pianist and have fun, it’s a lovely class.x 

Thank you, I’ll speak to her teacher to help her prepare. We have had confirmation that we will be going to the school itself for the audition and she is in group 4. Do you know if that affects her chances? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

Thank you, I’ll speak to her teacher to help her prepare. We have had confirmation that we will be going to the school itself for the audition and she is in group 4. Do you know if that affects her chances? 

Does what affect her chances being in group 4? They just group them (usually by DOB) because there are X number applying and they have to be split into groups. I can’t see how being in the school or on zoom will make any difference. It’s the same audition. If they want you they want you, if they don’t, just keep going and apply for everything as long as it’s enjoyable?😃 you can’t prepare really for these things because so much of it is based on physical attributes as much as anything. as many people have said to me (and I am seriously no expert in fact the opposite )  - best to just enjoy the teachers, the studio and the chance to dance with a pianist which is a treat in itself (it was for us anyway)! we have had many no’s..probably 50% of things she has tried have been no..it’s hard for sure, but then she just cracks on 🙂. She will have a great time regardless! And you might get a yes which would be icing on cake! 🙂 it’s totally natural to feel nervous I wouldn’t have been able to do these things age 8 that’s for sure..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...