Tring CBA Associates auditions 2020

MissEmily

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Overmyhead# said:

We got a very nice not yet, with some detailed feedback. 

Actually saved us the trouble of deciding between other associates that we had already accepted so no bad thing!

Sorry to hear that, but like you say, it would have had to have been an either/or, and it’s amazing to be on another associates anyway.

I would be interested to know if everyone's "no" letters have this same paragraph:

"...we would like to acknowledge that that your dancing was of a good standard and that we still see potential for improvement.  It is for this reason that we feel that with further training, you might be ready at the next opportunity and would therefore like to recommend that you train hard and consider re-auditioning in the future."

Do they say this to everyone? Thank you!

2 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

I would be interested to know if everyone's "no" letters have this same paragraph:

"...we would like to acknowledge that that your dancing was of a good standard and that we still see potential for improvement.  It is for this reason that we feel that with further training, you might be ready at the next opportunity and would therefore like to recommend that you train hard and consider re-auditioning in the future."

Do they say this to everyone? Thank you!

Yes & with the areas to work on...which I assume are different for each student 🤣🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ballet Power said:

My dd was a not yet too. Just wondered how personal the feed back was? 
we were told her standard of dancing was good and she shows potential for further training but needs to improve ports de bras. Was yours similar? 
we will try again next summer 

Our feedback was 

“correct posture with the pelvis realigned, articulated foot-work and refined port de bras.”  

Tring CBA, from my experience, seem to have three letters. The “yes” one; the “not yet one”, and a very nicely worded “no” one (which can later turn into a not yet or a yes!). We had a “not yet” the first time round, followed by a “yes” at the next round of auditions, so the not yet really is a not yet.

The groups At CBA have had to be made smaller so there will be so few spaces available this time round.

Dont be disheartened, it’s definitely worth trying again and it’s a brilliant Associates scheme ☺️

Edited by TwoDancers
Spelling
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, TwoDancers said:

Tring CBA, from my experience, seem to have three letters. The “yes” one; the “not yet one”, and a very nicely worded “no” one. We had a “not yet” the first time round, followed by a “yes” at the next round of auditions, so the not yet really is a not yet.

The groups At CBA have had to be made smaller so there will be so few spaces available this time round.

Dont be disheartened, it’s definitely worth trying again and it’s a brilliant Associates scheme ☺️

Thank you! That is good to hear. 

1 hour ago, TwoDancers said:

Tring CBA, from my experience, seem to have three letters. The “yes” one; the “not yet one”, and a very nicely worded “no” one (which can later turn into a not yet or a yes!). We had a “not yet” the first time round, followed by a “yes” at the next round of auditions, so the not yet really is a not yet.

It’s all path of the course as far as I’m concerned!

audidtions...win some, loose some! 

we got spaces at 2 associates, so really can’t grumble at all! 
This is our second time of trying for Tring and dd didn’t raise an eyebrow when she said she’ll try again next year! 
It’s all part of learning and experience ❤️❤️

• Like 1

I’ve seen a couple of variations of the “not yet” letter. One said something like “consider re-auditioning in the future” and the other said “consider re-auditioning at the next available opportunity on...” and this second one explicitly stated the next audition date month.  This is going back more than 3 years ago so perhaps the difference wasn’t material but I personally know that the child who got the second letter did get a place on her next attempt. Could be coincidence but it was definitely interesting at the time. 

• Like 1

Probably one of the most unfortunate factors must be restrictions because of Covid. There is a recent post on the @classicalballetacademytring Instagram account and it shows a studio with 9 clearly marked socially distanced spaces for students. I don’t know how big the studios or groups tend to be, but it’s hard to see how the groups could have expanded much for a fresh intake/expansion of the groups. It must have put a really downward pressure on the number of spaces. 

• Like 2

Absolutely, Balletboysdad.  Places at CBA are always in high demand and there are always more talented dancers than there are spaces.  Add to this the unpredictability and restrictions around COVID and they just won’t be able to offer more than a few spaces.

It’s unusual to get any feedback or personalised letters in auditions so people should try not to be disheartened or disgruntled if their letter was not as individual as expected - given the short timeframe I’m impressed they got the results out so quickly. 

Very well done to those with a “yes” and commiserations to those with a “no” or a “not yet”.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Probably one of the most unfortunate factors must be restrictions because of Covid. There is a recent post on the @classicalballetacademytring Instagram account and it shows a studio with 9 clearly marked socially distanced spaces for students. I don’t know how big the studios or groups tend to be, but it’s hard to see how the groups could have expanded much for a fresh intake/expansion of the groups. It must have put a really downward pressure on the number of spaces. 

Class sizes have been capped at 15 student s.  CBA classes don’t tend to be big but one group has had to be split into two for this term.  Another lovely thing (I think, personally) is that CBA groups aren’t by school year. So a group can have someone in year 4 and someone in year 7.  During the dreaded time leading up to full time auditions, should your child be so inclined to pursue this path,  I find this set up dilutes the shared stress etc that sometimes comes with associates grouped by year.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Class sizes have been capped at 15 student s.  CBA classes don’t tend to be big but one group has had to be split into two for this term.  Another lovely thing (I think, personally) is that CBA groups aren’t by school year. So a group can have someone in year 4 and someone in year 7.  During the dreaded time leading up to full time auditions, should your child be so inclined to pursue this path,  I find this set up dilutes the shared stress etc that sometimes comes with associates grouped by year.

I think it’s great when the younger ones see what the slightly older ones are doing alongside each other in the sane class. Personally, I think that’s highly inspiring and motivating. 

• Like 1

I don’t know how other parents felt, but the audition was pretty much the ‘first day of term’. My son did plenty of zoom classes until they ended in June, and a short online intensive in July, but I genuinely gave him a ballet-free August, also whilst we moved house, and let him use the summer to adjust to a new life. I’m not expert, but he would have been a lot more ‘rusty’ and raw than, say, if the auditions had taken place in March or April when they’ve had a full spring term of tuition. It’s great they could hold a Covid-safe live audition, however late or limited some might consider. But everyone was auditioning in far from normal timing and conditions so should be extremely proud of themselves. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BellaF said:

On the timetable sent, after the ballet class there’s a 45 minute session for ‘coaching/solos’ - can anyone already there she’s more light on what this is?  Thanks 😊 

This class is stretching and used to be repertoire, my daughter only had 4 sessions at CBA before lockdown but they were working every week on a piece (which I presume would have been demonstrated to us at the end of term watching week had lockdown not taken that luxury away!) I’m guessing they are moving to solos so that they will perhaps teach a set dance(s), but with the idea of performing it individually rather than requiring the children to be close creating a group piece. They also do stretching in that class. They did have two different teachers, one for the ballet and one for the coaching, and as I understand that will still be the case, it’s just they won’t move studio anymore. Hope that helps a bit😊 What group will your DD be in? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PurplePirouette said:

This class is stretching and used to be repertoire, my daughter only had 4 sessions at CBA before lockdown but they were working every week on a piece (which I presume would have been demonstrated to us at the end of term watching week had lockdown not taken that luxury away!) I’m guessing they are moving to solos so that they will perhaps teach a set dance(s), but with the idea of performing it individually rather than requiring the children to be close creating a group piece. They also do stretching in that class. They did have two different teachers, one for the ballet and one for the coaching, and as I understand that will still be the case, it’s just they won’t move studio anymore. Hope that helps a bit😊 What group will your DD be in? 

Thanks that's really helpful. Also good to hear that we get to watch at the end of term though I guess things might be a bit different at the moment!

DD is in group 1 - although she's 9 she's not that advanced in terms of RAD grades.

Yes, I can’t imagine we will be allowed to watch this term for obvious reasons, but as I understand it on the last week of term (in non-Covid times!) parents watch the ballet class then instead of the coaching class the children have a workshop in varying genres of dance so it could be contemporary/jazz etc, different each term. I *think* they’re also allowed to wear their own leotards for the final week too, although don’t quote me on that bit😆 We can’t wait to get back to Tring on Sunday, I hope your DD loves it as much as mine does! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PurplePirouette said:

And for the top groups of girls, this session was for pointework.  

3 hours ago, PurplePirouette said:

Yes, I can’t imagine we will be allowed to watch this term for obvious reasons, but as I understand it on the last week of term (in non-Covid times!) parents watch the ballet class then instead of the coaching class the children have a workshop in varying genres of dance so it could be contemporary/jazz etc, different each term. I *think* they’re also allowed to wear their own leotards for the final week too, although don’t quote me on that bit😆 We can’t wait to get back to Tring on Sunday, I hope your DD loves it as much as mine does! 

Thanks - she LOVED the audition so sure she will 😊

I’m pretty sure I read something in the info they sent out about wearing your own leotard on the last day. I probably should back and read properly 😂

• Like 1