Elmhurst Young Dancer auditions 2020

Dancingsantosisters

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/08/2020 at 10:50, Dancingsantosisters said:

in my opinion she needs to learn that sometimes it's a no but then other times it's a yes. The industry is tough so i think they'll be many knocks along the way. It may sound really harsh but i think the world of dance is to.

You're spot on with this.  In my opinion it helps to learn how to handle the no's early on, because they're definitely going to come somewhere along the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

This will be my daughters first ever audition and we don’t know what to expect. Could someone talk me through what happens usually on the day? She is auditioning for yr4 entry at Manchester. Also is it particularly difficult to secure a place? Many thanks 

Is it a live audition or via zoom ? Xx

8 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

Thank you, do you know what happens during the audition, I have read it is like a class? 

When my DD auditioned (via zoom) it was a basic class with a short section to check facility and an improv.

Good luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

Thank you, do you know what happens during the audition, I have read it is like a class? 

When DD auditioned for year 4 last year it was about an hour long class, with warm up, stretches, barre and centre work and some improv. I think it depends on your centre as to how many they take (how big the class is). We both really enjoyed the day and got an ice cream in the park after. it’s best just to see it as a chance to dance in the studios with the teachers and the pianist and have fun, it’s a lovely class.x 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Astrid said:

When DD auditioned for year 4 last year it was about an hour long class, with warm up, stretches, barre and centre work and some improv. I think it depends on your centre as to how many they take (how big the class is). We both really enjoyed the day and got an ice cream in the park after. it’s best just to see it as a chance to dance in the studios with the teachers and the pianist and have fun, it’s a lovely class.x 

Thank you, I’ll speak to her teacher to help her prepare. We have had confirmation that we will be going to the school itself for the audition and she is in group 4. Do you know if that affects her chances? 

3 hours ago, Littledancegirl said:

Thank you, I’ll speak to her teacher to help her prepare. We have had confirmation that we will be going to the school itself for the audition and she is in group 4. Do you know if that affects her chances? 

Does what affect her chances being in group 4? They just group them (usually by DOB) because there are X number applying and they have to be split into groups. I can’t see how being in the school or on zoom will make any difference. It’s the same audition. If they want you they want you, if they don’t, just keep going and apply for everything as long as it’s enjoyable?😃 you can’t prepare really for these things because so much of it is based on physical attributes as much as anything. as many people have said to me (and I am seriously no expert in fact the opposite )  - best to just enjoy the teachers, the studio and the chance to dance with a pianist which is a treat in itself (it was for us anyway)! we have had many no’s..probably 50% of things she has tried have been no..it’s hard for sure, but then she just cracks on 🙂. She will have a great time regardless! And you might get a yes which would be icing on cake! 🙂 it’s totally natural to feel nervous I wouldn’t have been able to do these things age 8 that’s for sure..

• Like 1