UK Chancellor announces rescue package for the arts

19 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Looks like help might be on its way (zoom in on the embedded front page):

I enlarged the imaged and cropped it - from tomorrow's FT front page

FT.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, capybara said:

Good news, but what about dance and other companies which don't have their own venues? They need help too!

Seeing as Tamara Rojo has been by all accounts influential in this process, I hope they have not been overlooked.

The announcement is very broad brush - more will doubtless emerge this week.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/05/boris-johnson-uk-lifeline-arts-heritage-sector-afloat

"Tamara Rojo, the artistic director of English National Ballet, said: “The arts contribute so much to the social and economic fabric of our society. There was an urgent need for action and I am delighted and relieved that the government has listened and responded. This package gives our sector a fighting chance of survival.”

Edited by oncnp

An injection of £1.5bn to save a tax contribution of some £110bn.  Seems like a no-brainer.

What on earth took them so long?  And couldn't it have been done before venues and jobs were lost for good?

43 minutes ago, oncnp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/05/boris-johnson-uk-lifeline-arts-heritage-sector-afloat

"Tamara Rojo, the artistic director of English National Ballet, said: “The arts contribute so much to the social and economic fabric of our society. There was an urgent need for action and I am delighted and relieved that the government has listened and responded. This package gives our sector a fighting chance of survival.”

ENB doesn't "own" its own venue.  If Tamara Rojo is happy, then I hope I can assume that suggests that funding for companies will be provided in some form.  How, I don't know.  For those companies which are Arts Council clients, will it be distributed through the AC?

I don't know how these things work, but I hope that the redundancies can be reversed.  The implication is that those venues which have already closed are a lost cause :(

• Like 2

This must be the money I'd heard rumours of a week or so ago. If it truly is new money and not existing money relabelled then it is excellent news, and I think we must give huge thanks to Tamara Rojo and her fellow taskforce members for fighting our corner so ably.

• Like 4

The news was embargoed until 10.30pm tonight (5th July) but the early editions of the daily press came out before that time and articles in today's papers (.e.g. the ST) were written a day ahead of anything being finalised.

• Like 1

Sam Mendes launches fund for theatre workers hit by Covid-19 crisis

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/sam-mendes-launches-fund-for-theatre-workers-hit-by-covid-19-crisis/ar-BB16mEck?ocid=ASUDHP

The Theatre Artists Fund promises quick access to one-off grants of £1,000 per applicant. “We have created a fund to which the most vulnerable freelance theatre practitioners can now apply,” said Mendes. “It is specifically designed for theatre workers who find themselves at breaking point, for those unable to put food on the table or to pay bills, or for those considering leaving the profession altogether.”

As no doubt others will be aware, the Public Campaign for the Arts have sent round an email headed 'The start of something good'. Given what the widespread response would no doubt have been to anything falling even slightly short of hope/expectation, this package is clearly regarded as very and surprisingly generous. So although there are clearly still difficulties ahead (and behind), I'm both relieved and impressed. I hope that the funds will be made available asap.

• Like 4

It is the best news for some time and such a fund should stave off the very worst.

I have sometimes been critical of Ms Rojo, but a very hearty Vote of Thanks and a large bouquet is due on this occasion.

I can  imagine she was highly effective (not an easy person to say No to.)

• Like 5

This is very welcome news and I am sure that we are all waiting with some considerable anticipation as to the timetable and fine detail that will allow the sector to get up and running. 
What would now help for those close to London would be reversal of the newly increased congestion charge now applicable from 7.00 am - 22.00 pm throughout the entire week and weekend which which will deter those unwilling to use public transport from driving in to enjoy our theatres, galleries and museums. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, alison said:

What on earth took them so long?  And couldn't it have been done before venues and jobs were lost for good?

I too was getting impatient, but sometimes you have to wait longer to get a better deal (and as others have noted, this is at the upper end of expectations). There will have been a lot of calculations and evidence gathering behind it.

• Like 9

Yes of course there are many provisos  and questions and not everyone will get help; the situation is still dire...but it should still stave off the very worst. I intend to feel cheered up just for one day.

• Like 4

Guest oncnp
36 minutes ago, Mary said:

Yes of course there are many provisos  and questions and not everyone will get help; the situation is still dire...but it should still stave off the very worst. I intend to feel cheered up just for one day.

Sorry...didn't mean to be a downer. 'Much to be cheered about.

I see Rishi Sunak is debating about giving everyone vouchers to spend in certain hard hit areas such as the High Street or the Arts. £500 for every adult and £250 for every child has been mentioned to try and kick start the economy. If this goes ahead (even if it's not as generous as this) it will be a great way to support the arts.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/05/sunak-considers-500-vouchers-for-all-uk-adults-to-spend-in-covid-hit-firms

• Like 1

It is indeed new money to be made available.

ACE have announced details of emergency grants made to their NPOs, making it clear that entities that are not currently in urgent need (though they may have longer term issues) did not receive funding in this round.  Amongst other entities to receive funding, the list includes Ballet Black, Contemporary Dance Trust, ENB, Hofesh Shechter Company, Jasmin Vardimon Dance Company, Northern Ballet, Rambert and Sadler’s Wells.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

It is indeed new money to be made available.

ACE have announced details of emergency grants made to their NPOs, making it clear that entities that are not currently in urgent need (though they may have longer term issues) did not receive funding in this round.  Amongst other entities to receive funding, the list includes Ballet Black, Contemporary Dance Trust, ENB, Hofesh Shechter Company, Jasmin Vardimon Dance Company, Northern Ballet, Rambert and Sadler’s Wells.

Just a little more detail from The Stage  - 

Arts Council England has announced support for 196 of its 829 national portfolio organisations, with money given to those who have shown they are at most urgent risk.

London dance organisations Sadler’s Wells and English National Ballet have been given the biggest grants, of £1.5 million and £1.35 million respectively.

Of the total funding offered, 39% was offered to organisations in London, 27% granted to organisations in the north, 17% to organisations in the Midlands with the South East and South West given 9% and 8% respectively.

Edited by Bruce Wall

14 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

.ACE have announced details of emergency grants made to their NPOs, making it clear that entities that are not currently in urgent need (though they may have longer term issues) did not receive funding in this round.  Amongst other entities to receive funding, the list includes Ballet Black, Contemporary Dance Trust, ENB, Hofesh Shechter Company, Jasmin Vardimon Dance Company, Northern Ballet, Rambert and Sadler’s Wells.

Just to be clear, this is ACE’s emergency funding for which applications were invited in April. The role of ACE in distributing the newly announced package has not been clarified , as yet, according to its website.

• Like 3