Shin pain

famcandance2

My dd has been dancing since she was three. She is now 12 and has suddenly developed a pain down the front of one shin but only when doing one particular excercise. She is not in pain when walking or dancing so don't think it's a shin splint. She only gets pain on the one side when putting her nose to her knee. Has anyone got any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

Sounds like some tightness in the upper calf muscle. Probably related to growing as bones grow faster than muscles, and your DD is at the 'growth spurt' age. Have a go at massaging her calves, with a bit of oil or lotion, and really try to iron out the 'knots' (she might not like it too much though!) and then do some really gentle but long (1min) calf stretches (my students stand in parallel 4th with both feet facing forwards then bend the front knee.) Also some hamstring stretches (long and gentle) might help too... Good luck :)

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Unfortunately we have to sort it as not doing this excercise is not an option. She does Cecchetti and has an excercise where she puts her foot on the bar and then bends forward. I don't think they'll let her off this in the exam, so she needs to find the cause. I will try all your suggestions and let you know what works. Thanks again.

If not doing the exercise is not an option I would suggest firstly speaking to the teacher about it. Possibly there is something slightly wrong in the technique which is putting strain where it shouldn't. Also teacher may have some suggestions as to cause or possible solutions.

And if you don't get to the bottom of it this way - then see a physio.

ItsCecchetti standard 5. Her teacher thought it might be a shin splint but the gp says not. Having looked at Lisa Howells blog on neural movement, I'm inclined to think it could be a nerve that is caught. Doctor recommended ibuprofen for a few days to see if that helps in case of slight inflammation of the nerve. She has stopped doing that particular excercise but has continued to stretch in other ways that don't hurt.

Hi all

We have had dd go for a neck and back massage and the pain in her shin is gone! Well done Lisa Howell. We think it must have been a caught nerve and releasing the neck and back muscles released the nerve. It also made her a lot more flexible. Anyone with a similar problem, I would really recommend the balletblog as there are some really good tips and you can ask questions and get answers from an expert. Thanks for all your advice and support.

• Like 3

That's great you manage to find a solution famcandance. I have been so impressed with Lisa Howell's approach to flexibility that I have just ordered her flexibility program, for both myself and for my dancing kids (and it's not cheap!). Thanks for drawing my attention to her work.

You're welcome Beljul. Wish more teachers would use her methods cos I think she is very good. We have the front splits fast book (also not cheap) and it deals with all sorts, not only the splits. It has great excercises in it and is very inspiring. It's also great to know you can ask a question of an expert and get a reply. Hope you enjoy your programme.